Kittehzes! & Pets

My dog likes to walk on the back of the sofa and is currently balled up on my lap.

One of mine (Paddy) used to dunk a fluffy ball in his water bowl and drop it on my pillow at 2am.

Of course, throwing it away meant that he would just bring it back again.

Charlie is just as silly as Paddy ever was, but I still miss that little fella.

I had to take Widget to the vet yesterday. She threw up six times yesterday, and wouldn’t touch her favourite treats. She doesn’t have any blockage, so she was given some fluids and an anti-nausea injection. I have two more syringes to inject her with over the next couple of days, but if she doesn’t get better I have to take her back for blood work. She didn’t throw up last night…

Crap. Fingers crossed for you!

She threw up once yesterday and hasn’t been eating much, but she ate a little yesterday afternoon, a little more this morning, and hasn’t thrown up yet. She looks more alert than she did when I took her to the vet. I have one more dose of cerenia to give her tonight (last night’s wasn’t fun to administer, so I’m not looking forward to tonight’s). Hopefully she’ll be back to normal tomorrow.

Keep the cerenia in the fridge. It stings less when it’s cold. For realsies. But it still stings a little. Its awesome though. Cookie get it for car rides. Because cleaning up half-digested dog food from in between the seats of a car is no fun…

My vet told me the same thing. :slight_smile: There was a small bit of liquid only vomit on my floor today, so I’m not sure if it was Widget or not. She’s eating some, but not much still. I’ll continue to keep an eye on her and if her appetite isn’t back to normal tomorrow, back to the vet we go

Widge appears to be back to normal today. She nibbled all night (How do I know this? Because she kept poking me in the head to give her food. :frowning: ), and didn’t throw up once.

My neighbors have two out of three dogs with heartworms. He was out of work, so I’m sure the heartworm meds were the first to go.

That sucks. So where is the $2500 to treat both dogs going to come from? And the third could be infected and just not far along enough to show positive. Sucks, because $15/mo could have prevented it… :angry:

Dunno. I went down that road once. Found out she had worms right after I lost my job. She made it another 4 year pretty well, and then went down real quick in just a couple months. 14 years is pretty darn good for a German Sheppard with heart worms. We also looked at some alternative treatments that would might have worked too, but while they were cheaper, they had a lower success rate so a potential for even higher cost, and a dead dog who seemed perfectly happy as is.

Since then, even when it’s rough my dog gets them. If it came down to it, she’d at least get them during mosquito season. But that’s at the turn off cable, eat beans and rice, shut all but one phone down stage now.

sigh Now it looks like Usagi, Widget’s sister has caught whatever it is. She doesn’t appear to be as sick as Widget was, but she’s thrown up twice today. :frowning:

That sucks, sorry.

Q for @MSUAlexis… Does neutering really help with piddling/marking?
[EDIT: warning, rants coming up after the background info.]
We have no way of knowing how old Scrappy is, but I’m guessing around 1.5 - 2 years old. He looks like some kind of Yorkie mix - Yorkie face and coloring, and only weighs like 6 pounds, but he has crazy long legs.
He is a second hand rescue - the ‘rescuers’, from whom we got him, received him after he was rescued from an apparently worse situation (we have no additional information about his previous life), but they treated him like a second class citizen - their dog had Most Favored Dog status while Scrappy got stuck living in a bathtub for apparently 20+ hours a day. We’re guessing we got him around 6 months later. He quickly bonded with me and then with Dixi, and eventually became comfortable in his new surroundings. He seems to know that he needs to go outside to go potty. He was doing pretty good with crate training, but the rest of the family doesn’t seem to understand the concept (“oh, he’s sad”, “that’s mean”… Yeah, except that he goes in to hang out in his crate sometimes, even when people are home and the door is wide open, so my argument that ‘it gives him a place he feels like is his’ seems correct.) Consequently, they almost never put him in before leaving. But, he goes right in when I tell him to go to his room. When he was in his crate for part of a day, he did fine - no messes. Dixi usually gets home from work by 3, so he would be in there for 7-8 hours. Now that it is summer and Dixi is home all day, Scrap will go off when no one is looking and piddle on things, anywhere from a few drops to a small puddle, like less than a melted ice cube. Sooooo, when I get home, I find his little deposits and clean them up. (WTF? Is everyone else here blind or something?)
And that’s where the neutering idea comes in. Some places say it will help, some say it won’t. I suspect that because he is young, it might help more than if he was older. Dixi thinks it is mean, so I’d like an opinion I trust before I push the issue.

Man, I had a cage trained dog, and other people can kiss my ass, that dog loved her cage.

Peanut LOVED her cage, too…
Thunderstorm brewing - Peanut’s in her cage.
Fireworks going off - Peanut’s in her cage.
Vacuum cleaner going - Peanut’s in her cage.
Halo battle is raging with the stereo cranked up - Peanut’s in her cage.

My ex got Peanut in the divorce. Peanut and Norman were best friends.

Yes it can. First I would check to see if there is a medical condition like infection going on. Then I would consider neutering. Overall it sounds like a be issue a combination of being a Yorkie (can be hard to train), lack of training to start with, and lack of follow-through currently. I would, after knowing there is no infection, start house-training all over. Take him out every hour, then two, then three. Cookie goes out every four hours when we are home and is crated when we are not. If we let him have full run of the house he will pee when he needs to but not if he’s crated.

That being said, even if it is marking urges, neutering may not fix it. It may help, but he’s learned he can do it and not get in trouble. So there must be some retraining. I liken it to Mike “The Situation” on the Jersey Shore. Had we neutered him at 9 he might not be such a d-bag. But since he’s learned people will tolerate him, even if we were to neuter him now he’d still act a fool. Maybe slightly toned down, but he’d need some retraining to act like a normal human member of society. (And yes, I use that example in rooms with clients when having the neutering discussion.)

Groovy, thanks :smile:
I’ll see if I can get Dixi a little more on board with the discipline. Train the humans to properly train the dog. :wink:
When I catch him, he gets corrected immediately - sharp EHT sound gets his attention, followed by NO while pointing at the spot, then taking him outside and telling him to go potty in a more soothing tone. When I’m lucky, I stop him as he starts lifting his leg. For the times when I find the tribute later, I just get annoyed - from what I understand, if it isn’t right away, there is no point in trying to point it out to the dog. Again, time to train the humans.

I had a ‘rescue’ worker flip out on me when I told her that I would take the pair of kittens (Widget and Usagi) home and they would spend their first couple of nights in the large carrier that I’d brought with them. I would be with them, and if they wanted out, I would let them out, but if they were unattended, they would need a place where they could feel safe from my other cats. Once everyone was used to each other, I would leave the crate available to the kittens for a few more days, open at all times, and it would go away only after I was confident that there was no danger to the kittens from the other cats already in the house.

You’re not caging them up, you’re giving them a safe place that is theirs. I never left the kittens unattended for more than an hour for their first couple of days.

@Nabiki this is exactly how veterinary behaviorists who specialize in cats recommend you introduce new cats to a household. So tell that shelter worker to stuff it. :joy:

80% of housebreaking is training the humans. Set them up to succeed by taking them out quite frequently, cage them when not attended to (including when you are just outside doing yardwork or when you are sleeping), and use positive reinforcement when they succeed. Seriously have a great big letting party when they go outside, complete with a bunch of “yay! Good boy! Who’s a good boy?” in your most ridiculous, lovey-dovey attention-giving tone. All they want to your attention and to make you happy, so if they associate pottying outside with large amounts of dad’s attention, they will want to go outside to potty more.