Home Ownership

Would that include products like this:
which is a metal tile that is pretty hard to distinguish from a concrete tile?

They are great for New Zealand because they are light, strong, and durable - much better for earthquake country than having tonnes of concrete over your heads.

Yup, that’s a good example. I haven’t seen that style, but yeah, it totally looks like tile! I have seen the ones that look like asphalt three tab shingles, and similarly, they’re virtually indistinguishable from traditional. But when the older neighborhoods were planned, metal roofs were either industrial or corrugated, so the covenants / deed restrictions just said ‘no metal roofs.’ I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a line in an old template somewhere that is still being used for new developments, too.

EDIT- damn shame, really, because the new designs are fantastic, and so durable. But do they make that ping ping noise in a rainstorm? :wink:

Nope, our ones don’t. They are actually bonded with stone on the outside and that disrupts the sound quite a lot. They are still a lot louder than concrete tiles because they are thinner, but they don’t have that distinctive metal roof sound.

Here in South Africa we call those metal tiles 'Harveytile". They are quite tough, but a bugger to fix if you walk on one, bend it and it start to leak.

Yes, you get allsorts of different Harveytile designs and colours.

Our first house had Harveytiles. We had the usual leaking problem when it rains, and that was usually fixed with a blob of silicone over the nail holding said harveytile to the wooden frame of the roof. Plus dust, leaves and other things got in easily, so it was quite dirty up there.

See below link for a few samples and colours.

Things are coming to a head here, we may start building our hosue soon. After lots of faffing here and there, we have finally made up our minds and decided to go with a brick and mortar house.

We have no choice, municipal rules and regulations.

At first we wanted to build a sandbag house, but the architect doing the drawings never got back to us.

So for a year or so the status quo remained.

Two weeks ago, building inspector turned up, and got the fits as we are living in an “illegal structure”. Turned out that an ezehut (wooden house) on its own does not fulfill building regulations. We have asked for an extension on this matter as they want us to demolish this structure.

At first we decided to build a wooden house, but turns out it will be more expensive than brick and mortar.

Found an architect willing to help, and he drafted a letter requesting extension to the deadline. He will then come and assist us with drawing up of proper plans etc, including of a brick house.

As for the brick house, we plan to use stacking bricks, as you can build quicker with these, plus they work out cheaper.

For the roof we plan to use zinc sheeting and put insulation up underneath, so that you can view the roof trusses (extra storage space if I do a neat job with wooden planks etc).

So, now we wait for the architect to work out the costs. Will and can build it self, but need a builder to assist with the trickier parts (doors, windows etc).

So glad things are forcing us to get things done - at last. And about time too.

There are somebody selling wood from pallets, my idea is to use said wood for a floor, instead of tiles or carpet. And for the walls as well, giving the illusion of a wooden house. Still playing around with that idea though.

you can do some neat stuff with pallets, but nail removal is key.

And above i meant metal roof, not !real… And yes, it’s a shed roof on my 90 year old Sears Craftsman home. It looks nice. It doesn’t make any noise when it rains, it’s on top of the old roof with insulation between. And it was half an asphalt roof’s price.

I always find it weirdly intriguing when peeps from other countries talk about different roof materials, here we pretty much unilaterally have slate or terracotta tile. Asphalt sheets are used for shed roofs or high-rises because they’re cheap and waterproof. Wood, concrete and asphalt shingles, and the idea of a metal roof is rather alien to me. It’s super-rare to see a corrugated iron roof on any building that isn’t industrial.

This is what my roof looks like.

It’s awesome. Half as much as a regular roof and essentially a lifetime guarantee. Thankfully I’m a block outside the historic district or I wouldn’t be able to do it.

Looks really good and neat.

Yesterday I handed in a request for extension - and got a reply this morning that we have until the 30th April 2018 to hand in our plans for the new house.

Gives us a bit of breathing space.

I need some advice, friends.

@MrsDigital and I will likely be building our own home next year because we’re just not finding anything that we’re totally enamored with. There’s always something that just sticks wrong; the Master bedroom is usually too small to hold a King bed and furniture and walk-in closets are not to her liking.

So, it seems logical to find an architectural plan that we’re both a fan of where we can kind of dictate that stuff so that it’s our ‘forever home’.

Here’s where it gets… quirky.

We’ve found a handful of plans that we really really like, but one of the things that I’ve ALWAYS wanted is a house with secret passages. How in the serious Hell do I bring that up to a builder and not look like I’m totally pants-shittingly crazy?

Who cares if he/she thinks you’re crazy? If you’re willing to pay for it, they should be willing to design it. There’s nothing wrong with telling him what you told us, too. You’ve always wanted secret passages.

Yep, like @Nabiki says, who cares? You may well look like you are crazy, but you will be crazy with your dream house.

Though I actually think a builder would probably love to get involved with something like that. It would be something totally different to what they are used to and they will most likely remember it fondly for the rest of their lives.

Good points @Nabiki and @MikeP! :slight_smile: I suppose I’ve been worried that they wouldn’t take the request or work seriously.

Who doesn’t? Or hasn’t at some point?

Just keep an eye out for that surveillance van parked across the street after you move in. Because you’re obviously hiding something. :wink:

We totally want a root cellar for storing fruit and veggies in.

Will build a Top Secret root cellar after the house’s been done.

Gratch and I always say we’re going to build an escape tunnel. I’m fine with it with one requirement. The exit has to be a tree stump in the theme of the old Hogan’s Heroes TV show.

As to roofing, @Woodman’s roof is what I plan on putting on the shop. He’s right that they are easy to install and last what seems like for ever.

Gummi Bears!

I’d love to have a fake bookshelf-door to block access to a small room for my gaming stuff or similar. I think there’s some in Home Depot’s online store, even! A few vendors make them as well.

I have an affection for oddly-shaped spaces. I would love to have my office in an attic or similar, although I’d regret that in the summer heat most likely.

We’ve had the discussion that if we ever move, we’re separating two ‘spaces’ we previously had combined: My ‘hobby space’ and my ‘office’ space are probably going to be separate. Working from home recently has shown some issues with keeping them combined, so I may get a small bedroom as my ‘office’ as I had to kick $Wife out so I could work a couple nights without noise from her sewing machine.