What's Your New Shiny?

Dropped Verizon, got new phones and signed onto Project fi

Nice to have an up-to-date phone, with some added features. Nicer to know it’s not locked into Verizon’s schedule (or no schedule) and bloatware.

So far service has been fine. I’m not used to leaving WiFi on 24x7, but the battery in my new G6 seems to be carrying it just fine.

Phillips Hue: I bought a starter kit, a light strip, and 2 floodlights. I’m playing around with the settings.

I stop at this. It’s bad enough that Big G is controlling my mail, contacts and everything on my phone (Pixel XL) but I have to draw the line and letting it actually ‘be’ my carrier. People I know who are on it love it. But the the lack of bloatware is one of the reasons I buy G-phones. My Pixel is soon to stop receiving security updates so I’ll have to get a new phone again. Actually not looking forward to that but from what I do now I can say update your security. On everything. Don’t forget firmware updates. Go do it now.

I <3 my Hue lights. Still haven’t plugged in the SmartThings hub yet but I have started printing an arc for the Hue RGB strip. It’s supposed to be awesome.

My new shiny is my pi-hole (that sounds dirty). It’s nothing more than a custom DNS server but it was a snap to install. I have at least 3 unused Pi’s somewhere but when I want to actually use one, I can’t find one. Luckily, Gratch bought me a WD Labs PiDrive so I just used one of my project slots. I got the whole thing set up in about an hour including messing with the router settings. Now everything in the house that gets DHCP also gets ad blocking. I’ve switched over a few of the servers as well. Once I find a Pi, I’ll just transfer the image to an SD card and boot and go.

I know it’s a drain on your battery some, but I rarely turn it off. I have a pretty good data plan that I just can’t seem to use enough of, but I always use the WiFi at home and at any bar or strip club we happen to be at. It just seems wasteful not to.

Not really, but Canada has been pushing back hard at illegal immigration from the US. Trudeau made a trip to Florida to warn people not to try to go to Canada. Seems kind of ironic, on one hand bitches at the US for wanting to build a wall, on the other tells them they better not come to Canada.

Also, holy crap.

The country has been increasing the total number of immigrants it admits each year. It’s on pace to accept 310,000 permanent residents this year, with a goal of increasing the annual total to 340,000 by 2020.

OK, so at what point is it not Canada anymore? Can you culturally assimilate 1% of the population a year, every year?

Welcoming immigrants to our land is part of what makes Canada Canada. So we will always be Canada. BTW, I am the daughter of an immigrant.

I have long wanted to live in Canada, mostly because of the people I’ve met there and the feeling while being in communities. I completely agree that sentiment is inherent to Canada. If it were simpler to move there, I probably would have by now. Canada accepts differences as natural. There are always going to be @$$hats in any country, but the general vibe is that those people are outliers, not primo PM material.

My lovely girlfriend made me 3 new t-shirts from the Alabama Chanin patterns she bought, and they fit amazingly well. I love the look of the exposed stitching, the unfinished sleeve hems (which don’t fray!) and the colours she dyed them.