Web Find of the Day

Mike broke the Hubble!

2 Likes

I want. Now.

I have the Logitech wave, which is almost the same, but without the split. It’s pretty comfortable.

2 Likes

Gone anime AF.

1 Like

Sweet, this is going to be relevant again.

1 Like

This just made my motherfucking day.

4 Likes

Lying Flat.
This is eye-opening.

1 Like

Linus Tech Tips posted a video of a completely upgradeable laptop with expansion blocks/ports you can move around to whatever side you need.

Instead of gluing everything down, Framework has the internal components as modular items, with instructions and tips on them for replacement and installation, with color-coded screws so you get the right ones in the right spots (and extras included) and QR codes so you can look up info in the manual. If you want, you can order a DIY kit and save $250 by assembling it yourself.

The purpose of this laptop is you can upgrade as you need to. The LTT video mentioned that they have Intel i5 and i7 CPUs now but will have AMD and RISC processors in the future.

This really reminds me of the very first computer I ever bought. I know I had a Timex-Sinclair 1000. I thought I had the version you put together yourself with a soldering iron, which points at the ZX-81 but that was a UK-only product?. Maybe I had both. Whichever it is, I’m pretty sure I still have it/them, buried somewhere in my stockpile of computers, along with the ribbon cable that would let you connect the memory expansion without it rocking back and forth as you typed and intermittently losing contact with the PCB.

2 Likes

I read a review of the Framework on Ars. It looks interesting but I’m skeptical.

I do miss the one PoweBook I had that had bays. It was one of the last that had them and had two big bays on either side under the front of the laptop: one was a bit bigger and could hold an optical drive, the other could hold a battery.

I think I had a whopping third device. A secondary battery.

The oft-heard complaint about many modern laptops is that you’re signing up for a trip to Dongletown. Depending on your needs you’re looking at USB C to A conversions, Ethernet, sound, serial (for those of us that need it sti), etc.

This solves this to a point… by making the dongles part of the design. That’s certainly better, but from what I remember there’s not a ton of variety in the modules as of yet. The fun part is if they caught on and 3rd parties support the standard.

(My ancient, long-since-stolen PowerBook had some oddballs available like bays to add FireWire connectivity, bays that could contain a converter to run off automobile 12v feed, etc.)

Right now in feel like it’s mostly shifting the problem from dongles to ‘did I bring the right modules?’ and there’s only a few available of note. I think the modules use USB-C for connectivity so that is your limiting factor. And if the Framework v2 uses a different size your investment in modules is gone.

I’ve tried to brainstorm if anyone but nut cases would go for a modern laptop that uses some sort of DIN rail style attachments system for peripherals. Or back to big chunky bays so you could add an optical drive if you really need one. Or a module with enough ports and capacity to do everything most people would need.

I think this company deserves credit for trying to shake up the current laptop paradigm though.

Edit: I double checked and they currently offer 7 modules. 2 for storage, 2 for display output, 2 for USB, and one for smaller SD cards. Of note, these are all ‘1 for 1’ devices so the USB C module is basically a very short extension cable in a little square enclosure while the USB A option is the same, but translating to the older interface. I think the product gets more interesting if modules at least offer internal USB hubs and similar.

2 Likes
1 Like

The first ZX80 computers was DIY kits, but Sinclair also offered it pre-assembled.

Today you still get ZX80 and ZX Spectrum DIY kits, but with a few enhancements thrown into the

This is not so much web find of the day, I’ve seen a lot of these videos over some time, but I’ve just watched the final in this series.
Destin over at Smarter Every Day has a series of videos about his trip on a nuclear submarine, and they are fascinating.
I’d recommend a lot of his videos in general, but the nuclear submarine one isn’t something you see every day.

This link includes a playlist of the whole series of 9 videos:

Edit: Click on the “Watch on YouTube” to see the playlist.

1 Like

Croissant Dragons.

Obviously not an actual baked good, but still cute AF.

8 Likes

How to change your blinker fluid.
How on earth did this guy not laugh at all?
I agree with the commenter who liked the line about BMW owners.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

and again

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

this totally made my day!!!

Safety glasses as well… how I laughed at that one… and elbow grease!!!

Look for muffler bearing and piston return springs by the same author!

Currently touring through the southern part of Africa.

S5 started in Johannesburg. Great stuff for those who want to see what South Africa is like “behind the scenes”.

2 Likes

September 8 is the 55th anniversary of the premiere of Star Trek: The Original Series. To celebrate, the StarTrek.com website is live streaming a series of features and panels starting at 5:30pm Pacific/8:30 Eastern and running for just under 3 hours.

Some of the segments are really short, like the five-minute Legacy Moment spotlights. Others are around a half hour.

Details at the Star Trek Day page.

5 Likes

This was a fun read in the vein of “Big machines that no one would think would be practical… weren’t practical”:

Although, it does seem like it’d make sense to park the ginormous Land Yacht near the base where it could at least be used as a windbreak/heat source/extra space instead of putting it a ways way where it got buried.

1 Like