Home Ownership

Front door (centre), kitchen (left), living room and study (right), parents bedroom (top left), other bedrooms (top right) - five switches, one light

hallway

What about one light, one IR/RF sensor, five IR/RF transmitters?

Scratch that, the transmitters may tend to get lost or have flat batteries at inopportunate moments…

Install a clapper. Or Alexa.

In my head, this image needs to be animated with the Scooby Do logic where characters run into doors and immediately out doors on the opposite side and/or on a different floor.

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Alexa* should work nicely. Until you get a parrot.

*Really not advocating IoT tat, as you don’t know who’ll be snooping in on your conversations.

I’m thinking for the 5 switches a Hue light would work. A motion sensor or 2 would pop it on whenever someone walks around and they have Hue wall switches where you could have multiple switches that control the same light. I’ve been playing with my few Hue lights lately so I have it on the brain. I stuck a light on the porch and it goes on and off at dusk and dawn. I’ve been thinking of replacing the front door bulb too. And I just replaced my Logitech Harmony remote with a new hub powered one and it has dedicated lights for home automation. I haven’t connected it to my Hue bridge but it is connected to the Ecobee. This weekend I’m going to be playing with a Hue RGB strip I picked up.

We got our trees taken down this week. It was a good thing we spent money on new siding, doors and windows because you can REALLY see the house now. They did nick a gas line that was going to the gas light next to the walk up but it isn’t a huge deal. We were thinking of replacing the gas lamp with an electric one (‘Is that a gas lamp?’ ‘No, it’s electric… Boogie woogie, woogie!’). Our contractors came out and capped it and the tree guy reimbursed us the bill. Now we have to upgrade the window treatments… It’s a hell of a lot brighter in the kitchen now.

Oh… and once the weather gets better, I get to build a wood shed. I easily have a cord of wood sitting in the yard so I need to split it and store it. Renting a log splitter for the splitting part. I’m too old to be swinging an axe all day.

But you’d get to do your Gimli “And my AXE!” impression like 5, 6 times minimum.

My lawn is now truly grown to gargantuan proportions and must be mowed. I tried to do it a couple of weeks ago, but the mower died midway through. I called our mobile small engine repair guy and they were going to come out a week later: the 23rd. He forgot. When I called the next day, he said he could come out a week later: the 30th. Finally, the mower is fixed, 3 weeks after I REALLY needed to cut it.

I’m looking out over my lot now at the lawn waving in the breeze.

I know I’ll have to do it at least twice with the wheels at full extension and then lower down. Tomorrow is going to be hot and muggy. Sunday might be a bit better. I’ll tackle it a bit at a time until it’s all done. I don’t really have anything else that requires my immediate attention this weekend, so that’s my plan. I’ll have lots of club soda and fresh lemon on hand to keep me cool.

Wish me luck.

Do let us know if you find a Lost City somewhere in there :smile:

Ugh. Finished the master bedroom, but the fan isn’t balanced and I think the neighbors must have theirs on the same code because it randomly turns off at night, or the light will pop on. Can’t be my wiring. :grin:

Working on the master bath. Disaster. Not even remodeling, just trying to clean up so I can paint. So far I have a hole next to the shower where a leak had rusted out the corner, and I can’t get the nasty frost film off the windows. Plan to just drywall over the hole since I want to do a fun job on the bathroom next year. About to throw the windows to the curb. Who TF thinks this crap is a good idea? At least the spray can be dissolved…

On a positive note, I think I can just paint the stupid light fixture matte black and get more time from it. Not buying new for a room I’m going to gut.

Past couple weekends dakwife has repainted about 60% of the downstairs of the house. Kitchen, dinette and family room are a big open space, she started on the family room and couldn’t stop.

Dishwasher has been getting progressively louder and now it’s making a grinding noise. Neither appliance shop in town services Samsung. Can’t even get parts if I wanted to try it myself. There’s one way up in Rochester but I don’t know if they’ll come out to the sticks.

5 1/2 years that dishwasher lasted. Such a disappointment.

You’re the third or fourth person from whom I’ve heard about problems with Samsung appliances. One friend had two Samsung dishwashers die in like 5 years, but I think they were both control board issues. Someone else had the electronics fail in their Samsung refrigerator. Their clothes washing machines had a big recall a while back because unbalanced loads could make the tops fly off, simulating a small “explosion”. (I have the feeling that was probably exaggerated.)

My brother in law recently went through hell getting his LG fridge repaired/replaced (bad linear compressor).

I really am not in the mood to speed-research and shell out for a new dishwasher this week.

I installed my Maytag dishwasher the weekend I moved into my house, so over 15 years ago now. It is still working like a champ! The racks started to deteriorate a few years ago - cracks in the plastic (or whatever) coating let moisture in, so the metal inside started to rust. But my ex used to shove things in where they didn’t really fit, bending the fingers indiscriminately, so I can’t say for sure that it is the machine’s fault.

That’s what she said

My Samsung dryer had the heating element blow out after a couple years, looked like there was a fire. Then a couple months ago I replaced a pulley.

It and my front loader washer were both scratch and dent returns from Lowe’s, so I’m still ahead of the game.

Draughtswoman and we had two or three exchanges, now we have the plans for our house like we want, and it is all ready to be handed in at the municipal offices.

Nice to be 100% sure of what you want and what you’ll get. It is a basic house, no frills etc, we want to cut out as much fancy things as possible to keep building costs down.

Frills etc can be added at a later stage.

Excellent.

We did the same with our gas oven. It was the last unit in the shop, and it was the display unit.

Of course we got a discount as it had a scratch or two, but that is no biggie to us. It works, and that’s all we want.