What Made You Happy Today?

I have a few bird feeders in the back yard. The one that looks like a house with a roof, trough and plastic panels to hold in the feed is the one the squirrels come to. One of them finally realized that they don’t have to stay hanging upside-down from the roof in order to eat. This one got what it wanted and climbed back up to sit on the roof.

I have the day off and have no need to go anywhere, which means I can completely avoid the Black Friday crazies and instead spend the day reading and writing.

I upgraded my graphics card. All by myself!!

Well, it’s been a long time coming… Ten weeks, to be exact, though it was festering for awhile before that. However, I’m actually finally pretty sure that my depressive fog has finally for good. Well, as good as it can until the next time. Been a good ten days and while I’ve still had some moments, the fog has cleared. Just in time for the holidays!

I found a bunch of goodies in the sewing machine. Besides the machine being all original, there are parts, bobbins, and even original instructions with it!!

That’s a much more complete setup than we found kicking around in the basement of our old house. But ours might be a tad older. I really need to pull that out and clean it up.

TLDR: I reconnected with a former boss, who took a chance on me when I was in a bad place in my life. Was able to tell her that I honestly didn’t think I’d be where I am today - which is a pretty damn good place - if it were for her and her COO having faith in me and giving me a chance and an opportunity.

Longer story: About 20 years ago I was in a not great place. I had quit my job in the investment industry with no new job due to stress and my mother being ill with some serious liver issues, which were eventually resolved but at the time were very worrying - to the point that I was willing to be tested as a live donor. Fortunately, I was able to get Employment Insurance thanks to my doctor at the time stepping up to bat for me. Even so, EI was about 1/5 of what I was making previously, and I had a mortgage to pay.

I signed up with a temp agency, and they sent me out on what was supposed to be a 3-6 week temp job as a clerk/admin assistant while the company was negotiating with a permanent exec assistant. Eight years later, when the company went under, I was still there and the person they hired originally was long gone.

In that eight years, I went from “here, photocopy this, please” to being their LAN administrator, webmaster, payroll administrator, office manager, data analyst, report programmer, as well as writing job descriptions for clients’ technical positions, as none of the consultants understood anything tech. In other words, anything they threw at me, I did - and was pleased to do. $President and $COO saw something in me that I didn’t even see in myself, and gave me encouragement and opportunities I had never even dreamed of.

It was an amazing company to work for, and an amazing group of people to work with, and I honestly don’t think I would be where I am today if they hadn’t had faith in me. And a few days ago, I finally got to tell $President that, and thank her for it. And, hopefully, we’re going to meet up for coffee next time she’s back up here.

That’s awesome. And it’s amazing how often just being willing to do the things that need to be done works out. I’m starting to think that the next job I have if that effort isn’t recognized it’s time to move on, even if it’s only recognized by being given more stuff. The new model company is miserable at recognizing effort rather than rote obedience.

Nice place to be, I’m glad you had that opportunity.

16 posts were split to a new topic: D&D Discussion

A (sort of) continuation to my previous post - last night I had supper with four of my former colleagues from $ConsultingFirm and it was wonderful. Haven’t seen some of them in almost 15 years, so it was great to catch up. We talked for hours, and we’re going to try and be better at keeping in touch.

Sentai Filmworks had a big sale on their anime products for Black Friday. I kept putting off ordering and missed it. They’re running another holiday sale with the same prices, some as little as $4 for the DVD version, so the only thing I might miss out on is if a particular item is out of stock now.