So, last year we had the unfortunate incident of a broken camshaft belt on the Sharan.
Engine is a 20 valve thing, 5 valves per cylinder. 8 inlet valves was OK, 12 valves was futted up ~ 8x exhaust valves and 4x inlet valves got bent.
Pistons was OK as the incident happened at a low engine speed.
So. Got new valves (entire set).
Removing the head took a whole day as there was lots of stuffits to disassemble and remove. Sent head in to engineering.
Due to all the valves getting replaced (valve stem seals also got replaced at the same time) it took a while to process.
When I received the head back, the Corolla decided to do the “crank, no start” issue, which set me back with two weeks waiting for a spare coil.
But anyway, eventually I got started on the head.
I discovered that the bolts in use are stretch bolts, and can only be used once. So, new bolts.
Plus you need a specific head bolt socket. Luckily I got the last one from Highveld Garage Equipment.
First job was to clean everything properly.
A new belt and tensioner with water pump was procured and installed. (It is recommend to do the water pump as well as it also run on the camshaft belt).
Then we started the reassembly of the head. Everything went well with the torque stages.
And after that I had to figure out how to route the water and oil pipes to the turbo, and that got done.
Wherever I go, I checked for any broken pipes or other equipment, and replaced these. After all, it is easier to do so than trying to do it afterwards.
What also slowed me down was that I cleaned some of the ancillaries as I proceed. New gaskets + a dab of Victor Reinz silicone makes everything leak proof and good.
Then it was time to put in oil and water.
Then the battery went flat as I was trying to crank it over. But I could hear that every cylinder was giving good compression.
Put the flattery on a charger for 30 minutes, and tried again. This time the car started immediately.
Yay. Happy chappy. No oil or water leaks was observed.
The only issue is that this guy is leaking a bit.
Making a bit of a noise and it is blowing out where I can’t see it, but I can feel it. Have to take it off, apply a buttload of gun gum (or similar) on the gasket and put it back together. This is the only issue left, but I’m confident I can get it done this Sunday.