Workplace Software Standards

Just getting an idea of what the “standard” software packages are being used at your workplace. If you do not work outside the home (stay at home spouse or student), feel free to chime in as well.

At work, the “standard”:

MS Windows 7 (although we have a beta of Win 8 ongoing…I hope I am not forced to migrate)
MS Office 2010 (Office 2013 is available and supported if desired…I use it and am getting used to it)
MS Lync (voice and text, video available if you have a webcam, which I do not)
MS Internet Explorer (although we can use Firefox if we want, but it is not officially supported)

Mobile phones can be any modern-ish version of Android (3.0+) or Windows (7.0+) but absolutely no IOS. Samsung Galaxy S4 phones were not approved (S2 and S3 were, however) for business use. HTC is the preferred vendor right now, unless you have a legitimate business need for a Blackberry.

Various engineering groups are permitted to use one of many flavors if Linux but since I am more in the business end, it is strongly suggested I used MS products to more align with the rest of the team (some of the software we have used in the past does not work well in WINE), although most of our tools are web based. I would prefer Linux but it is not worth the hassles I might run into.

At home we run mostly Linux, utilizing Libre Office with an old Win XP machine still plugging along to run 2 programs because I am too lazy to configure them to run in WINE in Linux. We had two Win XP machines but one died and since we have been short of cash I took an old laptop and put Ubuntu Linux on it for my wife and oddly enough she is happy, mostly because most of her computing is done via her Android phone or a PC web browser with Firefox.

For personal use, we have one Android Tablet running Jellybean and one Android phone also running Jellybean. I am able to use my work phone for both work and personal use.

Where I work:

MS Windows 7 Enterprise
MS Office 2007, although I use MS Office 2010 and they are saying they’re upgrading everyone to that this year
MS Lync
MS Internet Exploder, although everyone pretty much installs Firefox or Chrome on their ow and uses that instead :smile:

FileZilla is on the banned list for everyone except HR, since we use it to upload payroll to our third-party processor in India.

Oh boy…

OS: Generally Win 7, a mix of Professional and Enterprise. There may still be one or two WinXP machines floating around, but ever since they resolved the Win 7 license “issue” here, most people are on Win 7.
Office: Mostly 2007, a few people still have 2003 I think. We’re moving our email to MS’s 365 platform on Friday though, so I can’t wait to hear the massive bitchfest that stems from that.
Internal IM: Barracuda IM client.We used to use Office Communicator a couple years ago, but apparently that cost too much, and since we had a Barracuda web filter they got the IM thing for free.
Browser: Generally IE 8, since that’s the latest version that works with the version of Siebel our helpdesk ticketing system uses. Those of us in supervisory spots and higher with company laptops instead of the crappy desktops that are scattered around generally install another browser alongside for actual browsing.

I’m somewhat surprised I haven’t been handed a corporate cell phone yet, though I’d hate it if I did, since the current corporate cell of “choice” (i.e. what They decide everyone gets) is an iPhone 3GS.

Personally, I’ve got a Win 7 gaming rig at home, along with a Macbook Pro and an Ubuntu XBMC box. Phonewise, I’m stuck with my Verizon Galaxy Nexus for the time being (with a dying microphone), and I’ve got a 2013 model Nexus 7 as well.

We have a standard OS here with software regularly pushed down by our group policy and admin rights taken away. It is because of this that I wiped my laptop and installed Windows 8 with all if the software I need from our TechNet license and did not rejoin to the domain. Take that! You corporations can go screw!

Tools: Outlook 2010 and Office 2007

IM and soft phone: Cisco Unified Office Communicator. Works well, but is limited (in my opinion) for the amount of memory this thing hogs (~200MB - 250MB).

Interwebs: Internet Exploder 8 (limited, as some web assets are set to not load). Or Citrix loaded Internet Exploder 6 because some applications don’t run on anything newer (without paying more).

I just about cried with joy when I found out I could get Firefox if I managed to get it approved (bet your arse I did!).

Ours is a standard image as well: Win 7 Enterprise with Office 2010/Outlook/Lync and IE 10. We have a nice alacarte packaging system that allows us to install a host of useful software ad hoc, most of which I do not need. The image is a living organism, as it changes as things are tested and approved. Office 2013 and Lync 2013 are new. IE 10 is relatively new as well. I had been using IE 8 but our customer has things that don’t play well with IE so I upgraded.

Once approved, the software is put in the package delivery system and is not made mandatory until the old is no longer supported.

The one piece I forgot to add was encryption. The standard until Jan 1, 2014 was McAfee Endpoint Protection. Now they are using MS Bitlocker. I am not sure if I will have to “migrate” (shivers) of if I will do a pave and nuke and start over.

VPN connectivity is via custom internal product.

We have Windows 7 Professional. Mostly 64-bit but we do have a few oddball 32-bit boxen running around.

Office 2010 and Lync 2010.

IE 11, Firefox, and Chrome are all accepted browsers.

TrendMicro OfficeScan for AV.

Windows XP, though the new girl got Windows 7.
Office 2007, though again, the new girl got 2013 (I think)
Outlook 2007, guess what the new girl got
Firefox (Though Sharepoint only works in IE, so I have whatever version the internet forces me to have of that too)
Adobe Writer 10 or something, New girl just has reader, take that!
Symantec AV
Encryption is McAffee, but I never see it.

The standard SOE for everyone now consists of:

• Windows 7 with BitLocker and Windows Defender (or whatever it is
    now).
  • Google Apps for just about everything (although everyone still
    sends around Word / Excel files)
  • IE something-or-other and/or FireFox.
  • Windows 7
  • IE 9 (for Sharepoint and a couple of other things - 10 has snuck onto a number of PCs via Windows Update but seems to work OK for the most part)
  • Chrome has been approved for actual internets
  • Office 2010 across the board
  • Cisco VPN
  • McAfee VirusScan Enterprise with ePO

It’s a free-for-all where I work right now, but that’s because I work at a weird place.

At the last two jobs, though, the situation was pretty locked down…with exceptions. At EMC and Symantec both, it was Windows 7, Office 2010+Outlook, Symantec AV, and either standard Dell or Thinkpad computers. However, if you were in sales, you could do literally anything you wanted. Personal iPhone? Sure. Just tell your manager and he’ll get your phone, whatever it is, added to the company plan and order your account to be activesync enabled. Bring your own Macbook Air? No problem—and if you can’t get it to work, just call IT and tell them you’re in SALES and they’ll take care of it.

I’m glad I was on the sales side, because I think I would have killed myself if I were in IT. On the other hand, hey, I got to use my own laptop and my own phone! It was great!

WinXP, IE8, Firefox 17 (well, various versions between 3.5 and 17 with no rhyme or reason). No phones; we only have two land lines, even. On the plus side, I can’t take work home.

For January, I was on a different assignment, preparing and teaching an unclassified 2.5-day class. I had to use my own laptop (a 2009 WinXP netbook), steal internet access wherever I could get it, and ended up buying some books and a DVD for the class out of pocket because the official process would take between 2 weeks and 8 months.

On the plus side, that netbook still works pretty well for what it does, and I didn’t have any particular restrictions on how I used it other than my own common sense.

1 Like