Movie reviews

There’s a manga series called Made in Abyss that’s an abyss that no one has reached the bottom of because trying to get back out triggers “a nightmarish series of transformations and madness”. People try because of priceless relics. A young girl finds out her mom might still be alive down there, so she has to go get her, no matter the cost.

It’s been adapted into an anime series, and now the first of two films for Made in Abyss: Journey’s Dawn is going to be in theaters during the next week. Wednesday, March 20th is the subtitled version and Monday the 25th is the dubbed version. Those two days only. See the website for the trailers and to buy tickets.

Forgot to put in a correction. Shazam comes out on April 4th. I don’t know why I thought it was on the same day as Captain Marvel.

I did go see Made in Abyss: Journey’s Dawn tonight and while I’d like to do a review on it, I’m not going to because I didn’t enjoy the experience as much as I should have.

It’s not because the story was bad. It was very good and very interesting. I haven’t seen any of the anime series or anything else, but I think this movie did a very good job of introducing the world to a first-time viewer. Later when I do see the anime, I’ll see how it fits in, be it a retelling, a continuation of the anime or a whole new storyline.

And this is the first of two movies they’re doing that tell one story, so it really will work better if they’re watched back-to-back to get all of it.

The problem I had was the sound. After the movie was a segment where the original artist and two of the people involved in the movie talked about it and how it expanded on the original manga. One of the things they talked about was anime TV series are done in stereo and since this was going to be a theatrical movie, they would be able to work in 5.1 sound, “shaping” where each sound is placed, enhancing the experience, etc.

Well, either they don’t know how to mix sound in a 5.1 soundspace or the theater needs to have their speakers balanced because there were several times where the sound coming from one speaker was drowning out the dialogue coming from the front. I had picked a row high enough so I could see the screen properly and I like to sit near the aisle, which put me closer to the speaker. I actually tried pushing on my ear to close it at one point because the speaker was so loud. At another time, it wasn’t deafening, but I was wincing a bit.

This wasn’t a problem with the volume being up too high on that speaker. If the volume was reduced, then the softer sounds would have been lost.

I almost walked out, but I wanted to stick with the movie. I probably should have moved to a different seat.

A new trailer for a new Jim Jarmusch movie starring Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Chloë Sevigny, Steve Buscemi, Danny Glover, Caleb Landry Jones, Rosie Perez, Iggy Pop, Sara Driver, RZA, Selena Gomez, Carol Kane, Austin Butler, Luka Sabbat and Tom Waits.

The Dead Don’t Die

this looks entertaining, and in was bombarded with links to it yesterday everywhere I went online.

The machine knows me.

How to train your dragon 3 was good and on par with the original two.

Not a review, but I appreciated seeing this from the Russos:

1 Like

I picked up Free Solo at Redbox last night after seeing it win Best Documentary at the Oscars. TL;DR: Accomplished climber makes a free solo (no rope) attempt on El Capitan.

I was really disappointed that I could only get it on DVD; it would be incredible in 4K. Jimmy Chin & his camera crew, many of whom are Alex Honnold’s friends (or became his friends over the course of the preparations for the attempt) deserve a crap-ton of credit for the effort required in shooting this thing. Many of the shots are dizzying due to the angles and I can’t imagine hanging off a rock face with a few dozen pounds of camera equipment, possibly documenting the moments leading to your friend’s death. It’s a difficult balance they have to strike, documenting the whole climb but staying out of his way and, in some areas, trying to stay out of his line of sight so as to not distract him.

The film isn’t just about the attempt on El Cap. I see some of the Amazon reviews are upset about this fact, but I really appreciated seeing some of the “what makes this guy tick” stuff. I would have enjoyed more footage of him scaling it but seeing the behind the scenes stuff fleshed out who he is as a person a bit more. His difficulties in relating to people, how and why he does this, and how losing other climbers affects him. I’m still confused about how the guy makes money; he lives a pretty simple life aside from the travel for climbing (he lived in a van for a decade) but still, where’s the money come from?

It’s also a bit about the people who surround him - his friends, their families, his girlfriend, his mother - and how they both cope with and support what he does.

The climb itself is as much mental as it is physical. As he goes through the pre-climbs scouting the rock face, it becomes clear that he doesn’t just know the route; he has memorized every inch of the rock. Every square millimeter he has to use to make each move in the difficult sections. Put the edge of a thumb here. Then twist it just so. Then put this finger in this almost imperceptible divot.

Even knowing how it ends, the final climb is incredibly nerve-wracking.

A couple dozen AMC Theaters are going to be open 24 hours a day on Thursday for the premiere of Endgame. One of the Twitter comments reminded everyone to treat the theater workers nice because they probably aren’t going to get a lot out of it beyond a few extra hours.

I’ll second that. Anyone that happens to go on Thursday to an AMC Theater, don’t turn this into the equivalent of Black Friday shopping.

And for cryin’ out loud, don’t talk about the movie until you’re back in your car! Do not spoil it for the people waiting to get into the theatre!

1 Like

I don’t see anything wrong with discussing it while you’re still in the theater and ending credits are rolling. I once got chewed out because friends and I were doing this and some people had come in while ending credits were still rolling and didn’t want spoilers. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

SNAPE KILLED THANOS!

3 Likes

I just saw Captain Marvel last night. I loved it. It wasn’t an amazing film by any means but after ant man and wasp, this was such a breath of fun fresh air. I enjoyed Brie Larson’s acting and attitude. Samuel L. Jackson looked good and was a joy to watch.

1 Like

I need to watch Captain Marvel several more times just to pick up all the ‘90s references. It was a fsckin’ time capsule!

1 Like

Ugh, still need to watch Marvel,and ant man and wasp. But my wife hasnt seen the first ant man…

I think seeing both Ant-Man movies might be necessary before watching Endgame. There’s a line in the one of them where Hank Pym says, “This isn’t some cute technology like the Iron Man suit.” Each of the movies going back to Iron Man all the way up to Captain Marvel builds towards Engame. I’m not sure when I’m going to get to see it, though…

On a related note, someone got their signals crossed:

1 Like

Some more than others (coughThor: The Dark Worldcough).

We haven’t done an MCU watch-through the past few weeks like some people have, but I think the kids know most of what they need to know at this point. I’m watching Iron Man with them tonight just to kind of set the stage of “this is how far we’ve come in 11 years.”

Markus, McFeely, and the Russos get a lot of (well-deserved) credit for putting the MCU where it is right now but the studio made a big gamble on Jon Favreau, RDJ, and a not-even-halfway-written script and look where they took us.

I really, really wish I could watch The Winter Soldier again without the knowledge of who TWS really was beforehand. One hell of a reveal. OTOH, I did get a healthy dose of betrayal in the second half of season 1 of Agents of Shield, which was excellent.

1 Like

Skip ant man and wasp its. It is crap

:rofl: :rofl:

I actually enjoyed it (I’m not saying it wasn’t crap, just that I enjoyed it :laughing:)

I’ve just watched Endgame and without giving any spoilers away, it was definitely not “Captain Marvel Saves the Day” as some people (including me) were fearing. It was awesome and paid homage to the whole MCU.
If you haven’t watched the entire series though there will be some bits where will just be wondering what the heck is going on.

Also, there are no after credit scenes. Apparently there is a sound at the end of all the credits, but my wife and I couldn’t be bothered sitting through the entire 10 or so minutes of credits to get to that. We have made an educated guess as to what the sound is, but will have to wait until we get the blu-ray to find out if we are correct or not.

BI enjoyed AM&W. It’s not a favorite, and if anything my reason for saying so is because t felt a lot more like it was falling in to the Stabdaed Superhero Movie mold, but I still enjoyed it.