What Made You Happy Today?

This may be specific to LibreOffice on Linux. Export as PDF or Export Directly as PDF does fine with text, but on-screen graphics print like the resolution was dropped 50% or more. Made the text in some pictures almost unreadable.

We are under contract on the old house today. We dumped a bunch of cash and a hell of a lot of sweat into it and it paid off. Basically every dollar we put in was worth two on the back end. We close on June 10th.

Also today was my first day back at work. While we don’t need the money to survive, it is nice to have that cushion back in the budget, especially since all our credit cards are melted.

7 Likes

The weather forecast changed from about one last sunny day before a lot of rain to quite a few non-rainy days. I should be able to take my bicycle out. Yea!

1 Like

I have the next two days off and can put my house in order.

I have a haircut and a massage scheduled for next week

I ordered my new kitchen appliances and they will be delivered next week

My kids go to their dad’s next Wednesday for a week and a half and I will have the house all to myself… Including for three days off in a row

5 Likes

I work this Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. After that, I have a much needed 14 days off from work.

1 Like

I was supposed to have a 1-day drill weekend yesterday. I put in 25 hours between yesterday and today. But I don’t have to work tomorrow, at least.

The commander primarily responsible is rotating out two months early, in August. And my other boss is being replaced sooner, by a major I’ve known since I was a junior soldier and she was a brand new lieutenant and she’s amazing and I can’t wait.

3 Likes

Searching through some folders for a particular picture and coming across this from 2009:

specops

7 Likes

Got some more yeast in the shopping. It hasn’t been available for about 6 weeks and I was rationing our fresh loaves to try and make the last of our existing yeast hang on for just a bit longer.

So out of that 20 pounds we got were down to six. We’ve given away 13 and opened one ourselves. The pictures and stories of families making bread have been kind of cool.

2 Likes

It’s massage day! And tomorrow is haircut day! And get rid of the kids day! :joy::joy: I love my kids but ten weeks trapped in a house with them while trying to buy and sell a house and move really strains the patience.

3 Likes

We got a pound pack. It’ll last a year or two even at the rate I’m baking.

I did screw up a big two loaves of bread over the weekend. Leaving out the salt leads to really bland bread. I want tot ry that recipe again as it was a pre-ferment ‘poolish’ recipe I hadn’t done before and I’m hoping it tastes good with the salt included. The bread’s edible, just bland. If we have it as a snack we’re adding a little sea-salt before buttering just to make it passable.

Follow up to this post:

Mr. TM came home on Sunday. It seems the collapse was caused by a bleeding ulcer, but it’s sealed up now. He’s still a bit tired, but doing a lot better. He’s on iron tablets for the next 30 days, and has to watch what he eats for a while. (And what did he do yesterday? Got into the barbeque chips…sigh.) I think he’s getting a bit tired of me watching him like a hawk and asking him how he’s doing every few hours, but tough - I told him he’s going to have to put up with it for a while.

One of the biggest things that made me happy, aside from him being home, is the support you guys gave me through all this. Having this forum to be able to vent - something I couldn’t do with his or my family - really helped. So thank you for that.

7 Likes

I’m so glad to hear that he’s back home.

He’d better get used to being watched like a hawk, especially if he got into the chips first thing! :rofl:
I sure hope he knows that it’s because you care and were frightened half to death.

1 Like

Glad he’s home. I’ve had some extremely minor digestive tract issues and they can be really weird. (In my case I had issues swallowing for a few weeks. It’s really annoying lying in bed trying to sleep but you can’t swallow for some reason.)

The good thing is, since I’m the one who does all the cooking, I can steer what we eat for meals. And I glared mightily at him over the chips, so I don’t think that’ll be happening again.

1 Like

Oo. WifeGlare™.

1 Like

5 Likes

I successfully treated a hen for vent prolapse. It looked terrible, but she’s fine this morning.

2 Likes

I briefly touched on this in the Discord chat group.

Basically we’re making plans to get out of the city and move to the countryside.

This means that I will not be working at $company any more (early retirement).

We’re planning to do chicken+sheep+cow farming just to start off with, in order to generate an income.

Also I’ll look at the possibility of doing IT support (although I don’t want to) should we need an extra income.

Still talking and planning and dreaming at this stage.

2 Likes

Oo! That’s what I’m best at.

1 Like