Getting miffed at being shafted at work wrt salaries etc, so I’m seriously considering it to start working for myself.
The issue I have at the moment is that I don’t have any funds in order to resign outright, so I will have to start my own work after-hours and over weekends.
In order to prepare myself for this thing, I need to bounce off ideas from you guys, most especially wrt what services I can offer, and what tools/software I will need in order to perform my duties.
For starters I have decided that I will not do network point or network cable installations, but will be able to test network points for faults.
Then the following that I can do :
- Server installation (2k3/2k8 etc)
- Email server installation (Outlook/Linux etc)
- Workstation installation (physical) by plugging it in, setting it up etc
- Software and Windows/Linux installation
- Product key management (for Microsoft and other products that need product keys)
- Firewall installation and management
- ADSL/VDSL/whateverinternet access installation and management
- Shaping internet access
- Troubleshooting (common Windows/Linux issues)
- UPS installation and management
- Advice on procurement of new hardware/software etc
Later on I can add network point installation, printer services and anything else that they want me to do.
So, what do you guys think?
And, of course, I’ll have to create a contract for both parties to sign, no contract, no work… have read too many horror stories on clientsfromhell.net