RIP Thread

Beep, bloop, blorp, beep, diddle, whistle, beep.*

*RIP Kenny Baker, dammit, he was one of the droids I was looking for… :confounded:

SMAP is disbanding at the end of the year. I guess after 25 years, it’s time to stop being a boy band…

RIP Gene Wilder

He was in far too many amazing roles for me to just focus on Willy Wonka or Young Frankenstein. I suspect the weekend holds a marathon binge in store…

Nooooooo!!! :cry:

Wow, that one is a shock, though it shouldn’t be.

One of my favorite of his character’s quotes:

You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are
people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons.

And the perfect couple is finally reunited.

Only like three named cast members from Blazing Saddles left.

Lyle, Miss Stein, and Howard Johnson. And of course Mel, so far.

Can you imagine if Gene Wilder had been in Spaceballs? I’m not sure what role he’d fit into but whatever it is, he & Mel Brooks would have made it perfect.

What if Gene Wilder died and Justin Beiber was still alive?

Wait, strike that, reverse it.

Don’t forget Harriett Johnson, she’s still around.

[Quietly]
To the honorable William J. LePetomaine, Governor…
[clears her throat]
WE THE WHITE, GODFEARING CITIZENS OF ROCK RIDGE wish to express our extreme displeasure with your choice of sheriff. Please remove him immediately! The fact that you have sent him here just goes to prove that you are the leading asshole in the state!

There is no way Blazing Saddles would ever get made today. Love that movie.

I recently caught the first 20 minutes of Stand By Me (I’ve never seen it, and still haven’t seen it in full) on TV and the same is true for that movie.

Ugh, leeches

I’ve seen it twice all the way through, once long ago, once more recently. It is worth sitting down and watching. You get to see Wil Wheaton before his Wesley Crusher years when he got all douchy.
They were going to look at a dead kid, so it fits in this thread, right?

And River Phoenix has been gone for 23 years.

55 AMC Theaters across the U.S. will be playing Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory and Blazing Saddles on Saturday and Sunday. Times are 5pm for Wonka and 7:30 for Blazing Saddles each day, and tickets are $5 per movie.

Check the page on the AMC website for the list of which theaters are participating.

I’d like to go since I’ve never watched Blazing Saddles all the way through, and the parts I did catch were on cable TV, but I’m on call this weekend and the closest theater is outside the area I could risk driving to and still be around to answer any calls that might come in.

I remember seeing this set back when it was first sold. I didn’t have a Blu-ray player or an HD TV at the time, so I passed. I’m tempted to get it before the only ones left are the $200 cost, but I better pass again because I would be paying at least $110 for just the packaging.

After seeing something about Bob Newhart’s 87th birthday on Facebook just now…

Bob Newhart is 87. Jerry Stiller, 89. Mel Brooks, 90. Dick Van Dyke, 90. Carl Reiner, 94.

That’s a lot of comedic genius that we’re going to have to say goodbye to in the next few years.

“Crazy” Eddie Antar, 68

His prices were insane, but so was his securities fraud.

But seriously…I had forgotten he was still alive.

Actress and transgender activist Alexis Arquette, 47

No details on cause of death yet.

I’m coming over shortly
Because I am a portly
You promised you could fit me
In a fifty dollar suit

Frank Zappa was singing about a different kind of salesman in “Eddie, Are You Kidding?”, but it still fits. (Lyrics)