What's Your New Shiny?

I bought this kit. It is a 1-watt guitar amp. If the stars align, I will put it together today. Delivery was only a week from England.

https://www.electrosmash.com/1wamp

They also have a series of Arduino- and RaspberryPi-based programmable guitar effects pedals. If I can put this together without mucking things up too badly, I may try one of those next.

It took me about three hours. I am not very experienced in soldering, but I got a good deal better today.

Of course, my home possesses not a single spare 9v battery so I have no idea whether it works or not. Poor planning, yo.

I always have extra 9Vs kicking around because I have 7 smoke/CO detectors (yay modern building codes) and no one sells 7-packs of batteries. I end up buying a pack of batteries every 6 months and have leftovers.

I’m glad I persisted, because I found a battery and while it lit up, it didn’t really do anything. This caused me to examine it more closely, and realize that I’d soldered the 8-pin IC mount to the board, but never actually inserted the IC. In fact, I had thrown it away. Fortunately, it was easily recovered.

It still didn’t work, but that was because I was plugging my headphones into the wrong port because I’m an idiot. Now it works great.

A sewing machine. Because I decided to make rather than buy my Halloween costume.

And a new carriage light for on the house, and a photo eye for the lamp post. Both to be installed tomorrow after work, concluding my lighting project.

Kudos on making your own things! It can be frustrating (see @sig above), but is ultimately rewarding if you keep at it.

So this happened…

IMG_20180915_124814977_BURST000_COVER_TOP

So… This little old man wandered into my tech’s yard, and even though he is chipped and even though we called the number numerous times and left voicemail in English AND in Spanish, no one called to claim him. And since I already have one geriatric fluffy white dog with arthritis and urinary issues, what’s one more?? :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Installed a shiny new 1 TB SSD in the laptop over the weekend because the old drive was trying to bite the dust. It really is one of the better upgrades you can do. It’s almost like having an entire new machine. The good thing is after working on this migration for 4+ months (and at least another 1.5 months to go) I can pretty much set up Windows 10 in my sleep.

Yeah, a new SSD really breathes new life into old boxes!

+1.

My 1st gen i5 (built by me in 2009) was getting slow about the time Win10 came out, so I had planned to replace the boot drive and install clean anyway… decided to go SSD and wow, what a difference.

Now my 9-year-old box is still very serviceable (I don’t play modern games) and will likely last me another 3 years at least before it starts getting annoyingly slow.

I just have to get one into my laptop now (a slightly newer Stinkpad of very similar spec).

What Made You Happy Today?

You have a shiny knob and wanna showoff? :smile:

It’s the automobile anti-theft device that only works against millennials.

O, the wizard’s staff had a knob on the end.
It does! It does!
O, the wizard’s staff has a knob on the end.
It does!
O, the wizard’s staff has a knob on the end
And the wizard’s staff is the wizard’s friend.
It is! It is!

O, the wizard’s staff is long and hard.
It is! It is!
O, the wizard’s staff is long and hard.
It is!
O, the wizard’s staff is long and hard;
And the wizard plays with it in his yard.
He does! He does!

More here : https://www.lspace.org/fandom/songs/wizards-staff-2.html

Sometimes I worry about you, man.

:wink:

:stuck_out_tongue:

1. You can bugger the bear, if you do it with care,
    in the winter, when he is asleep in his lair,
    Though I would not advise it in spring or in fall–
    but the hedgehog can never be buggered at all.
  2. If you’re feeling quite coarse, you can bugger the horse,
    or the palfrey, the jennet, the stallion (with force),
    You can bugger the donkey, the mare, or the mule,
    Though to bugger the pony is needlessly cruel.
  3. You can bugger the ox (if you stand on a box)
    And vulpologists say you can bugger the fox,
    You can bugger the shrew, though it’s awfully small–
    but the hedgehog cvan never be buggered at all.
  4. Herptologists gasp you can bugger the asp,
    Entymologists claim you can bugger the wasp.
    If an insects your thing, man, then just have a ball–
    But the hedgehog can never be buggered at all.

https://www.lspace.org/fandom/songs/hedgehogsong.html

Terry Pratchett wrote an interesting number of bawdy songs for such a kid friendly series.

Gen Z as well. Pretty much anyone under 40. :slight_smile:

My wife (who is not, nor will she ever be) 40, is dreading the first time she has to drive it. Her parents made her learn how to drive a manual when she was in high school as a survival skill, but she hasn’t touched one since.

It’s best for all parties if I’m not the one who attempts to re-teach her.

If she’s driven one once, all she needs is some time in an empty parking lot. It’ll come back pretty easily. It’s not that hard, after all.

I taught my daughters how to drive one as an anti boyfriend stranded them device. Both of them ended up buying stick shifts as first cars.