Movie reviews

Agreed, not the least of which is due to the fact they got rid of Natalie Portman, or she got rid of them. Can’t stand her (except in V for Vendetta, for some reason) and can’t stand her character.

We’re four months away from the premiere of Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2. In the two trailers that have been released so far, I counted:

• 23 well-known company logos
  • one instance of a well-known company name being spoken and one of a well-known TV character’s name
  • the Disney princesses: Jasmine, Cinderella, Snow White, Pocahontas, Elsa and Anna, Moana, Belle, Rapunzel, Tiana, Ariel, Sleeping Beauty, Merida
  • Iron Man (and the Marvel logo, which is included in logo count above)
  • Pixar movies (Cars, Up, The Good Dinosaur), Star Wars, The Muppet Show, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Dumbo, the Disney Animation Studios building

So, are the critics going to complain about the movie being “a hyperactive piece of corporate propaganda” that is “little more than an exercise in advertising”, like they did with The Emoji Movie? Or will it get a pass because it’s Disney?

I’m hopeful that despite being corporate propaganda, it’s good corporate propaganda. I think the trailer with the princesses showed the writers were at least making fun of them a bit, which is a plus.

Well, nuts. James Gunn has been fired by Disney because of things he wrote a decade ago on Twitter. He says those were back when he viewed himself as “a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo” and he’s changed since then: “My days saying something just because it’s shocking and trying to get a reaction are over.” So while we’re going to get Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 in 2020, somebeody else will be the one that makes it.

I think that’s a reason why I like participating in forums like this. I can take my time to write something and I’m not restricted to making it fit within a small amount of words, so I can add in whatever I need to support it. It wouldn’t stop something from being taken out of context, but at least I could already have the context in with my original message that I felt needed to be there.

Just remembered this. James Gunn stated that the Groot we saw in Vol. 2 was Groot Jr. The original Groot sacrificed himself protecting the others.

Saw some of those things.

Dayum.

Who digged these old tweets out? And I thought old tweets died a natural death after a while…

So glad I’m not on Twatter.

Unless the web server uses something like the robots.txt file to prohibit other servers from crawling through the site, places like Google and the Internet Archive are going to capture at least some when they make their sweep.

This makes me think people should start using a “statue of limitations”-type concept for old messages. You got some sort of ruckus going on now and you uncover old messages. Do they directly relate to the current topic, showing a continuation of previous behavior? If yes, then they’re still relevant. If it’s a case of, “Look at the offensive things they said so long ago that are about different topics. That invalidates what they are saying now!”, you need to rethink your motivation for including them. If you don’t, you’ve set the standard that you feel no one can learn, grow and change their behavior as they get older.

The people over at Screen Junkies had some of the same thoughts. One of their reports from SDCC, which you can watch here, discusses the James Gunn situation. Two important points:

1. Gunn already addressed these same messages six years ago when they were brought up before the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie was released.
  2. The messages were brought back up with the deliberate intent of getting Gunn fired.

Paula Dean used to say the N word in the late 70’s and early 80’s… it almost ruined her in 2012 or so.

At some point we will have to learn this doesn’t help anyone.

What are you doing right now that will be actionable in 10 years?

Roseanne Barr is at it again, and I’m not going to include a link because it’s just more insanity disguised as shock humour which is a cover-up for being a terrible person.

Ready Player One just came out on home video and I’ve had a chance to watch the part thought was rather significant when I saw it in the theaters. It’s different than I thought it would be because it’s actually kind of inconclusive, and I’ll obscure it anyway just in case.

When Parzival is watching the scene between Halliday and Morrow where Halliday is saying he doesn’t want the responsibility that came with creating the Oasis, Parzival walks away because he thinks he’s heard everything. At that point, Halliday gives the clue about how to win the race.

Parzival turns back around and the scene’s different. Morrow’s no longer there, but it’s not clear if he just walked away or was removed from the recording at that point. Halliday’s now turned more to his right, so that he’s looking out of the recording to approximately where Parzival was standing in the hallway about twenty feet away. As Parzival walks back to the observation point, Halliday keeps looking at that same point, even when it’s rewound ten seconds and played back again.

So, was providing the clue at that point in that fashion new information that other people had never heard before? As in, it was custom-tailored for Parzival at that moment? Or, was it always there and nobody ever thought that talking about “going backwards, really fast” might just apply to the race that hadn’t been won in five years? Based on the way the Anorak avatar behaved later on, I’m leaning towards the first.

Odd. It looks like the spoiler tag is set up correctly, but it’s not blurred out for me.

The spoiler tags don’t work because there are multiple carriage returns between paragraphs. To fix it, either remove one of the CRs or enclose each paragraph in a spoiler tag :slight_smile:

Nor for me.

It looks like I can’t go back and edit it. Too much time has passed, so a mod will have to do it.

waves magic wand Done! :tada:

My Deadpool 2 review is on hold for another month since it will be out on home video at that time with a significantly expanded version.

Even mentioning the timing of a couple of those spoilers is a spoiler.

This is kind of cool. Tom Cruise posted a picture about where they had a screening for Mission: Impossible - Fallout. Somewhere that is located at 2,000 feet and took 2,000 people four hours of hiking to get to.

The marketing for Deadpool 2 showed up on Not Always Right this morning, up in British Columbia, Canada:

Beautiful Moments Do Come Out Of Ashes

(I work with an older guy who can be considered a “classy gentleman.” He is kind to everyone, is virtually uncontroversial at every angle, and has very modest taste in just about everything.)

Coworker: “I was watching the new Celine Dion music video the other day. As always, she was very elegant with her performance.”

(Okay, so, he likes Celine Dion; we all saw that coming more than a mile away.)

Coworker: “They also took a very interesting approach. I wasn’t sure what they were going for, but I very much enjoyed watching the talented gentleman in the red suit dancing with her.”

(That’s a really weird way to describe Deadpool, but I don’t disagree!)