What book are you reading right now?

‘What colour is your parachute? - 2016 edition’

CJ Chivers’ The Fighters. I’m having to take it in bites.

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

That keeps circling around my “I should read this” list, but never makes it to the top. I guess I’m waiting for the series to be finished.

I’m re-reading On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers. Loosely inspired the Pirates of the Caribbean movie and the Monkey Island games apparently. It’s a really good story based around pirates in a fantastic version of our world.

Tim Powers is still around and writing? I remember reading a couple of his books back in the 80’s. I wasn’t too impressed. Has he improved?

He’s only 66 apparently and still writing. On Stranger Tides isn’t “new” (it’s from 1987!) but is apparently considered one of his better ones. I heard reviews of a few of his books (Others recommended to me are Declare (Spies and magic) and Last Call (Las Vegas and magic) but I haven’t read them yet.

I held off for a while as he was noted as doing a lot of research. It shows, I think. That may turn some people off, and is why I hesitated to try his works before my initial read of OST. This one is pretty good, but I can’t speak to his other works.

The Lord of the Rings.

Nobody beats up their protagonists quite like Tim.

The Anubis Gates won a lot of awards, but I love Drawing of the Dark better.

My condolences. :wink:

Sorry, I tried reading it years ago and just couldn’t get through it.

I tend to skip the boring parts…

About a month ago a friend of mine recommended the ‘Monster Hunter’ series by Larry Correia. I’m almost through the first book but Gratch is starting book 3. It’s not Shakespeare, but it’s entertaining.

For me, it was The Simarillion. I think I tried reading it three times and never made it through.

One book I’ve been re-reading off and on is A Garden of Cucumbers by Poyntz Tyler, which was re-issued with the title of Fitzwilly after the Dick Van Dyke movie of the same name came out. The gist of the book and the movie is a lawyer or some sort of financial manager is so inept that a woman’s inheritance is wiped out. When the butler that works for her finds out that this guy didn’t even care what he’d done, the butler decides that he will do whatever it takes to make sure she never finds out she’s broke. Shoplifting, charity rackets and robbing major department stores are some of the ways he accomplishes this.

The Silmarillion is a tough read. It’s almost not meant to be read straight-through in the classical sense.

Just started reading Flapper by Joshua Zeitz. The tagline reads “[a] madcap story of sex, style, celebrity, and the women who made America modern”. It’s an era that has always interested me, and the book looked interesting.

My wife might enjoy that one. I’ll have to remember it for Christmas. Also heard about a non-fiction book about the woman who worked for Disney that sounds like something she’d enjoy.

The Silmarillion reads like the driest of history texts. I waded my way through it, but it was tough going. I’ve never been a fan of history books, and this was one of the most boring ones I’ve every read, especially for a fictional world.

I’ve compared it to the Bible in the past.

On Amazon.com

Well, yes, adding it to a hidden wishlist may be a better way to remember it.

Finally to book 5 of Game of Thrones. Also reading The Forbidden Door by Dean Koontz. Third in the Jane Hawk trilogy, it involves nanotechnology and mind control.