Random Musings (and associated non sequiturs) v. 3.0

Its thick, it looks like LA out here…

Because certain organizations really do suck and $270 a year is an acceptable price for them to keep the site out of unfriendly hands.

Next question.

So, you agree that this is just one of may domains designed exclusively to extract money from businesses without any benefit.

Not 100%.

There was, and maybe still is, a website called $namesucks after a former place of employment. When I first visited it, it was a place where people could, somewhat anonymously, vent about $name. Then $name bought it out and basically turned it into a site that asked “why so mad?” $name clearly saw value in taking over the domain, else they wouldn’t have bothered.

However, I personally think it made $name look thin-skinned and somewhat vain. (More than they already did.) So while there might have been some value, exactly what type of value can be debated.

I tried to explain to a bunch of middle schoolers why HAL killed the crew of Discovery.

Between my failing memory and their inexperience with the world, it did not go well.

I’ve seen a lot of 2001: A Space Oddessy discussion lately, presumably because if the anniversary and rerelease. It is fascinating that most people remember the HAL sequences, even if that’s generously half the movie.

Anyway, as to HAL’s murderous tendencies, I think there’s two main theories.

First is the idea that HAL has a breakdown of sorts due to conflicting instructions. He makes a mistake, something the HAL9000 series have no history of doing. (This is very opimistic about computer technology…)

The second is that it is a deliberate act, trying to reconcile his conflict and doing so in what is to HAL the most efficient fashion.

Kubrick and Clark supported both theories at different times, I believe.

I believe Clark’s “official” stance on it (that made it into the later books) was that it was indeed the conflicting instructions that caused the AI version of schizophrenia where he decided that “Crew cannot know these instructions > Crew must know these instructions to continue the mission > Kill the crew, resolve the conflict!”

TIL Wombats poop out cubes.

Well thats new.

I’m guessing you saw the “…and now we’ve figured out a reason for it” story I saw a link to yesterday, too?

Titular is an interesting word. It means both a meaningless title, and a meaningful title.

TIL what TIL stands for.

Watched the sinking of the Bismarck yesterday.

So now we have the Britishers attacking the Bismarck (which was a modern warship of its times) with outdated biplanes, getting past the Bismarck’s defences in order to drop a torpedo (which succeeded), and my first thought was of Arthur C Clarke’s “Superiority”.

A highly recommended must read.

Thanskgiving Support Funnies, or why I Hate Cheap Android Phones:
Got stuck fixing my MIL’s Android phone because Facebook doesn’t work. Now, I have posted in the past my experience with doing cleanup work on her iPad (which involved learning entirely too much about her browsing habits) and did not wish to do so with her in the room, but because I am not gifted with repairing engines and such technology is my job.

Anyway, it’s an HTC phone. I think it’s an HTC desire and, yeah, Facebook doesn’t work. There’s password issues, but it looks like the core issue is it comes with 4 gigs internal and that’s full, and I can move anything to the nearly empty SD card for some reason. So I mess around with it carefully avoiding opening photos, browser history, etc. Finally ended up installing “Facebook Lite” and making sure that works, then calling it done.

I know I prefer iOS devices, but working with cheap/old phones totally wrecks Android’s rep in my mind.

(Here’s where we’d stick the outtakes were this a movie. So here’s one I edited I’m sure you all would have enjoyed:

Got stuck fixing my MIL’s Android phone because Facebook works.

Enjoy!)

All those clickbait articles that start with “Photoshop didn’t exist back then, so this is real” depend on people not remembering that photographs used to be retouched by hand.

And they did a very good job given the tools of that time.

People also forget that blurry objects can be different blurry objects, and that “modern” design often takes cues from designs from decades past.

I may have mentioned before, but I hate the Facebook app for Android. I started using Chrome to access Facebook and it is much faster. Plus it doesn’t rape my phone’s RAM, battery and processor, and I don’t get useless notifications. Woo hoo!

I’ve got an even better solution - don’t access Facebook at all :wink:

Ahahahahaha

Seems like the British folks got hold of some internal faceboob documentations and whatnots the sneaky, creepsy and tricksy way.

Going to be very interesting to see what comes of all this.

I will not be surprised if Brexit also kicks Faceboob out of its interwebz.