What book are you reading right now?

Just re-opened the start of the Xanth series.

A little disappointing… maybe because I’ve read it too many times so I’m not getting the wonder of it… I seem to be doing more evaluating his style, choice of phrasing, and stuff.

He’s gotten a little creepy for me.

I’ve got like three tech books I should be reading, along with a kind of bland novel from the D&D fiction line I’m reading due to fascination with how the company handled version changes.

Neal Stephenson: SevenEves

I’m interested in your take on this when you’re done. I won’t spoil anything but I’d like to hear someone else’s review.

I’m into ‘Part 2’ and there are a couple of things that are bothering me. I will preface this by stating I am not an astrophysicist, so could be wildly wrong…

1. The bolides spend 2 years quietly orbiting the Earth and then, suddenly decide to start landing? (OK, there was the ‘8-ball’ to disturb them, but still, it seemed very sudden.)

2. As soon as BHJ or JHB or whatever her initials are, suddenly arrives without warning, it was like a huge ‘Major Plot Advance Here’ sign. With extra neon. (And I don’t often pick up on plot hooks that easily…)

3. It’s not as tediously over-blown and verbose as some of his earlier work. Maybe his editor’s finally took a chainsaw to the manuscript.

OK, SevenEves is finished.

I think it could have safely ended at the conclusion of the ‘Council of Seven’, and what followed after made an interesting sequel. The whole ‘Zero+5000’ bit seemed very rushed and unfinished to me.

I had mixed feelings about the book. Parts were good and started to come together and then all of a sudden it changed gears. And I agree that the 2nd part could’ve easily become a sequel. Some of the world building and events leading up to it was cool. But I never got invested in the characters really.

I finished the most recently available Throne of Glass book (#5), thinking it was the last one. IT IS NOT. :sob: I have to wait for the next one to come out! It ended on an epic cliffhanger, and it had BETTER have a next book! ANGST

At the same time that fifth book became available at the library, I FINALLY got my held copy of her second book in her other series, “A Court of Mist and Fury”, and I’m not really making much headway. You’d think I’d be devouring it, seeing as I waited for over a month for it… But I’m not. I need to. I always forget how much I love a good book until I’m buried in the middle of the story, unable to put it down. :slight_smile:

After that, I’m going to read “Into the Fire” by a local Christian author, Kim Vandel. I met her at a writing group last night and bought a copy. Her next one is coming out very soon, too. I love the premise: There are super powers, but they are God-given (kinda like the ones given to the prophets in the Bible). It’s YA, so the protagonist is young, but I’m truly looking forward to that spin on a popular genre. :slight_smile: I’ve been trying to find a way to weave Christianity into my urban fantasy/dystopian ideas, and more religion into my fantasy/sci-fi—without sounding preachy or sugar-coating things. So this book is as much research as it is entertainment. :slight_smile:

I’ve been waiting for the next Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) book since 2011. Still no end in sight.

I think we’re pretty much giving up on GRR Martin now. Unless he pumps out the last few books in a hurry and we hear that they’re excellent, we’re not planning on buying any more of them. I’m very disappointed in him as an author.

Last I heard, he is focusing on the show now, which is diverging from the books, and he might not EVER finish the books. So, good riddance, GRR. :frowning2:

I finished Cold Days, the 14th Dresden book, now all I have left is Skin Game and he’s been writing the next book for three years. Rumor is he might be stalling on it to drag out the alimony payments. Apparently any series he had in print before the divorce he splits with his ex-wife. Though he’s writing lots of short stories now, so maybe he’s written himself into a corner.

Considering Dresden is always supposed to be the underdog, there aren’t many things left to fight. Though he could spend an entire book wrapping up all the social storylines.

I am just hoping that Butcher at least finishes his complete 20 book cycle and then the final apocalyptic trilogy as he has previously stated was planned. I’m looking forward to his next short story anthology in the mean time.

Umberto Eco - ‘The Name of the Rose’

I can’t wait to finish this turgid, over-blown, self-important ejaculation of religious masturbation. I wanted to read a good murder mystery, not a diatribe on the infighting between far too many apocalypse cults in 14th century Italy.

The movie is pretty good. I think it’s considered a somewhat lesser-known gem in Sean Connery’s career.

Umberto Eco’s Foucault’s Pendulum has been in my ‘vacation reading’* bag for way too long. It’s got some good bits, but some long expository sequences. I don’t know if it’s because of the translation or not.

• I mostly read on phones/tablets these days, so I keep a few paperbacks to read on the beach or other situations where I don’t want to take my phone.

I picked that move for “the night” with my high school girlfriend. I had no idea it was as intense as it was. I also had no idea that A) there were really hot sex scenes, and B) all the bad things in the movie were related to those scenes.

Though it served it’s purpose about a week later, delayed reaction I guess. It helped that I was a gentleman that original night when dealing with a reversal in expectations that had been set.

I needed something to read on the commute so I fired up The Martian again. I need to either load some other audio books or get caught up on my podcasts.

Just finished today: “Contact” by Carl Sagan
Just started this evening: “Musashi” by Eiji Yoshikawa

Started re-reading The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross. I started it a couple times in the past but never really got past the first chapter or two. It’s interesting as well as having a few good quotes. I especially like this one.

Love the Atrocity Archives. It’s interesting that I’ve struggled with some of Charles Stross’ non-Laundry books, but I think it’s because there’s less humor in the other series.

It’s interesting that he at some point mid-series realized he couldn’t keep it as nominally ageless. Another series of his has gotten weird as it was written with Scotland leaving the UK as a major point, which was voted down, although it could come back. The Laundry series has some recognizably ancient tech references in the early books, then a bit newer, then I believe they drop off. Stross admits he hasn’t worked in IT in years at this point, so it’s hard to convincingly fake it.

it’s kind of a more literate and self-aware Dilbert with more tentacles.