Home Ownership

You’ve seen my shower, that’s a repeating nightmare I have about what’s behind there. Lord knows what’s on the side where they covered the window.

The shower is actually pretty clean, but in trying to keep that way… Well, it’s a small space, we put glass doors in, and there’s this little piece that keeps them in place on the bottom that is basically glued in place… And it’s popped off twice now.

Is it bad that I’m thinking about doing this in the shower at my office because the “institutional/contractor special” that’s there sucks?

If you regularly use it and everyone’s cool with it… it’s less than $100 for your happiness, so maybe fine?

Stash the original in a box somewhere and go for it.

Tell me one of the stories… Tell me stories of people who are not working on their house constantly? You woke up late and did nothing all day? I bet that felt good…

So the floor project is over and we now move onto something else. Friday night was clearing out as much furniture as possible.

Sat was moving the rest and pulling up the floor. It came up nicely and we kept the end pieces separate so we could use what we could. I mapped out the floor dips and found basically a trough down the floor. That was the worst part that I found though there are a few other spots. Gratch and I talked over options and realized that now that we abandoned pretty much everything under the slab, a sub floor was the best option so we went to the the DIY store for some test pieces. The ‘subfloor’ material they had was very thin and since this was going onto a slab, I wanted something that would last so I drifted to cement board. It seemed to give the best rigidity with a small thickness. But we also wanted to pour the concrete we had to fill in the holes. Some of the dips were almost 1/4" deep so we poured at the worst spots and let everything dry.

Sunday after the cement had dried and we checked for big dips, we went to the DIY store for subfloor options. Attaching cement board to a cement slab is really hard so instead we went with traditional plywood. We tried a couple thickness and ended up with 3/8" plywood. It’s thick but anything thinner was spongey. We also grabbed some Liquid Nails/Construction Adhesive and 12 sheets of plywood and went to town. The nice thing is the math worked well. The room is 12’x25’ and with 4’x8’ sheets of plywood, I had little to no waste and was able to offset the joints. I know I should’ve coated the whole floor in glue but I didn’t want to piss off Future Darktan so I kept it to what I needed. I also got out the .22 nail gun for some shots in places that were still troubling or warping badly. Over all, the subfloor went in fairly well and covered a lot of the spots we didn’t get with the leveling compound. There are still spots though. But to do the leveling right, we’d have to re-coat the entire floor and it would still raise the floor level. A wooden subfloor gives us an option to go back to that if we want to.

Monday was putting the floor itself in. This time the floor went in much better than before since the floor was flat. It’s still not level in some places (and we don’t really care) but the overall floor is flat. Having that makes putting the floor in so much easier. We had to prep a few spots before we started but we got about half way before calling it quits.

Tuesday we put in the other half after getting much needed equipment*. The floor is a LOT tighter than before and a tip for future installers… Don’t do that last row at 10pm. Mine was done around 3 or 4 and they are so much nicer than the old floor. Gratch painted one of the walls of the room too while I was working on the floor. Everything got put back into the room and set up. I then had about 3 hours of actual vacation time to shower, eat and watch an old episode of Top Gear before the drugs kicked in.

Issues: There are still a few spongey spots but it is nothing compared to the old floor. It’s like night and day. The pattern is a little nicer too which I think didn’t help to the way the old floor was installed. I had about 2" of space between boards. I just used whatever I had at the end of a row to start the next one. This time we split the joints between boards. Imagine a brick wall and that’s more like it is now and honestly, that’s the way it should be. The other issue is the height. I now have a floor that is 1/2" higher than the other floors. I’ll have to see what the reducers can compensate for. I also still have a hall way and bathroom to do, but I plan on continuing the subfloor through there so it will be fine. And the tile in the front hallway is higher than the other floors so the gap won’t be quite to bad.

Injuries: Only hammered my fingers twice, once on the thumb and once on the pointy finger. I might have cracked a rib using the .22 nail gun. Gratch might have sprained a finger though.

So… how was your weekend?

*Explanation in another post

I didn’t want to add this to my other post in case it’s more marketing than anyone cares to see but if you’re working around the house this is a good place. Normally, I’m not one to sound like a commercial and this is not intended to be one but Gratch and I found a fantastic store.

Duluth Trading (look it up lazy bones) is an online and physical clothes store that we started using. It has fantastic clothes for both handy man work and regular day to day stuff. For us guys, all the pants they have are designed to not squeeze your junk when you bend down or move. They are the most comfortable shorts/pants that I own. They are also durable as hell. I have a pair of their firehose shorts and they feel fairly indestructible. They also are not as heavy as you would think. I also own their flex firehose shorts and pants and they feel just as good. The pockets are actually useful and where you need them. One of the things I like is the side pocket flaps are designed to fit inside of the pocket so that you can create an open pocket. Great for storing a bunch of screws that you can easily access. The flex pants that I have also have pockets in the knees so you can put in knee pads in the pants instead of wearing knee pads. Great if you will be on your knees occasionally and want to still be able to walk. I have a shirt and a pair of pants from the Breeze line too. They are okay and definitely cooler than regular clothes but I’m not sure if they live up to the hype. They also have clothes with SPF protection and bug repellent built in but I haven’t bought that.

For the ladies, Gratch loves this store. She can also attest to the comfort of the pants and clothes in general. So much that this is probably going to be her only store to shop at. She also loves the fact that the pants they sell have useable pockets. Even the ‘yoga’ or lounge pants.

The down side is this stuff is NOT cheap. $65 for a pair of shorts. My pants were $75 the other day and they were on sale but you get what you pay for so you end up with a quality product. The other issue is sizes. You might have to buy a size bigger. The flex firehose shorts were fine but the regular firehose shorts had to be a size up. They are really good on returns or exchanges though.

So if you need some work clothes, give this place a try.

Have you tried their underwear yet? I’ve been to the new one near us, and my present for dropping some weight will be a pair of pants and a couple shirts from there. I like that you can camp, or work in the yard, or whatever without looking like a homeless person because you don’t want to ruin your clothes.

Their socks also look amazing. My wife is really Jonesing for their outfits. They all look super durable and I wouldn’t mind paying so much for something that’s supposed to last so long.

I’m a big fan of ExOfficio underwear but anything but the black ones are a different fabric that rid up on me. I did snag a pair of their Armchillo… Again, probably get a size bigger but they are a decent replacement. They are definitely cheaper than ExOfficio so that’s good. I haven’t tried their socks yet.

I haven’t tried any of Duluth’s clothes, but I have some of their tools, etc.

I bought a vest and associated pouches a while back that makes home repair work SO much easier because the tools and parts are distributed better than a toolbelt alone. Not in their catalog any longer, sorry to say.

I have a decent Husky soft side tool bag that I like, but it’s a tad on the small size. I was thinking of getting one of their tool bags as a replacement.

I still haven’t pulled the trigger on a tool belt. Most of the work I’ve been doing lately is stuff where the smallest tool I’m working with is a power drill, and I’ve been working in stages, so at each step I basically only need one thing at a time. And I don’t think I want to wear a belt that will hold a quick square, rip guide, and 4 foot level. I do need a new pair of work shorts though, something that will hold up a knife, tape measure, and whatever else I’ve thrown in my pockets.

We hit burnout and needed to work on other things. Now the problem is getting back to ‘improvement’ projects, as maintenance projects sap what little time we have.

After I finish the kitchen cabinets/islands I’m imposing a moratorium on projects for a couple weeks. It’s not that I haven’t gotten any rest, it’s that I haven’t gotten any rest where I’m not thinking of everything I should be doing. I want to take that couple weeks, relax a little, then work on some fun stuff I want to do, I have ideas for patio tables, and then get back to the other stuff like rebuilding my chicken run.

If I didn’t already have a belt and a vest, and if I had the money…I’d buy from here:

https://www.atlas46.com/

I got the idea of connecting a siren to a motion sensor, stick it up a pole somewhere close to our perimeter and see what happens.

If it scares away ne’er-do-wells, then good, but if it bleats every time a fieldmouse farts, then it’ll need to be tweaked.

So, exactly how far out in the boondocks is your place? It sounds like something out of Mad Max sometimes, and other times just like any other major city. I know there are some out of the way places in the US like that, but not within commuting distance of a major city, unless you count the ones inside a major city.

I know it’s kind of a derpey American questoin to ask.

At the moment it is like Mad Max as we now have ne’er-do-wells who tend to drift through on a regular basis looking for things to steal. Lost a spare tyre and a brand new battery, but have been taking more care since. Neighbours also getting fes up with the ne’er-do-wells and the community patrol is very active.

Nearest shopping centre (small grocery shop, bottlestore and electrical and paint wholesaler is about 6kms away, and the nearest mall is 10kms away, with another mall being erected nearby as well.

Work is about 28kms away, the first 10kms or so have yucky traffic, but thereafter it is fine.

Kids love it on the smallholding, all of us doesn’t want to go back to a suburban area as we will miss the open space.

Safety wise we also took a few precautionary steps ever since two ne’er-do-wells broke into our house early one morning. Was not fun, but we came off relatively unscathed and they did not take anything.

I officially dislike installing pedestal sinks.

Hanging sinks are worse.

What is it with pedestal and hanging sinks?

You do get prefab wooden cabinets with a sink onnatop, which 007 will approve of.

Just move it into position, connect pipes up & fasten cabinet to wall and you’re done.