The NFL Thread

No, more of an “F Spanos” thing.

Sadly, Eli remains winless against the team that drafted him. So he has yet to feel that satisfaction.

Shamelessly stolen from a reddit thread:

Johnny Manziel was the quarterback of the Browns two Browns wins ago

That is the true mark of futility.

Another one inspired by the same reddit thread; this one is my own research.

Since Doug Flutie’s last start for the Chicago Bears (1987), the Cleveland Browns have had 39 starting QBs. Keep in mind that 3 of those 3 years, the team didn’t really exist, and Bernie Kosar started three complete seasons and a total of 93 games from '87-'93.

It has taken the New York Giants 80 years to rack up 39 different starting QBs.

Sure sign of a team losing it’s way is a panicked search for the next magic bullet.

As if pulling the next Brady or Manning would help a team that can’t block, catch or run.

Bills, Browns, Fish, Jets, in order to make fans happy they have to make drastic changes in coaching staff, and prime time players. To make it look like they are fixing the ship and righting the course they spin the helm and end up going in circles down the toilet.

The Colts are dangerously close to this. We may be hanging on to a coach who can’t pull it off, but I’m afraid if they clear the coaching staff we’ll get a revolving door of players and coaches.

That Colts game was painful to watch except for the fact that I have the Jacksonville D in fantasy.

I saw this tweet:

So I went to /r/nygiants and found this:

“Coach McAdoo told me I could continue to start while Geno and Davis are given an opportunity to play,” Manning said. “My feeling is that if you are going to play the other guys, play them. Starting just to keep the streak going and knowing you won’t finish the game and have a chance to win it is pointless to me, and it tarnishes the streak. Like I always have, I will be ready to play if and when I am needed. I will help Geno and Davis prepare to play as well as they possibly can.”

And then I said this:

Words cannot express how I feel right now.

Well, there are words. But I’m not allowed to use them here.

That sucks. To just fade away like that. Still not a “real top tier quarterback” despite the fact that he is. It would be different if this change happened during the off season, veteran QB steps aside to mentor young talent type of thing, but this is kind of icky.

I’d say he’s a real class act, like his brother but less cocky.

This story isn’t going to die for a while.

There was huge backlash on Instawitter last week when the news broke and it’s still going on. Retired Giants going all the way back to the 80s expressed their anger over this.

And now it’s coming out that Tim Mara (owner) wanted McAdoo (dumbass coach) to do things differently, but either McAdoo miscommunicated what he was going to do, or took Mara’s instructions differently.

Internal communications now telling everyone “don’t talk about this thing in public.” Rumors of two dozen Big Blue alumni showing up on the sidelines at the next home game all wearing Manning jerseys.

Only solution at this point: trade Eli to Jacksonville, clear out the entire FO and coaching staff, and rebuild everything. No more promotions from within, no more hanging onto staff out of misplaced loyalty. It really feels like ever since Ann Mara passed away, the organization has fallen apart.

I’m just pissed that we won’t get the Eli Farewell Tour.

Why Jacksonville? Because of Tom Coughlin?

Because of TC and the fact that Jacksonville is a QB away from being a serious contender.

Since protesting the national anthem has become more wide-spread in NFL games, viewership of the games has been decreasing. This has had the side effect of Papa John’s Pizza losing money since they were an official NFL sponsor. I don’t know if they’re officially cancelling it, but they’re no longer going to mention that in any advertising. As of today, founder John Schatter is no longer CEO of the company, but he’s still chairman of the board and largest shareholder.

This is awesome

I’m sure declining viewership has nothing to do with the NFL’s cavalier stance on player safety or the many recent high profile arrests of players for domestic violence and DUI. And Papa John’s business is down because their pizza sucks and their now former CEO is a dickhead. I’m sick of all the blame going to the players for this. It just proves exactly why they’re protesting.

It’s falling because the players are acting more like spoiled children, protest or not, than athletes.

It’s also the vaunted “parity” taking affect (effect?), with the teams being so close a flaw in one team can ruin a whole season and a slight advantage with another team can run the table.

The players are the ones people are not paying to see, the owners have paid lip service to safety for decades, most of the football fans I know aren’t watching because they just don’t care anymore for one reason or another. They don’t even know exactly why they are protesting, and most have only done this as a form of protest, as opposed to the dozens of players that have actually done something useful.

They’re now over $170K since Sunday night.

I am not ashamed to say I’m hopping on the Bills Bandwagon. Yeah, I know what I said a few weeks ago about Eli and Jacksonville, but Buffalo needs a damn playoff win.

That Bills/Jags game was one of the ugliest playoff games I think I’ve ever seen. And I don’t mean dirty play - it was two teams whose offenses were dragged there by their defenses.

The three QBs combined for 47.6% completion percentage, 235 yards, and 1 TD. Looking at the outcome, it’s kind of surprising that there were only 2 INTs in the game.

But hey, at least we got this out of it.

What the hell? Who thought that was newsworthy?