Home Ownership

Sounds like you were exposed to the same product training that I was. :wink:

Thanks, definitely good to know that!

@DocDubious and @Woodman
Sorry for the belated reply. Should probably point out that the internal design of a British power socket isn’t designed around a bus. It’s actually a rail system. Both live terminals are connected to their supply by the same rail, same goes for neutral and earth. For power to fail to a terminal, the rail inside (approx 8mm by 1mm) would have had to have snapped … or melted. And the current to melt through it would have cut the RCD wayyyy before it melted.

I’m putting it down to something dodgy. Threw out the faceplate and the new one is fine.

Also, @Ook - patch the floor and then buy some self levelling finisher. It’s runny and sticky and nasty to get on your hands (mmm quicklime), but so long as you get a layer at least 5mm thick over the entirety of the floor you end up with a perfect smooth and flat surface.

I finally got a bike hoist mounted in my garage. It took about three days of figuring out add bracing for the pulleys to attach to and fighting with screws that kept stripping out because the house was built with the really dense hardwood that you can’t get anymore. I have to be careful about the tires rolling against the wall and to not touch the garage door opener chain. It’s squeezed into the one spot that it was possible to even do this and my arms are very sore, but I’m happy.

That’s what she said.

I have three bike hoists sitting in the corner of my bedroom looking at me disapprovingly. I need to clear out space in the garage to have somewhere to put them. And then I need to access the peaked roofline to mount them… doesn’t make much sense to mount it on the lowered flat part, I don’t think putting a bike up so I run into it with my face is any better than having it so I trip over it.

Having this pop up reminds me that I need to pull out some of my plans and ideas I have for the Shop. This spring/summer is a clean up of the shop and the garage. The Shop has just accumulated junk recently and I need to do something in there and I still need to finish the shelves in the garage.

We’re also looking into replacing our outer doors and doing some work in the upstairs bathroom. Namely replacing the tub and redoing the wall behind it.

Put in some shelving into the store a week ago.

Looks much neater and less cluttered.

Due to some changes at home, I finally get to start doing things with my house. Large projects include wood flooring through the entire house (sans basement), redoing the kitchen (but hopefully can get away with refacing the cabinets instead of replacing), and completely gutting and reconstructing the master bath. Smaller projects include repainting every room in the house, repainting (or more likely replacing) the trim throughout the house, tearing down some unnecessary cabinetry, and replacing minor things like blinds and disposal and garage door opener.

And I will be doing it all myself. I’m pretty excited. Kids out of the house in eight years, boys in high school in five. Will want to sell this house by then, but not in it’s current state.

Another thing? I will be making the kids help me. They will learn life skills if it kills them. :joy:

Good, another parent teaching their kids practical skills.

The world will be much better with kids getting taught practical skills instead of wasting their time away on tablets and PC’s…

I don’t like my dad. But I have to give him credit that the time I spent as a child in our house doing repairs around the house with him definitely gave me a leg up on our current improvements and made me not afraid to do things myself. I do draw the line at electrical and I never could sweat a pipe correctly according to Gramps, but anything else is fair game.

Big change in plans now. We got the siding and roof looked at and they are worse than we thought. We hoped we could get another couple years out of them. We can not. So around the end of March, we are getting new siding, a new roof with new ventilation system, 2 new doors and new gutters. That’s one contractor. The other one will be pulling the upstairs tub and walls and re-tiling everything. All in all, very expensive and very scary but the good news is once this is done, almost all major problems or projects the house could have will be done. We hope anyways.

We’re looking at getting a roof done soon.

Just pull a big-ass tarp over the roof and call it a Job Jolly Well Done? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You’re adorable.

Take a look a !real roofs, we love ours.

And I second the adorbs comment.

If only @Ook knew he wasn’t joking… there are houses on the Gulf Coast (Louisiana and Texas for sure) that have had blue tarp roofs for years, like since Katrina, since Ike…

Whut? For real? And I thought it was just a joke.

Guess if you can’t pay for repairs, then any port in a storm will do.

On the positive side, a tarp is cheaper to replace than a tiled/thatched/zinc roof.

Exactly, though it is usually asphalt shingles here…
In my world:

• tiles are too fragile - a hail storm will tear them up;
  • cedar shingles are generally not allowed because they’re flammable - thatched is right out;
  • corrugated sheet roofing (zinc/galvenized or fiberglass) is for sheds and barns - most neighborhood covenants prohibit metal roofs of any kind, which is too bad, because some of the newer designs are great

Oh I know this isn’t the end of working on a house. I’m not that clueless. But this takes care of us touching most of the big ticket items of home ownership. The windows are done and have a warranty of house or like 50 years or something. The furnace was pulled and completely over hauled and maintenanced including a re-installation according to current code. The AC unit was checked as well. The duct work down stairs was all replaced with new. The sewer line was replaced under the entire house including replacing any water lines that were accessible during it. The kitchen was remodeled with new cabinets and new appliances through out the house. Now we are doing siding and roof (again with 50 year warranty), replacing all the exterior doors and new gutters.

Our shingles won’t be straight asphalt. They are an asphalt and fiberglass combination called Fortitude that is supposed to be really good.