Speaking of Minecraft

Yup. I snagged mine. Wasn’t too hard to sign up at the new site. I haven’t tried it yet on the Surface though. I shall report back one of these days…

Newest thing of note is that people with Pocket Edition and MC 10 Beta should be able to play multiplayer. Least, that’s what I read on their blog.

EDIT: Makes me wonder which one got its crafting formula’s messed with.

Really? I have both (though neither is installed at the moment with my tablet dying on my a couple months ago). I shall give it a shot tonight if I have time.

From this article: https://mojang.com/2015/07/announcing-minecraft-windows-10-edition-beta/

You’ll recognise some Pocket Edition features in Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta, along with potpourri of cool extras. Here are some highlights:

• Craft, create, and explore online with up to seven friends playing Windows 10 Edition Beta, through local multiplayer or with your Xbox Live friends online.
  • Play online and local multiplayer with other Pocket Edition players thanks to a free update, due to arrive soon after launch.
  • Multiple control schemes! Switch between controller, touch, and keyboard controls with little to no effort!
  • Record and share gameplay highlights with built-in GameDVR.
  • Help shape the future of Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta with our built player feedback mechanisms!
  • Chickens, zombies, pigs, boats, armed skeletons, potatoes, zombies, baby squids, enchantment tables, villagers, naked sheep, iron golems, potions, ghasts, pickaxes, carrots, and all the weird and wonderful goodness you’ve come to expect from Minecraft.

Emphasis mine.

Problem encountered. On Windows 10, it requires you to be logged in with your Microsoft account. I of course do not log into my W10 box with a Microsoft account and use a local account. For the few apps that need it, it allows me to log into the cloud account within that app only. Minecraft wouldn’t let me do that this morning and stopped me dead. I might have not been logged into Xbox which could’ve caused it, but the fact it won’t let you play on a local account means it’s out for now. I’ll try it again when I get home if I remember.

Yeah, this “always online” trend of things lately is actually becoming quite a nuisance. Sometimes you just don’t want to be logged in.

Sometimes my internet is down.

Or all of Time Warner.

Okay I fixed it. It needed you to be logged into your Xbox app for the first run. And you can log into the Xbox app with your cloud account while being a local account. They just don’t advertise it very well. After that, it ran fine not connected. I’m at work with my Surface not connected to anything and it fired up. Minecraft runs and the Xbox app can’t connect. So it looks like you can run it offline. I didn’t try the multiplayer setup last night. Too lazy to get the network details. There is no ‘Search for Minecraft server’ option which would be nice.

My brief play time shows it pretty much works identical to the Android app in terms of control on my Surface. Not horrible either which was surprising.

I just bought the game again for my firstborn so we could much more easily play together. And because he adores it.

Anyone know good linkage and references to non-scary download sites for resource packs, e.g. graphics and craftbukkit plugins and whatnot? For that matter, what are the good server plugins I should be adding for a small (2 of us) desktop-based server?

Most of these things seem to be hosted on MediaFire, which tries to load a Flash something or other whenever I click on the download links and I’m thinking nope nope nope nope nope.

The download links are all hidden if you read where the link is going you can usually find the right ones.

I go off of the Minecraft Forums. Are there mods out there for 1.8 and or 10 yet?

@CaptainCaveman likely knows what all the cool kids use.

Here’s the few that I have:

http://www.planetminecraft.com/

I forgot to add this one:

Kinda moot for a bit. My 7yo Core2Duo desktop has finally died for good, I think.

[mime-type=mp3 action=play source=taps.mp3]

Yay, it’s alive again. Checking these things out now.

I stumbled across this, I don’t know if anyone is interested.

Frankly, I can barely understand what the hell he’s saying.

Not much activity here but since a few people from here played on it, I figured I’d mention - my server’s been pretty dead for a while so I’ll probably look at shutting it down at the end of the month. When I do shut it down, I plan to post the world for download and I’d also like to include a text file with info on it and info on locations/builds with coordinates and descriptions. So everybody please feel free to post details on anything you’d like included in that, especially if you have or found anything clever hidden somewhere.

I’ll probably look at trying to host a modpack or reroll a vanilla world map when I shut this down just to see if there’s any interest in something new.

I kind of miss playing MineCraft, but that’s because I have minimal free time and I recognize it’s perhaps not the best use of the free time I have. :frowning:

Oohh, I have learned so much about Minecraft since my little hut and automatic chicken farm.

Those were good times.

If you start up a new server let me know.