Things you wish you could say (at work)

When you coordinate a move would it be too much trouble to make sure the network ports at the new desks are active?

Hah.

When my work moved location, the first time the PM responsible for that neglected to ensure internet connectivity. We had to make do with a wireless ISP until we got our fixed lines.

Second time, same issue, but a different PM, despite my pleading to make sure that we have Internet connectivity before relocating the office. Procurement and other staff requiring internet access have to make use of expensive 3G connectivity. Derp. Was a month or so before we had a fixed line.

Third time? Will have to wait and see.

This is US-centric, but generally moving/reprovisioning circuits is a 60+ day lead time… maybe more. You can do it faster, but expect to pay substantial rush fees.

Also, don’t be surprised if even an order marked “Process on December 1st” gets done early because someone figured they’d clean out their queue or something, leaving you with a circuit to New, Empty Office, but none to Old, Occupied Office. That’s always fun.

I think I found the root of your problem: The page you reported as “not working” is a static error page for some reason. It’s working, it’s just that ‘working’ in this case means displaying an error.

error 4xx - The Nannydemons for this page is on tea break. Please come back later.

Having WSUS do automatic approvals are not a good thing.

Firstly, some mission-critical (Bossly Unit) PC’s can reboot spontaneously, causing heartburn and ulcers for the sysadmin concerned.

In my case the installer set WSUS for auto-approval on a toll road corridor. Yup.

So, when the vehicle classifier reboots after a batch of windows upgrades/updates, the exit boom tend to come down, especially when there’s a car present.

Gah. Wake up people, this is why I was beating the drum of let the operator appoint a designated person to apply the updates… now it’ll be taken more seriously now, yes?

Then there was the case of a delta update appearing on WSUS for Server2016 and Win10, which bricks them. This was a while ago. Dodged a bullet with that one.

So this is why I dislike automatic updates. Because of issues.

I thought it was bad enough when upgrades pop up and get insistent when I’m working evening hours for a project.

The worse ones are certain Android apps with a minuscule X button :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Speaking of which, I downloaded an app from Checkers (one of our nationwide shops) and the first thing it asked for was permission to draw over apps. It got uninstalled quickly after being shown the window, the door , my finger and my foot (not neccesarily in that order).

It would be nice if I didn’t have to cross my fingers and pray to the SCCM gods every time I try to image a machine.

GAH.

Who uses ein kaputtes server as a production server?

/facepalm

The Circle of Life has a few odd detours in tech.

1. Buy fancy top-of-the-line production server.
  2. Use until it’s all used up.
  3. Decommission fancy server.
  4. Fancy Server finds second life under someone’s desk or in a spare cube for “just messing around, really!”
  5. Fancy but Old Server gains semi-legit status when someone does something useful with it, like hosting a department’s wiki, FPS server, or some new tech.
  6. Fancy but Old Server becomes interlocked into business-critical applications and becomes impossible to remove from production without a massive effort, despite only having one working power supply, a bad NIC, and no one even knows where they keys are to open the drive bays should someone dare to try replacing a hard drive when one inevitably fails.

At least, that’s how it usually seemed to work at $OldJob.

Oh, lord. It gets worse. Unless I’m completely wrong or there’s an explanation no one bothered to tell us about, how is it that one person can spot a problem with such a widespread impact that an entire engineering division missed?

Because you’re paying attention and they aren’t. Next question.

Fun and games.

Determined said kaputtes server’s motherboard is wonky. Does not even POST.

Transplanted RAID over to new mobo, it boots, but we kjeep going round in circles as we cannot access the BIOS screen to boot from USB media.

Finally found another server with similar spec and mobo as the first - but same $story - it does not want to boot with the RAID controller…

Fun and games.

Previous job used email hosting at $ENTITY. I had a shufty at that, and discovered that $oldjob was way over quota with their email storage.

Informed $CEO and other relevant parties of the fact, but it just went whooossshhh.

Update : created a Frankenserver.

Snaffled new HDD earmarked for another project, installed Linux Mint, checked that it is bootable and all that.

Transplanted RAID card and HDD cages over to “new” server"

Booted Linux Mint & it is able to access the files and folders on said RAID.

There are 9 hard drives. Two RAID cages, first cage have 6 HDD’s, second one 3. Intel RAID controller and RAID hardware.

Person who set the RAID up, configured all 9 HDD’s as one beeg-assed 7.9Tb virtual HDD.

We can’t access the RAID config utility at this stage, but as long as we’re able to copy files and folders back onto an USB HDD, we’re all good for now.

I have learnt one lesson from this, which I want to burn into lusers heads - do not assume IT will know what you want. If you want HDD space on the server(s), for backups, do tell IT why you need it, for how long and so on. And keep on following up, don’t just leave it and hope IT will magically do the conjuring.

Burrrrrrrps.

And do let IT do the server configuration for you. Please.

Holy crap.

Seems legit.

Repeat after me: Redundancy is important.

But but… it’s a RAID!!