Status check

Looks like Steve has better priorities than other people do.

RR, I’ve had good luck with TXDOT’s DriveTexas site to keep track of water-related road closures. It’s near-realtime and much more readable than Transtar.

Yeah, a lot of folks on social media (Facebook and Nextdoor) were recommending that and spacecityweather.

I didn’t get out much during the storm, but I’m back at work today! Once Spring Creek started going down, my routes to the office became passable. There was still water on edge of the road on the feeder at Rayford / Sawdust exit this morning, but it was minimal.

So, after Katrina, and I’m sure before and during, several people pointed out that instead of paying to rebuild a flawed city it might be better to just give the money straight to the people. There are still fundamental issues with New Orleans and it will always be flood prone, so why pay to put the straw house up again so another wolf, which is coming, can blow it over.

Of course, this wasn’t much listened to, and instead of everyone getting $220k checks they gave the area 120 billion. Now, since like a third of the displaced people, or maybe more too lazy to look up right now, never moved back, exactly who did that money actually help? Why is “The City” more important than the people in it. Why rebuild the city for the sake of itself rather than help the actual people.

I keep reading how Huston is a flood nightmare, with clay soil and flat land. And while I don’t put out there that it should be razed or anything, like sections of New Orleans should have been. But shouldn’t buy outs of particularly vulnerable neighborhoods be done, and wouldn’t it be easier and simpler to pay the people at least a percentage directly instead of easily wasted, bribed, and lost governments.

Isn’t that what we eventually did along the Mississippi when it was flooding all the time? Didn’t force people so much as offered them enough money and other incentives, like no more flood insurance to move.

As I understand it, for some of the houses that got flooded in 2015 and 2016, FEMA or whoever required the houses to be elevated as a condition of receiving a payout, mostly in the Meyerland / Brays Bayou area. Of course, garages and driveways were no elevated, so are still losses. I heard suspicions that some of the raised houses took water last week, because the water got so much higher than the previous recent floods, but that is not something I have seen confirmed.

The kids are still at our house, because several of the routes to their apartment will continue to be flooded while the Addicks and Barker reservoirs are draining.

On a sort-of-related note, we have a couple of employees either in the path of Irma now (cruise ship) or scheduled to be (leaving for Ecuador via Ft. Lauderdale).

And my own postponed vaca was supposed to be a drive up to Glacier National Park… with a wife who has asthma… into the smoke from fires running wild across Montana and that area.

Maybe I’ll just stay home with my head under a blanket.

Reading about HEB staying open. Between them and Waffle House maybe FEMA needs a lesson.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/inside-story-what-took-keep-texas-grocery-chain-running-chip-cutter

Good article, and accurate, however the Kroger and Walmart stores near me had their doors open pretty quickly, too.

@Gnatdbug You okay? You’re awfully close to the evacuation area!

This fire is pretty bad. I may not have a job for a while…

Gnat is okay and on his way to my place.

The fire is getting closer. I don’t think I’m going to have to evacuate, but I’m backing up data and packing a kit just in case. The cat carriers are ready to go as well.

Be safe, @Nabiki

The governor has declared emergency. 35,000 acres burned so far, 0% contained.

Up to 70,000 acres. Still 0% contained.

Still 0% contained. I’m thinking that I may have this week off from work…

If you have to evacuate, get out early. Don’t wait for the last minute, or tell yourself “She’ll be right, the fire will not get here.”

Seriously, GTFO if you have to.

Oh, I’m watching very closely. I’m not about to wait until they’re knocking on my door. As of this morning, though, it’s at 27,000 acres burning and 0% contained. My town looks safe for now, but air quality is so bad that there’s no going outside. 11 confirmed deaths so far, but they haven’t been able to get in to start seriously looking yet.

Edit: It’s down to 27,000 acres.

We had fires like this in San Diego County in 2003 and again in 2007. I remember how bad the air quality was. Don’t go outside unless you have to.

I’m not. I’m going stir crazy, but I’m staying inside. I did go out to get gas. There’s a gas shortage up here, so I wanted to make sure I had a full tank just in case.