What game are you playing today?

Apparently you don’t even have to kill anyone to win it.

This is true. There are several endings per the first few playthroughs depending on how many, if any, monsters you killed.

Sorry about that. I’m guessing you’re not getting anything from Crafty Celts, a local shop that does a lot of stuff for the History channel show Vikings.

(A fun CKII moment was playing as Norse and sacking Rome. Then conqyuering it! It was a bit of a boat-ride to get there. Left several people a bit annoyed with me.)

Just got overwatch and the first 2 star craft 2 games.
Overwatch is fun, but i dont see it living long at least in my house.

Have yet to play star craft 2, but it looks really great, will report more once i do play.

Starcraft 2 is pretty good. They realized people wanted a change from the Warcraft 3 paradigm of ‘warbands’ and focused more on the big armies people generally wanted. It’s a nice swing from the ‘hero’ focused design of WC3.

Also, the plot is interesting if not amazing. Note that each SC2 game uses unique upgrade mechanics for the campaign mode: As Terrans you buy unit upgrades by finding stuff and completing missions. As Zerg you gain genetic material which unlocks alternate versions of units, while the protoss units are unlocked by making various factions happy, which tends to unlock 1 choice as another is locked.

What I wouldn’t give to be playing this again for the first time.

Yeah, that game blew my mind. Everything was new and awesome.

I’ve been playing Victor Vran. Interesting demon slaying isometric game. It was on a Humble Bundle I wanted something else on, so it was basically free.

I’m trying to learn Paradoc’s Europa Universalis IV, which is similar to their better-known Crusader Kings, but replaces the blinding, castrating, and seduction of family members with more subjugation of indigenous peoples and exploration of the high seas.

Honestly, I feel a little creeped out playing CKII as so many have meme’ed it as being ‘about’ the aforementioned stuff. It’s not, although it does encourage some behaviors that would be incredibly messed up in real life. (Then again, most FPS games could be said to do this to, albeit in a different way.) CKII has an amazing ability to create situations in which it’s only logical to have your cousin assassinated and, sure, maybe marry your son to your sister to make sure the inheritance works out correctly.

EUIV is less approachable to me than CKII: the paradigm is different in a way that makes the game somehow more opaque. Kind of like Dwarf Fortress. CKII is clearly about playing as a dynasty, while EUIV is more about playing as a country. EUIV feels more ‘game like’ whereas CKII is akin to a role-playing game where there’s a strategic element (and a huge one), In CKII, you can play at a crude level by just making the choices you think your character should make, while EUIV feels more like pure strategy with some abstract elements like ‘rival slots’ that must be filled or bad things happen. (So, er, it’s worse to not have enemies. Or something.)

I’m terrible at EUIV, but enjoying playing it.

EUIV and I don’t play well together. I’ve tried it a couple different times, and either A) Some horrible random historical act puts me behind in the first few years, or 2: I get bored and try to take over the world.

Seeing as how that happened enough in history, or events close to or worse, I’m thinking at this point that it’s a pretty good simulator.

Sure, but it bothers me a bit that the CKII community is quite so obsessed with the less savory bits. There’s historical precedent, but usually only when there was a clear gain from it.

I’m still struggling with EUIV, but it’s getting more interesting. A big aspect is that (as the new player guides suggest) playing as a lot of smaller nations is a recipe for unhappiness. Sure, if you’re a genius you might be able to turn control of Cork into rulership of the British Isles and eventually the world, but it’s not going to be easy. Even the English start is just before the War of the Roses, which will screw you over unless you get lucky and there’s a series of deaths and births that prevents it.

Bastille seems like one of the better new player starts despite my usual preference for an island where I can establish dominance before trying to play in the big leagues.

I started System Shock 2 (free last week on Good Old Games). The intro sequence had telephone booths on the street, which I thought was quaint in the futuristic world.

I always laugh when I see them in Fallout.

Fallout is at least an alternate history according to newer installments.

Yeah, but don’t go using logic. :stuck_out_tongue:

The first Deus Ex (Which is a great game you should play if you can stand the late 90s graphics) has some telephone booths in it, but they’re potentially ones that never got ripped out due to the general cyberpunk “urban decay” vibe of the game.

Played some Europa Universalis IV this morning. I’m actually starting to get the hang of it, and even have a Scotland game going despite the difficulties of, well, being Scotland. (Sorry to any readers who reside in or in fact are Scotland.)

I’ve had to save-scum a bit as England keeps trying to invade despite my efforts to make nice. Luckily it’s not what I’d consider a “fixed” occurence: In most cases, if I reload and maybe send a diplomat their way to make’em feel special, they calm down and forget the plan to send 20,000 men charging over my border.

Instead I’m expanding overseas, which is hampered as Scotland doesn’t get national bennies to increase colonization range. I may have to settle in Africa to gain some experience and range to leap-frog to the New World. But that’s an issue for another day.

On behalf of Scotland, I say … um… sorry? :stuck_out_tongue: hahaha

RE: phone boxes in the future - what about phone boxes now? There are five known kiosks in Blyth, which has a population of about 38,000. Most of the rest of them have been stripped out and now serve as shells for BT HotSpots for wifi. Most of those are slowly being replaced by plain 10’ poles with little blob things at the top which I assume house the antenna. Ten years ago though, the mobile revolution was only halfway through. Ten years before that and a monthly contract was about £60 ($85) and for that you got an hour’s call-time per week and 100 SMS’s if your phone supported them. So for things like System Shock, they simply didn’t know that the phonebox would be almost entirely obsolete in 20 years - and you know what, that’s not quaint, it’s adorable hehe.

I’m working on it. Scotland may colonize Maryland and Virginia soon. Yay personal goals.

Hey, that’s further than we usually get, normally it’s all England stealing the pride and then saying it was a British effort. Kinda like Andy Murray in tennis… if he wins, he’s a British hero; if he loses he’s Scottish.

Our Pathfinder Beginner Box (from the February Humble Bundle deal) finally showed up.

My decade-long plan to breed my own gaming group is finally coming to fruition.

I got my daughter into it at GenCon when she was 6. Just as a pointer, a Druid is a great choice for certain types of kids, once that may not want to hack and slash, but could get into summoning a badger who will.

I also love the exposure to Sandpoint and the fact that they put a dragon in the intro campaign.

If you are into published material skip Rise of the Runelords, it’s a bit adult for kids. Centering on a fantasy 7 deadly sins sort of cult, with lust and rage taking center stage for a main course of greed. The nice things about the society play campaigns is that they are divided up into 4 hour sessions, which also divide well into 2 kid 4 hour sessions which cover 2 hours of adult play.

And the Goblins scenarios are fun if you don’t mind your kids singing about gutting dogs and horses. YMMV