Things you wish you could say (at work)

This is why we migrate things properly instead of just mashing domains together and praying. This has created way too much extra work on my part and it’s not the first time.

1 Like

Ugh i know where i work doesn’t pay the best, but its bad when and employee quits because of it, then they contract the same employee to come back for even more money.

But is it enough more to compensate for having to pay all the taxes, and the time consuming headache of keeping track of all that? (Hopefully that is some consolation for you. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

:+1:

Minimum word count must be met to post

OK, you totally disrupted my morning by calling me to a meeting at another office then canceling said meeting. I am not amused.

And then scheduling a new meeting to cover what was supposed to be in the first meeting. But different.

It’s obvious you don’t like me (which is fine) and that you think I suck at my job (which is untrue). But now you’re trying to get me fired. Kindly fuck off.

3 Likes

If you want tonerer for the printerer I need two things.

1. What color tonerer?
  2. Which bloody printerer?
2 Likes

Good solid questions, yes.

$Wife had a similar issue this morning.

We had done an upgrade at her work last weekend and there were a couple minor issues. She took care of the problems this morning but one tricky one was a printer not printing. Support asked if it had ink… Staff confirmed it had ink and it partially printed.

She checked it and, in fact, the ‘replace ink’ light was on. Guess how the problem was solved?

I said “welcome to IT!” when she told me the story.

PLEASE tell me that this isn’t the final phase of construction on this part. It can be bad enough to have an onramp coming from an overpass where you can’t see any vehicles descending until they’re almost at the merge point. It can be bad enough to have a popular exit that isn’t easily visible and people suddenly dart over to it.

But to make the onramp join the highway and about .08 of a mile later is the start of that exit, ON THE INSIDE OF A CURVE? Are you nuts? If you’re trying to create an accident magnet, you succeeded.

I measured it with the trip meter on my car. From the point where the onramp meets the highway to the start of the exit is less than a tenth of a mile. You’re forcing people to evaluate the traffic that suddenly becomes visible and may either merge onto the highway or stay in their lane to take the exit, plus the traffic on the highway that wants to take that exit, all in about seven seconds.

Ah, that’s proper beancounter engineering, that.

You updated the VPN and now DNS doesn’t work properly for 30-40% of users when they connect to said VPN. But somehow when they call the help desk to report their shared drives are not mapping, those tickets get escalated to me, when there’s fuck all I can do about it except manually edit the host file to include those servers. This is horseshit. Fix your bloody DNS.

3 Likes

Really thought that was aimed at me TBH…

1 Like

(For the record, since I don’t think I work for the same company as @Force10, but I’m “DNS Guy” among my other hats, and we have had some weird issues. Mostly due to misconfigured remote DNS servers we don’t like anyway.)

To my knowledge we don’t have an office in Maryland.

Without naming names, my former employer probably had or desired a business relationship with your current employer (related industries). My current employer would probably have someone on-site tomorrow AM if you needed contract-to-perm people (recruiting-placement company). I’ve found out they’re a lot more responsive to companies needing workers than workers needing jobs, sadly.

But, yes, I don’t think we’re coworkers and I’m too oblivious to notice it.

Back on topic: DNS is this critically important service and I feel like no one 100% really understands how it works beyond a basic level.

Do you work for the Jolly Fats Wehawkin Employment Agency?

Nope. Just a large recruiting company. It’s interesting seeing how that sausage is made, as it were. Not my dream job, but I’m not sure what that is any more.

I hope I can say that I’ve finally slain the network demons at the Bee Farm I’m working at now by replacing the access point, installing an actual point to point range extender, and slapping some UPS power conditioners and surge protectors on the important stuff.

4 Likes