What Made You Happy Today?

My personal wardrobe has almost no green or brown (OK, OK… khaki pants and khaki kilts, but not brown) … so I would have loved dress blue instead of dress green.

The “pinks and greens” look is nice… but why not keep the black shoes every present service member wears!?

Change for the sake of change?

Yeah it’s a viral video with all that’s associated with it, but the reaction of this guy’s daughter is still worth it

Paralyzed RIT coach’s inspiring birthday dive makes splash on social

I probably should watch the local news more. That’s local to me, I’ve even walked through that room, and had no idea that was going on.

I am on active duty with the National Guard, but not AGR (full-time permanent), so I don’t get a clothing allowance. In theory they will buy my uniforms. In practice… I just spent about $500 to buy the dress blues (including tailoring and sewing and buying the shinies). I can’t even contemplate buying an OPTIONAL dress uniform, no matter how nice it looks. We simply don’t wear them often enough to be worthwhile.

But it’s the new workday uniform, not an optional dress uniform.

Or that’s how I read it.

Me, too. I thought it said something like everyday office worker uniform.
Maybe they want to make the people inside the Pentagon look as dated as the decor. (ba dum dum)
(I’ve never been inside the Pentagon, so I’m talking out of my ass. I did drive by it this summer, though!)

Was CCed on this email to my boss

Hi $Boss,

Hope you are well.

I wanted to take the time to recognize Force10 for the exceptional customer experience he provided with my laptop migration.

My old laptop was in very bad shape, slow to load, slow to transfer, and had a lot of history (a lot of work-related files saved in every random folder you can find). For my laptop refresh request, Force10:

• Took the time to carefully go through all my applications, and made sure all apps were replicated onto the new laptop.
• Gave me clear instructions on saving files, where to find them, and where to centralize.
• On the day of the migration, Force10 was extremely organized and thoroughly followed his checklist to ensure everything was considered and addressed.
• When challenges arose beyond his control, Force10 made sure to resolve them right away and was resourceful in seeking the right solutions to permanently fix those issues.
o Force10 was tremendously knowledgeable, familiar and adept with all the newest software applications and knew how to get around all bugs/defects
• Because of the magnitude of files on my laptop, I periodically found more missing files that I needed to migrate and Force10 went above and beyond to get my old laptop and help me recapture.
• Force10 consistently maintained a positive attitude throughout – even when I asked to retrieve more missing files.

Force10 took a very complicated process and took all the necessary steps to make what has typically been a bad experience for others, a great experience for me.

The $Employee_Recognition I gave Force10 did not have enough room for me to describe his diligent efforts in detail or the lengths he took to make this a positive experience, so I wanted to highlight that in this e-mail.

$Boss – I commend you for picking great talent for your team. You and Force10 help $Company be more successful.

When you’re a contractor this really helps your cause when it comes time to be made permanent or let go. This lady is my new best friend.

@Force10 - well done!

Your attitude has a lot to do whether you are successful or failing in your career.

If you have an “aw shucks” attitude, you will fail.

If you have a “Let’s go and get 'em!” attitude, people will like you and will want to make use of you, even though they will have to wait for you to be available.

Well done @Force10 ! Always nice to have the rank and file speak up for you.

When are they sending you for re-training? I mean, that kind of behavior cannot be tolerated or condoned in any way.

Tuesday afternoon I was let known by $manglement that one of our sites had a borked server. Assisted the onsite tech troubleshooting.

Verdict : server is dead.

Said server was shipped to us, and it arrived late on Wednesday afternoon.

I came in all bright-eyed and bushy tailed very early and started to assess the server.

Dead, yup. (HP ML350 G6)

Plonked out the redundant power supplies, and inserted the spare redundant power supplies.

First oops, spare PSU’s does not fit, they’re for another server.

So… it went a bit hither and thither, then I remembered we got another HP server in our server room. Removed one redundant power supply, it is longer than the original. So no go there.

Noticed my appy also have an HP server he played around with (leftover from one site after an server upgrade) - which is still working, and incidentally, have the exact same hardware configuration as the dead one.

Transferred the dead server’s PSU’s over, everything works. It was then that I declared the redundant controller circuit board to be dead. And it was the problem.

Transferred the entire RAID setup on an 1:1 basis from the dead server to appy’s server, switched it on, and success. Fired up, and everything worked from the get-go. (Apparently HP’s RAID stores the setup on the hard drives instead of on the RAID controller).

So, I’m super happy and chuffed. No data was lost, no time is needed to set everything up again, we can just ship it back to site.

Now if our resident electronics guru can figure out what the issue is with the redundant power supply controller… I have requested a quote anyway to see if it is affordable, but being HP it’ll cost you an arm, leg, kidney and left nut.

Yep, so if you are ever in a position to need to rebuild the RAID virtually in memory, it is a big, honkin’ pain in the butt. It is great if you’re company has settled on HP and you have spares or similar hardware laying around to try, though. I’ve had to do manual rebuilding twice and pray that I won’t have to ever again.
There is a chunk of space at the ‘beginning’ of the drive that is reserved for configuration data, but that space has to be excluded from the spaced used for storage in the RAID. That reserved chunk is not necessarily the same size on all controllers - it was 2MB on some of the ye olde controllers, but is much larger on newer hardware. Thankfully, at one time, I had access to some of the engineering/recovery config data, which listed out the config variables and in what offsets they were stored. That made it possible, but not easy to recreate the config in software and recover data from the array.

An easier way would be to have more than one good backup set. Just wipe the borked RAID, set it up as new, restore data and you’re off to go.

But heh, backups… he he he he

Nope, I do computer and digital forensics. Gotta preserve the original devices if at all possible. Most of the time, backups aren’t considered good enough for legal matters, like discovery requests. Plus, using backups would make it too easy for the other side to claim shenanigans. It opens a big can of worms, starting with “Did you preserve all the backup sets?” Thankfully, restoring backups is usually considered too difficult - can’t make them bend over backwards to respond to the discovery request by restoring backups, but can make them pay someone else to bend over backwards to preserve data from the original source. I know, kinda dumb.

Ah, one aspect which I haven’t considered at all. Interesting.

I got mentioned by name twice on a podcast this week.

Snowblower started up first pull after replacing the pull cord.

Replaced my 21yr old Toro snowblower (Still runs great, just no good with wet snow… clogs!) with this beauty:
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/snow-blowers/power-max-hd-1028-ohxe-38802
I did not pay full price. ~200.00 less.

It may seem pricey but if I get 20 years out of this one like I did the last one, it’s worth it!
I’m also a little meticulous when it comes to maintenance… any one else ever wax their snowblower?

I can’t wait to try it out. No, I take that back. I’d be quite happy to not use it at all!
But winters in New England are rarely without snow. Lets just call it insurance!

“Square just sent you $X,XXX.XX!”

Commas are nice.
Yeah, it was a good craft show weekend.

We made slow cooker butter chicken yesterday. And baked a loaf of bread (which will sadly sit until Thursday).