[The Register] If you haven't already killed Lotus Notes, IBM just gave you the perfect reason to do it now, fast

Gives new meaning to Bloated Goats…

How many of you are actually still running Lotus Notes at this stage?

TIL Lotus Notes is still a thing.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, what with all the companies that built entire workflow applications out of it. It’s worse than Sharepoint, and Sharepoint is ridiculously easy to turn into a hot mess.

Heh, we’ve decided to go to LogicalDoc instead of SharePoint.

Now if only we all can switch over to OpenOffice/LibreOffice and Linux instead of Windows and Office… (will save a pretty nifty bunch of $$$ too).

May have to start early as Office 2019 won’t run on anything older than Win10…

FWIW I think it is prudent that you use different platforms (linux, windows etc) instead of just 100% windows…

The company I work for uses it. I really dislike any time I have to run it for the times I can’t do a particular thing through the mail app on my phone. One of the first things I have to do is shut down the “DirCat first name” and “DirCat last name” sync tasks so it doesn’t take an extra ten minutes to get to my email. It’s less annoying to copy and paste addresses into the To field than to have Notes trying to auto-match names on Every. Single. Character. I. Type, or the “let me think about what names might match this in the entire company directory and then give you some suggestions five seconds later, and in the meantime, you can’t type anything else.”

I’m surprised to learn that Lotus Notes is still a thing. I’ve always worked in mostly Microsoft shops, so we’ve always made use of Office and SharePoint/TFS/Exchange, etc

Well great, now I have the Windows 1 advert with Steve Ballmer in my head. Funny how just one mention of Lotus brings back the full horror of the old-world Windows family…

We used Notes at the George job. Gotta give props to a product that’s so terrible that it made me excited to switch to Exchange/Outlook.