Unpopular Opinions

I think Trent Reznor agrees with you on that, so it’s fine.

2 Likes

I don’t really care for anyone’s version; I just don’t like the song. But I’m not a big fan of music to slit your wrists to.

If I recall right, Trent’s exact words regarding that cover were “That song isn’t mine anymore” because he was so impressed with Cash’s interpretation.

1 Like

People in the service industry should be polite to the public. (Assuming no asshattery is happening.)

Context: we hit an ice cream shop while on Tybee Island. Highest rated shop, not cheap. Staff were short with us, not chatty at all, and generally seemed to feel like we were an intrusion in their space. Their air-conditioned space where all they had to do was serve ice cream all day. :roll_eyes:

Now lest you think I have no place to be speaking from, I grew up in a tourist town. We were dependent on their monies. And I cleaned hotel rooms for a summer job. Interacted with tourists all over my town every day, be it at work or just out and about. But if we didn’t have them, we didn’t have jobs. Yes service jobs suck but don’t make them worse.

2 Likes

This is the only part I take issue with. I absolutely agree (having worked both in retail and as helpdesk) that you should absolutely be polite and (at least pseudo-)respectful, but that doesn’t have to extend to idle chit-chat since it’s not part of the job.

Edit: This might also be a difference in the understanding of the word “chatty”. When I hear “chatty”, I picture the kind of person who will tie up a counter employee for 30 minutes talking about the weather, their kids, their dog, their dog’s latest grooming experience, the weather again, why they don’t like chocolate, why they do like strawberry, a random memory from 30 years ago…all while the employee’s trapped there going “Please move on so I can serve someone else, I’m not allowed to tell you to shut up and move along”

1 Like

Nah, I was trying to make chitchat while they were scooping up ice cream…you know, stuff like man it’s hot isn’t it, nice weather, etc. I hate long chitchat. Just normal hey we are humans in the same room for a few minutes let me acknowledge that you aren’t just here to serve me chitchat. Bc I don’t treat them as servants either. Humans doing a job that happens to be in service.

You know, if you really pay for the electricity you consume, you will not have issues with bad power or problematic electric voltages etc.

And if you really want to get a enterprise (eskom and SAA) to get out of debt, start by cuttio g out deadwood and kick the troublesome unions to the kerb. And also get rid of cronyism, wasteful contracts and cut capital expenditure really thin.

At this stage we really need the electricity supply to be stable and not get any more expensive.

But ya, this is why I’ve modified this : (because at this stage it seems that it is all they can do : beg for handouts instead of fixin’ stuff).

Ramaphosa had a country
E-I-E-I-O
And on his country he had SAA
E-I-E-I-O
With a beg beg here
And a beg beg there
Here a beg, there a beg
Everywhere a beg beg
Ramaphosa had a country
E-I-E-I-O

Ramaphosa had a country
E-I-E-I-O
And on his country he had Eskom
E-I-E-I-O
With a beg beg here
And a beg beg there
Here a beg, there a beg
Everywhere a beg beg
Ramaphosa had a country
E-I-E-I-O

Ramaphosa had a country
E-I-E-I-O
And on his country he had the NPA
E-I-E-I-O
With a beg beg here
And a beg beg there
Here a beg, there a beg
Everywhere a beg beg
Ramaphosa had a country
E-I-E-I-O

Ramaphosa had a country
E-I-E-I-O
And on his country he had the SABC
E-I-E-I-O
With a beg beg here
And a beg beg there
Here a beg, there a beg
Everywhere a beg beg
Ramaphosa had a country
E-I-E-I-O

TL;DR: getting pissed off with Dear Leaders sitting high up and only caring for themselves.

1 Like

If you’re going to commit suicide, don’t do it in a public way that is going to scar someone for life and inconvenience dozens of other people.

We’re up to 5 deaths by train in the last 3 weeks, 2 of which were suicides. Well, the investigation is still ongoing for the one from yesterday, but the initial report says suicide.

3 Likes

I used to have a friend (we long ago drifted apart) who was a supervisor in what was then British Rail. He told me a few times just how wide an impact these things had.

Mind you, he also regaled me with tales of how few “suicide by train” attempts worked, turns out jumping into the path of a train is trickier than you’d think :man_shrugging:

I don’t think there is a surefire suicide method. One of the suicides was laying on the tracks. That seems like a pretty certain way to get hit. Whether or not it’s fatal? Probably, but not 100%.

I turned in my roommate when he took pills.

Turns out even a shitfaced 22 year old me can figure out something is wrong when my roommate put on his dress blues and mumbled something about life being worthless when he left the room at 3 am. Took me a bit, but I got there.

Turns out the Motrin he took helped accelerate his kidney function and clear out the other pills he took fast enough to keep him alive long enough to ride the charcoal train.

7 Likes

I have no desire to ever see Les Miz. It’s in our season package and I’m happy to sell them basically at cost to someone who wants to see it. No desire, ever. I’ll go if they don’t sell, but won’t be sad if they do. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Our wonderful Prez can do well to start making plans to sell off State-owned Enterprises to the highest bidder, and, at the same time, tell the union bosses to fek off as the country need rescuing, not the union members.

I don’t blame you. I probably wouldn’t go if the tickets don’t sell, either. I saw the movie when someone rented it, but didn’t say what it was until it was in the player. I sat through it, but it never got un-horrible.

I’m starting to think I need to redevelop a social life.

1 Like

I think you may need to rethink that.

I hate Queen.

:frowning:

(I mean, it’s your personal choice and all… but…)

3 Likes

That’s likely the most shocking thing I’ve seen here.

2 Likes

The band or their music?