Movie reviews

Anywhere besides NYC really.

An LA setting would have been nice. Even Boston, which is apparently where they filmed.

The funny thing is, “Why don’t the public have proof of ghosts?” is a major theme of the movie.

I got it, where better than New Orleans? Especially if they filmed it there, they still need some help, and plenty of spooky places as it is. Replace all subway scenes with pump station scenes.

New Orleans would have made for a really great setting! It would have made for an incredibly tactile atmosphere, especially since there are neighbourhoods there that are still dead after the horror of Hurricane Katrina…

A lot of those neighborhoods were dead before Katrina, they just didn’t know it.

True, which is sad. Looking at the pictures makes me think of Middlesborough (pron Middles-burrah) in the early 1990s, where there were endless streets of derelict terraced houses despite there being a massive housing crisis. Nobody wanted to live there, not even the homeless.

They were cheap houses when they were built and they didn’t improve over time. Plus the whole x feet under sea level thing. Except for the trauma from the storm and losing all their shit I wonder if they aren’t better off now in Houston and Austin.

Kinda the same thing in Middlesborough. The terraces were built in a hurry in the 1870s thru 1900s and when I say hurry, these houses didn’t have a single straight line in them. At best they would be irregular rhomboid, with the roof slowly sagging in the middle where to save time the central A-frames didn’t have the cross-braces notched in, just bolted on. It’s amazing that so few of them fell down in the hundred years they existed.

But hey, historical right?

I googled that. Can’t blame them

When they’re built competently then terraces are a good way of fitting lots of families into a relatively small space whilst still giving each house garden room. The current building trend is to build entirely detached town houses, which in a time of severe housing shortage is ridiculous because no matter how many houses are built, the planning committees only ever release x amount of land at once, and we should really be making up the shortfall by building more terraces. Modern ones, with insulation, and solar panels, stuff like that.

The townhouses are built too small on too much land to emphasise “omg garden space”… because of this, a “large” bedroom size is 10ft by 8ft - compared to the house I live in which was built in 1912, as social relief housing (council property, private tenant) and the smallest bedroom is 12 by 14. The average new kitchen is some pokey 12 by 6 thing. I mean really, how do you fit a kitchen into six square yards?

(Numbers lifted from Bell Housing, one of the companies working on the South Beach Redevelopment 3 miles from my house).

Anyway I think we’ve become distracted… either move this away or return to teh movies :smiley:

I just saw the preview for the new Kong movie, looks cool.

Finally got around to seeing Finding Dory earlier this week. The movie does a good job of providing reasons why Dory acts the way she does and we get to meet her parents. Through the flashbacks, you get to see the struggles parents go through when they are raising a developmentally disabled child. Dory’s no longer just an amusing ditz, but rather someone who learned to live with her condition and took some important steps to improve her life.

It’s a good story, but the technology that went into some of the scenes is showcased by the short film that preceeds it. Piper tells the story of how a sandpiper chick overcomes her fear of the water and becomes very skilled at finding food beneath the waves and sand after watching some hermit crabs do the same thing.

Everything in Piper is photorealistic and there are objects and plants in Finding Dory where this is also used, while the main characters and other animals retain their cartoonish features. Each time, it’s something in the background or foreground that you only get a brief glimpse of, but it works well.

If you haven’t seen it, stick around through the end credits. The music is good and the view of slowly rising up through an underwater garden is pretty soothing. There’s also two gags at the end that make it worthwhile to stay.

Yesterday was Ice Age: Collision Course. This is another story about parenting, but it’s about parents learning to cope with their child growing up and leaving home. What do you do when your daughter’s fiancee doesn’t live up to your expectations and their plan for after they get married is to have no plan?

Diego’s also trying to work through whether he and Shira should have some kids, and Sid’s still having mixed results in finding love.

Framing the story is the impending impact of a meteor that’s heading towards the Earth because Scrat found a spaceship and he’s in outer space being Scrat. Part of this section was released earlier this year in front of The Peanuts Movie, so that’s no spoiler. But his involvement in rearranging the solar system is exaggerated to the point where it stops being believable.

The studio got Neil deGrasse Tyson to voice a character that also acts as a narrator for some of the sciency bits, but when other characters like Buck start in on more of that, that’s also where it stops being believable again. Buck goes on about a prophecy he figured out from an obelisk, gaining knowledge about science and mathematics that he shouldn’t be able to have.

I can also see a problem with how the movie presents itself. It’s trying very hard to be “hip” and “modern”. When it’s done well, it helps the audience relate better to the characters and the anachronisms that result can be funny. To me, it’s going to make the film seem dated really quick.

It’s like when you watch the third Austin Powers movie and at the end, Austin and Foxxy see a much slimmer Fat Bastard, who said he “went on the Subway diet like Jared”. Well, Jared’s actions resulted in him going to jail last year and being dropped as a spokesperson for Subway. The movie may have been released in 2002, but due to that joke, it’s always going to be locked into that time period. Likewise, hearing words like “gangsta” in Collision Course mean this movie is going to be locked into 2016 long after “gangsta” may fade from use.

It’s kind of a shame that trying so hard to be hip/cool/modern and the excessively-overexaggerated actions of Scrat drag the movie down. Had Scrat’s actions been kept as a separate short film, it could have been okay. Frankly, I expected Scrat to swoop down in the spaceship and help the plan the characters come up with to save themselves. That didn’t happen, but that plan wasn’t very believable either. But I suppose if you show that one squirrel-rat in a spaceship can knock Saturn so that it lands inside its rings in just a few minutes or seconds, then that plan was just as realistic.

As one reviewer said, this feels like a movie that should have been released direct to home video. As such, it would be worth renting, but I don’t really recommend seeing it in theaters.

I think that would have been more of an issue if someone was running around yelling “WorldStar!”

Something like “gangsta” is just like any slang in movies. Hip, cool, rad, wicked, dude, valley girlisms, surfer speak, gangsta, don’t really date a movie so much as they pack a whole character description into one word. Now, my daughter doesn’t know the 70-80’s surfer dude stereotype, but between the turtles in Nemo and several other characters she knows what that speech pattern and word choice mean.

I think there are enough movies out there that use the term, and will continue to use it (Because nothing is squarer than Holly Wood sometimes) for ages to come. Even after serious characters stop using it, cartoons and kids shows still will.

Didn’t see the movie, I thought the last one should have been direct to video, so there’s that. But, I’d say your description of Scrat moving planets is about as realistic as his moving continents around.

And I still haven’t seen Finding Nemo

Finding Dory takes place 1 year afterwards and definitely builds upon Finding Nemo.

On a different note, I don’t know how accurate this is, but it seems like that movies take place within a single day (or almost all of the story) sometimes seem like they’re too short.

It’s difficult, especially on movies like Nemo, to know how much time went by on the jump cut. Was this a journey of days, or hours? Were they resting at some point? Too much happens for it to be just one day.

I don’t care if this is all the movie is.