The Chronicles of George forums are offline.

The US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit's ruling re: Texas HB 20 imposes penalties for sites that "block, ban, remove, deplatform, demonetize, de-boost, restrict, deny equal access or visibility to, or otherwise discriminate against expression."

As a resident of Texas and the owner/administrator of the CoG forums, Texas HB 20 applies to me because the CoG forums meet HB 20's definition of "social media" ("an Internet website or application that is open to the public, allows a user to create an account, and enables users to communicate with other users for the primary purpose of posting information, comments, messages, or images.")

Because the CoG forum meets the definition of "social media" per Texas HB 20, and because the CoG forum's moderation policy requires removal of posts which contain false or misleading information, and because I am a Texas resident, HB 20 potentially imposes personal liability on me if the CoG forum moderators or administrators moderate or remove any posts for any reason at all—but especially if the moderated posts contain any disproved "conservative" talking points (like "The 2020 presidential election was stolen" or "Ivermectin is an effective drug for the treatment of COVID-19").

Therefore, to eliminate my personal liability, the CoG forums will remain offline until Texas HB 20 is overturned or otherwise invalidated. If HB 20 is not overturned or invalidated, the CoG forums will remain permanently offline.

Sorry, folks. I cannot afford being sued by the state of Texas. For the old-timer CoG veterans, I hope we're back online soon.

Return to the BigDinosaur.org homepage

Return to the Chronicles of George homepage