RIP Thread

Stephen Hawking passed today. I think I saw a lecture by him on TV many years ago at the point where he could still speak, but you had to listen to him for a while before you could figure out the words he was saying.

A great mind is gone. :cry:

Here’s a BBC article.

New Orleans Saints and Pelicans owner Tom Benson, 90

Holocaust hero Johan van Hulst, 107

He saved hundreds of Jewish children from the Nazis.

New York Mets legend Rusty Staub, 73

South Africa’s Winnie Mandela at 81.

Co-founder of Studio Ghibli, Takahata Isao

Oops. Here’s a link more of you can read.

Not going to post a link as he was kind of a private guy, but a member of my SQL Server community passed away suddenly on Monday. Sounds like it was cardiac. He, his wife and their dogs had just moved cross country for the second time in 3 or 4 years and hadn’t even landed in their new home yet. Nice guy, witty, and incredibly knowledgeable. I only got to meet him once but we’d talked on Twitter.

And then (at least according to my review of twitter from while I was away), our community showed once again how much of a family it is. Someone set up a Go Fund Me to help his wife out and the 5-figure goal was achieved within an hour or two, and 5 days later the account shows triple the goal.

Absolutely devastating. My heart goes out to all the families. I just hope the ones who survived aren’t forgotten, and get whatever help they need. I suspect there’s going to be a whole lot of survivors’ guilt happening there.

Ouch. Condolences.

The locals are trying to get as many people as they can to wear team hockey jerseys to work/school on Thursday in support. Also, a lot of people are taking pictures of resting hockey sticks and posting them on social media to do the same.

I saw the part about the hockey sticks - I have to get one so I can do that - but didn’t know about the hockey jerseys.

R. Lee “Gunny” Ermey, 74

Longer statement from his manager on facebook:

It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey (“The Gunny”) passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us. It is a terrible loss that nobody was prepared for. He has meant so much to so many people. And, it is extremely difficult to truly quantify all of the great things this man has selflessly done for, and on behalf of, our many men and women in uniform. He has also contributed many iconic and indelible characters on film that will live on forever. Gunnery Sergeant Hartman of Full Metal Jacket fame was a hard and principled man. The real R. Lee Ermey was a family man, and a kind and gentle soul. He was generous to everyone around him. And, he especially cared deeply for others in need.

There is a quote made famous in Full Metal Jacket. It’s actually the Riflemen’s Creed. “This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.”

There are many Gunny’s, but this one was OURS. And, we will honor his memory with hope and kindness. Please support your men and women in uniform. That’s what he wanted most of all.

Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed.

Harry Anderson, aka Night Court’s Judge Harry Stone

Yeah, Harry the Hat has run his last con.

I recently started watching Cheers on Netflix and had forgotten that he was there in the very first episodes. I seemed to recall him being around later in the series, not at the beginning.

He was one of those ‘once a season’ recurring characters, wasn’t he?

He was in at least 2 of the first 4 episodes. IMDB says 6 episodes, most in seasons 1-2, then one each in '87 and '93.

I’m guessing that his early appearances led directly into getting cast in Night Court

Barbara Bush, First Lady and First Mother (is that a thing?), 92