Laws of MMO development

Or to create a decent defensive formation.

I think it’s just laziness. Or an inability to manage multiple details at once.

Dev Team One: “Hey, let’s call this skill Ghost Hymn!”

Dev Team Two: “Hey, I got a great name for a spell! Ghost Hymn!”

Dev Team Three: “I think the other teams are calling this Ghost Hymn.”

Project Lead: “Well, that’s done!”

If it is a bomb or a missile, it has splash damage. So yeah, the walls around your turret would also be toast (if not creme brulee).

If dropped bombs or missiles had that kind of precision, the military wouldn’t need lasers.

Don’t send players “compensation” for crashes or errors until it’s been fixed. Otherwise, they might never catch up.

Going back to early in this thread about what Viking said (“Oh yeah. There’s nothing like dropping an onion onto the dead frog to open the secret trap door in the ceiling, thus allowing you to escape the dungeon…”), it was either Bureaucracy or Starship Titanic that was labeled as the game you could only solve if you were Douglas Adams. Both were written by him, but the game in question had puzzles so obscure, you had little chance of solving them.

I have no idea what the game was called, nor who wrote it.

All I can remember is that solution to a particular problem, and that the game was on the Sinclair Spectrum platform - so early 80s.

This is a problem I notice with a lot of the ‘escape the room’ flash-based games and such. The logic is very frustratingly based on either idioms that are local or translated from another language.

If (for example) I was doing a Maryland-themed game and wanted puzzles to involve things like how to tell male and female crabs apart (hint: if the abdomen ‘middle piece’ is long and thin like the Washington monument, you’ve found a boy crab) I should recognize that a lot of people would give me blank stares if I brought that up in conversation (you are doing that right now, aren’t you?) and that I need to hide that knowledge in the game somehow.

Also, ‘point and click’ adventure games need to adopt some sanity measures. If you’re combining things, you need to support both ways of doing so or at least hint if it almost works one way. For example, if you need to cook spaghetti (perhaps to make a wig like in Day of the Tentacle) you should accept that while the intended process may be:

• place pot on stove
  • place water in pot
  • place pasta in pot
  • use stove

Understand thay it’s ok if the user wants to ‘put water in pot’ before putting it on the stove (it’s the way I’d do it normally at home) and maybe even put the pasta in before anything else. And even using the stove without a loaded pot should respond with, “You should put something to cook on the stove before you turn it on.” to show that what I’m doing is almost right.

Also to include making the “click” area larger than a single pixel.

Definitely. Not quite a Point & Click, but the recent Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Editions added a feature (that might have been in alter games using the same engine) where pressing ‘tab’ highlights interactive elements. Makes it much easier to find the one tree in a forest where there’s a magic ring hidden in a knot-hole because, hey, free magic ring.

Within reason. There’s a game I play sometimes where the quest button’s click area/tool tip area is twice as large as the button itself (which isn’t small either).

The combination of the single pixel click zone and the nonsensical items is what drives me over the edge.

And since I usually don’t play video games to think everything becomes nonsensical. WTF do noodles and a pot have to do with each other, not noticing the 4x4 pixel water faucet. If I wanted to think that hard I’d talk to someone.

Couple games do that, and I usually play them to the point where I need Tab Lock.

[quote=“Woodman, post:50, topic:893”]
I usually play them to the point where I need Tab Lock.
[/quote]Tape is your friend.

AYRRS* dialogues are really really annoying. And there are very few instances where they are actually needed.

*“Are you really really sure?”

http://www.kongregate.com/games/R2Games/shadowbound
So, apparently Atlanteans are mer-folk that… swim… through… air…

The concept of environment completely escapes these people. Personally, I think Reality2 should be banned from producing games.

OK, tried War Thunder and Armored Warfare, World of Tanks was pissing me off.

They are both pretty fun, but War Thunder seems to reward careful play more, where Armored Warfare is run around and go batshit crazy sort of thing. I also like the physics engine in WT better, and the planes.

At this same time, I just signed my daughter up for WoT so we can play together.