Movie reviews

Marvel has been slowly building their characters and background with their other movies prior to Infinity War, which created anticipation in everybody.

DC just seemed to plod along with their storylines, a reboot here, a reboot there, and yawn another reboot in general, instead of expanding and building on their previous movies.

LOL!!! Hehehehehe

I feel like DC really needs to sit down and think about why their characters are fun. Even going back quite a ways, I remember joking about the summer I watched two rich billionaires use tech gadgets to fight crime and how one actually looked like everyone involved enjoyed it. Iron Man wasn’t as critically received as The Dark Knight but it’s a lot more rewatch friendly and plain fun. It dropped a lot of the grim dark brooding that took over superheroes for a while. Heath Ledger’s joker was a great villain (note that the character’s new look was ill received before release and Ledger’s death) but even the Nolan Batman movies (batmen?) seemed formulaic.

And DC decided to ignore this relatively high point as the series continued. Recasting happens, and they could at least have kept to the mood.

I’m way behind on both Marvel and DC (superhero fatigue) but as far as I can tell DC is in a serious hole for the cinematic stuff. Their TV stuff does well, I think, but they need to totally rethink the movie plan. Maybe Ben Affleck should have gotten to do whatever he wanted.

Batman Ninja was terrible. I gave it a chance, but had to quit it.

As someone who was never into comic books, the recent DC movies have zero appeal (lookin’ at you, Batman - so gloomy), whereas I’ve been surprised after the fact several time by movies that turned out to be part of the Marvel universe or whatever. Like Guardians of the Galaxy. What a fun ride. And a few others, like Ironman and Captain America were just good movies, regardless of their comic roots.

Yep. First three was OKish in a way, then I was off. When dark knight was announced, I was like meh, probably just as dark and gloomy like the previous ones.

When Spider man was released, it was a good hit with me. My kids also watched it. (Btw will not let them watch batman, too dark and gloomy, and may creep them out).

Rest of the Marvel universe turned out to be very good. Somebody must have planned seriously and well ahead so that you can watch any marvel movie on its own, or together as a series (which they intended it to be) to have an epic that rival (or even surpass Lord of the Rings). DC? Meh.

By the look of things, Infinity War may not be the last we will see about the Marvel universe.

Infinity war spoiler Infinity war spoiler Infinity war spoiler Infinity war spoiler

Read at your own risk!!!

So Thanos got the infinity gauntlet all activated, and then the movie ended.

A real cliffhanger of note, probably the most epic ever, and world+dog have to wait till May 2019 to find out what kind of whoopass can be dealt out to the neighborhood bully.

Or the best trolling attempt.

Anyway, expect the final Avengers (probably not) to be hyped up to the max. It better be good.

We shall see, I suppose, we shall see.

One thing’s for sure - DC won’t be able to catch up with Marvel.

IMHO, A:IW is the first Marvel movie that isn’t watchable in a vacuum. There’s little brand-new character development and a lot of relationships between characters which, if you haven’t see the previous movies, will be very confusing or leave you missing a lot of important pieces. There are even some pieces that assume you’ve seen a few post-credits scenes.

Disney/Marvel is printing money with the franchise, why would they stop?

I do think that it’s the last we’ll see of Nick Fury though. It’s totally a Samuel L. Jackson thing to leave with a “motherfskcer”. OTOH, when they bring back everyone else (because they have to find a way to bring them back, right?), maybe he’ll be among those reincarnated?

Then local theater is doing a Deadpool double feature in IMAX on thursday. It’s $15 a ticket, my wife and I are going on a date.

We’re missing Infinity War… But maybe it will be out in a couple weeks still.

It’s not. Marvel’s already announced nine release dates through to 2022, but the only one that actually has a hero attached yet is Spiderman 2. Marvel won’t release the other movie titles until after Avengers 4, presumably so they don’t give away who comes back. :slight_smile:

Having said that, Guardians Vol. 3 has already been confirmed, a solo Black Widow movie has (I believe) been confirmed, and Black Panther and Doctor Strange are pretty much a given. I suppose with Guardians they could do it with the original Guardians, who showed up in one of the end-credits scenes of Guardians 2 (the bunch led by Sylvester Stallone).

July 5, 2019 - Spider-Man 2
May 1, 2020 - Untitled Marvel Movie
July 31, 2020 - Untitled Marvel Movie 2
November 6, 2020 - Untitled Marvel Movie 3
May 7, 2021 - Untitled Marvel Movie 4
July 31, 2021 - Untitled Marvel Movie 5
November 5, 2021 - Untitled Marvel Movie 6
February 18, 2022 - Untitled Marvel Movie 7
May 6, 2022 - Untitled Marvel Movie 8
July 29, 2022 - Untitled Marvel Movie 9

Ending the MCU would seem to be a horrible idea to the accounting staff at Marvel/Disney.

OTOH, there’s rumors they might be considering replacing characters as a lot are just getting bored or worn out doing them… Robert Downey Jr. being the best known for this. I won’t be surprised if they try to clear the decks to move some characters out and focus on newer ones.

Agreed. Chris Evans’ contract is up after Avengers 4, so I suspect he’ll “retire” and either Sebastian Stan or Anthony Mackie will take on the Captain America mantle, as they did in the comics. My money’s on Sebastian Stan, although with the White Wolf moniker he got in both Black Panther 2 and Avengers: Infinity War hinting at a different path for Bucky the studio might go with Anthony Mackie instead. I suspect Ant Man and Wasp may get one of the nine slots for a third movie.

And, while it will likely never happen, I would pay good money to see an all-female team up with Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Okoye, Shuri, and Maria Hill (as the SHIELD liaison). And maybe Captain Marvel thrown in as well, just to round things out.

Dakboy’s right. You’re not going to understand this one completely if you haven’t seen most or all of the others plus the in-credits scenes. As noted before, Marvel laid the foundations for Avengers: Infinity War throughout all the previous movies. Just about everyone who was in an earlier movie showed up for this one and they brought back someone I wasn’t expecting but they got a different actor than before. They had an explanation for most of the characters who weren’t in it.

The movie follows on the heels of Black Panther, and like that movie, has a villain with a very valid reason for his actions. I’ve seen a couple of articles that say he could be the hero, just as I’ve seen articles that say that Odin was actually the villain for the Thor movies.

The previous times we’ve seen Thanos, it gave me the impression he was another of those villains that was doing bad things because he was a bad person. I’ll pick Enchantress from Suicide Squad as an example. She was imprisoned in the distant past with no reason specified in the movie that I can remember, so when she got free and found out that she and her brother weren’t being worshipped as gods any more, she decided to get back at the entire world. Kind of a petty reason.

Infinity War has a different Thanos. He’s seen first-hand what uncontrolled population growth will do when there’s finite resources, the same concern we have right now on Earth. For example, Lake Mead is estimated to go dry in 2036 and Las Vegas is already looking at getting a pipeline run to a different aquifer 260 miles away. But when no more water can be diverted from other areas to support it, Las Vegas will become a ghost town.

Thanos sees that happening on a universe-wide scale and he’s decided he has to be the one to prevent it. Not because he thinks he’s the only one that can see The Truth, as so many other deluded fanatics use as their justification, but because he’s seen the cost. Some of his “Children of Thanos” do fall squarely in the fanatic category because they see this as a holy mission, rather than the necessary mission that Thanos does.

We also see that when Thanos calls someone like Gamora “Daughter”, he means it. His necessary mission to save the universe has a nobility to it that’s not a feigned or self-righteous nobility, so if he takes you in, he cares for you, even if it doesn’t look like it.

But for everyone else, his actions are brutal. Death and destruction everywhere he goes. This accellerates as he begins collecting the Infinity Stones. Each one makes him more powerful than he already was, evidenced by the fact that he could touch each of them without being torn apart, like what happened to Carina in the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie (the slave of the Collector that decided enough was enough when she saw what the Power Stone could do). It shakes most everyone to their core, including, apparently, Hulk.

After jumping around to different parts of the galaxy to tell the story and show how all the pieces from the previous movies fit together, Infinity War culminates on Earth in a massive, very brutal battle. It’s not really a spoiler to say that a lot of people die because both Marvel and DC haven’t been shy about killing off characters (usually the villain) in their movies. But who dies and how it happens is brutal for the audience.

At this point, we have two more movies that will be released before the next Avengers film in May 2019. We have Ant-Man and the Wasp in July and Captain Marvel in March. It’s not directly related, but let’s throw in Deadpool 2 later this month. So, we’ll see how they fit into building to a resolution of where this movie ended.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, it's worth your time.

Regarding the contracts for the actors, Marvel has a choice of two ways to continue their movies. The first is what already been done in the comics and other movies: reboot or just say that a character who appeared to have died didn’t actually die.

The other is a trend that’s been more prominent during recent years: a character is actually a title that is handed from person to person. After Thor wasn’t deemed worthy to wield Mjolnir any more, he became “Odinson” and Jane Foster became Thor. When Tony Stark was out of commission, a teenager named Riri Williams came up with her Iron Man armor and took on the name Ironheart.

Or they could mix and match from both.

I would guess they’ll do both, with occasional twists like replacing a character, then going back to the ‘original’ but it’s a different actor.

I’m very slowly getting caught up on Marvel movies. At this rate, I will be ready for Infinity War in 2025!

It came out yesterday that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 6 won’t appear until Summer 2019. Makes sense, because if they were to pick up in Fall 2018 or even Winter 2019, they’d have to address a lot of things coming out of A:IW (even taking into account the current whack-ass timeloop stuff in S5). It also implies a few things about the plot of A4.

But that means over a year w/o new episodes, and that makes me :sob:

You are spot on with your review, and with your assessment of Thanos. There’s an old writers’ maxim that says a good villain is always the hero of his own story, and it’s never more true than in the case.

One thing - it’s been confirmed that Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place between Civil War and Infinity War and will deal with the fallout of the former for Scott. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised (and would be very happy) if we got a Clint Barton cameo in Ant-Man setting up why both of them weren’t in Infinity War.

(not really a review, just sharing, since it isn’t too far of the recent topic of comic movies)
I had a code for a free DVD at Redbox on Monday, so on a whim, I picked up Deadpool. I was just a little surprised that I really liked it. It was fun, kind of a wild ride. Lots of humor, though some was quite dark. I had no idea that Morena Baccarin was in it - hubba hubba! Nice bonus.

Loved Deadpool. We have tickets to see DP2 (which is what they’re calling it :slight_smile: ) on Sunday. Nice reclining seats, too.

I hope the double feature doesn’t burn me out before it’s over.