Remember the chant? Quit, quit, quit, quit!

WAY TO GO! I have not been happier since I officially and FINALLY retired in January to write full time. Of course, I got bored two minutes in which explains the rescue kitten and rescue dog. I’m sure you can tell by my posts that I’m a nurturer. I’ll wait while you finish laughing. Enjoy your down time and recharge your batteries. I hope something fantastic comes from it.

< ---- Envy

Congrat, though… especially since it is what you wanted to do. Enforced unemployment, not so good. Chosen? It’s nice.

It hasn’t sunk in yet. It’s Monday, and I’m up at my usual time. The difference will be felt when I’m drinking my tea when it’s time to leave, and even more when I head out the door with some friends for a day in San Francisco.

3 Likes

Congrats, Nabiki. You made it out the door.

Now go and enjoy your new found freedom!

I am. Oh, I am. :smiley:

Yesterday was a ton of fun, spending all day in San Francisco doing fun stuff in good company. Today I’m buckling down and getting stuff done around the house. The kitchen is cleaner than it’s been in months, my couch covers are in the washer, and I even got my cutting boards oiled.

Now to spend a few hours playing video games. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

After returning to work yesterday after a week of leave, I’m a bit jelly.

I’m having a great time. My house is cleaner than it’s been in months. I’m walking more, since the grocery is less than a mile from home and I have the time. Food is fresher, since I go every couple of days instead of once a week.

I’m going to go slice up some bison roasts in a while and put them in some marinade. Tomorrow I’ll turn them into jerky. :smiley:

2 Likes

Super nice! Although I miss the money we could have saved and the ESOP shares I missed earning, those four years I “quit” were some of the happiest in my life. Enjoy!!!

1 Like

I’m enjoying it very much. I will have to get some sort of income eventually, but I’m enjoying the time off right now too much to worry about it yet. :smiley:

1 Like

Congrats! And enjoy!

1 Like

I actually enjoy life after like 4 years. NO MORE TROUBLESHOOTING!! :smiley: I still have my life, people who need my advice but I’m drunk when I give it!! :smiley:

3 Likes

Waiting for a reply from a possible job vacancy. Gone for the interview and all that.

Reply should have come in today, but I think they’ll let me know on Monday. After that I’ll concentrate on another job in the pipeline.

1 Like

Another job in the pipeline it is then.

Turned out to be a damp squib, they decided not to take any external employees, but rather get an internal employee.

Come to think of it, why didn’t they do the internal thing first, then advertise for externals when they could not get any interns? Mind boggles.

Ah well.

In the US, I’ve seen this quite a bit. The companies are, for one reason or another, required to post the job to the public, even when they can (or plan to) fill the position internally.

I’ve been on the receiving end of that a few times and it sucks.

Ahh, that makes sense, as it is an American company who’ve started up franchises in South Africa. They have to change a lot of American labour policies to South African labour law policies.

Seems some things they cannot change.

And, yes, it do sucks as my company will advertise a post internally, and only then advertise it externally should there be no suckers.

I’m looking at just under 3 weeks of unemployment… Finally out of the old job, which as certainly soul sucking. That was good, if a bit painful. Worked for the same place, effectively, for 17 years.

So I ended up getting a year contract. Some weird hours, but it’s scheduled weird hours instead of random, life-killing weird hours at old job. Pay is slightly more, and there’s apparently an OK chance I’ll get offered full-time if they’re happy with me.

My wife and I had a discussion when job-hunting was upcoming, and have continued it through getting this contract. We may seriously consider out-of-the-(DC Metro)-area options if I’m looking again this time next year. She’d be happy with almost anywhere warmer, and I saw a couple in Orlando, Florida I almost applied for, but I warned her she’d have to see and feel Florida summer before we moved there. That’d be a huge change as we’d be leaving friends & family behind, but maybe it’s time. The DC Metro is an expensive area to live in, there’s snow in the winter and humidity in the summer, and it’s just weird at times.

2 Likes

We’d welcome you California. It’s like Florida but without the humidity and weirdness. :slight_smile:

Fixed that for you.

3 Likes

Dude, you should’ve said. I was actually interviewing the other week for my current gig. I’m leaving but it’s really just because the coming months are going to be weird. Contract adjustments and I just wanted a change. But it’s a solid job with very little headaches. And I know of a few staffing places I can give you their details. If you don’t mind the drive, to Dulles I’ll keep an eye out at the new place I’m starting next week. They are looking to expand the teams.