Things you wish you could say (at work)

Why is that even a thing?

Is this as-in sharing USB devices over the network by some likely janky drivers? Sounds like a solution that might work for some simple use-cases like two people who need to work closely, but I bet cheap companies would try to use it in lieu of networked printers, scanners, etc. Not that printer sharing isn’t built in…

Let’s not even think of trying to make it work with weird encryption dongles and the like.

Don’t know about Ook’s issue but I have had to do this. Networked USB drive strictly for attaching an encryption key to a server so the software could run. It didn’t need to be virtualized and would’ve saved the company $5k buying this little USB hub thing that barely worked.

This. Some arb piece-a-software requires an USB dongle (security key). Application runs on a VM.

Tole them we can look at

• procuring a 2nd hand win7 workstation and use that to host the USB key (cheaper option)

• or else look at a special “hub” with which you can share the USB doohickies (bit more expensive, but better)

They preferred to keep said setup as is (on node1)

Next iteration of clusters I’ll build will only be with the free hyper-v edition (no GUI) :smiling_imp:

Prefer to have no other software/drivers/extras running on a hypervisor.

I’ve got a USB device sharing gadget at home on my ‘e-waste’ pile if you want it. Shipping would be several times it’s value, though.

Dongles were a big deal when Apple went USB-only back in the late 90s, too. Some Quark versions relied on them for copy protection and such, and they were serial-only at the time. I did end up with an older machine with a bunch of them hooked together as the licensing server.

Most of the software we use at work relies on dongles for licensing. It can be a hassle, but our lab is on a dead-net (no internet access - lab machines have no connection to the outside world) so using the online authentication option that some software offers is not an option. And the biggest pains in the ass are the ones that make you save a machine file, upload it to the author’s authentication server, download a license file, upload that to the workstation, use the software, then don’t forget to save a license release file from the workstation and upload it to the authentication server, or the next time someone goes to use the software, it is already “checked out”… if the first workstation is not known, you’re screwed - either ask nicely to have the license reactivated (promising that the PC that was using it is gone), or buy another license.

We do one case per drive, so we deploy an OS to a new drive for each new case. If the case goes on-hold, the hard drive goes in the locker. If the case gets closed, the drive gets wiped. Sooo, if someone forgets to release the license, it is either a hassle to try to find the case drive that was using the license previously, or we’re SOL if the drive has been wiped.

How many ports? The devices that share dongles over the network that I’ve seen are a bit expensive.

It’s some sort of generic-ish one that shares one or 2 devices to a couple hosts over, I think, USB.

It’s consumer-grade junk my parents used for a printer for a couple years. Then went through a shared printer, separate printers, etc. It was a joke, as it’s a piece of junk from the wild era of early USB. :slight_smile:

Oh, gotcha. We used to have a couple of those floating around here, too. And I remember a D-Link Parallel to WiFi (like 802.11b) adapter that would never work for more than 20 minutes before having to be reconfigured. Man, I hated that thing.

DeLinked more likely :smile:

If the GPOs in your test OU are causing things to break for users, maybe you should let us move it back to the regular OU until you figure out the issue. Just saying.

Nah, you can’t do that. It’s not their GPO that’s borked. It’s something in production.

Sure. Let’s do it the stupidest way possible because that’s easier for you.

No, I won’t rename a server XXX-TEST to XXX-PROD just because you don’t want to be bothered going through the formal build process documentation. Yes, you’re paying for a server. You’re paying for that named server. I will not get into validating that decision because it final and backed up with reams of documentation and rules.

Idiot.

They wish it was. But it’s funny how when a machine gets moved out of the test OU it quits having problems.

Dear $Coworker(s)

We warned you twice that we would be emptying the Temp folder (it is there to facilitate transfer of large files that cannot be sent via email).

This morning I moved everything out of the temp folder, and now you act all concerned because your work is lost. Get a life, grow up, and start USING your department’s designated work folders that get backed up. This is the SECOND time this thing happened, and you did not learn from the first time?

The temp folder DOES NOT GET backed up.

(my best BOFH moment… done with approval from MANCO etc) devilish gin

This will always confound me.

User: Where shall I ever put this lovely bag of money? I don’t want to lose it… Oh! I know! In the trash can!

The answer is the same as the last three times you asked.

Cliff’s Notes version of a post in another thread:

When you say “it will be the exact format as the sample I gave you” (referring to an input file for a script I’m writing), that does not mean you can change from XLSX to CSV, then changing the name of one column, then adding a half-dozen blank columns, on consecutive iterations of said file.

No.
Just no.

Are you sure this has been tested thoroughly? Because last time we did this it was a complete clusterfuck.

TSB, is that you?

—> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/03/tsbs_middleware_nightmare_execs_grilled_by_mps/