Home Ownership

It’s actually not bad. You don’t really hear it unless you are down next to the utility room door.

Our house was built in 1971. It’s a bit drafty. We would like to get the house re-sided but we have asbestos shingles so replacing them will be a pain. Luckily state law says that as a homeowner, I am allowed to dispose of the shingles myself and I don’t have to hire a company. Still it would mean me taking all the shingles off just before a crew shows up to re-side the house. Timing would suck. Anyone want to come help? You get a nifty Tyvec suit and a respirator for free…

And @Woodman, there’s a setting on the ecobee called Follow that does that. It gives rooms that it detects are occupied a higher priority. Our house still has cold spots so we don’t use it.

When I was younger, we used to go visit family in either Ohio or Maryland every Christmas and most Thanksgivings. I can remember being out in a T-shirt when there was snow on the ground, especially if we were active, like playing in the yard. I know Maryland, like in the Annapolis/Baltimore/DC triangle, has high humidity in the summer, but it was always so much drier there when it got cold. It seems like it is so much more rare for the humidity to drop below 80-85% in Houston, so when the temps drop below 68-70, I’m looking for a jacket. When it gets below 55-60, I’m looking for a coat. If it is under 40, I’m probably layering a fleece under a heavier coat.
Head up a little farther north, like say Dallas, and the humidity drops with the temp, so it isn’t so bad. When I went hunting the weekend before Thanksgiving, we were a couple hours west of DFW (close to here.) The temp dropped the first night, like from the 60s to 30 or 31. It was so cold, my toes ached in two pairs of socks inside my sleeping bag. About 2 or 3am, it looked like the humidity was freezing and just hanging in the air. It was kinda freeky but cool. By 8 or 9, the temp wasn’t up to 40 yet, but it had dried out so much that it was almost comfortable.

I might could. My aunt would be thrilled if I was in the area and visited her. They’re just outside Annapolis.

I was actually certified in commercial asbestos removal a l-o-n-g time ago, so no. Thanks. I don’t want to help.

Place I worked at before current job managed the local Abestos workers union benefits. Quite a few of them were the 1st or second generation workers, did this crap just wearing masks and basic coveralls. Most of the work we did was pension payouts on death. Dudes were dropping like flies, everyone knew it was dangerous by the time they were doing it, but they thought simple precautions were enough. Now, it’s pretty safe, compared to any hard job in construction.

I am pretty sure I have asbestos tape on my ducting in the basement. I just don’t touch it. It’s on the list, but it’s pretty far down it. I am allowed to take it down myself, but I’ll need some motivation to do it, or I’ll just drop a couple grand on a professional team.

In less than a day after buying it, I managed to lose the one part that prevents me from using my new hand router: the collette. And now i just realized I typed in the wrong part number yesterday when I went to order a replacement from the manufacturer.

Collets are pretty standard. You should be able to just go to the hardware store and pick one up.

I’ll check again next time I stop in, but I only remember seeing the router and a few cutting bit selections. The parts catalog I found online showed it was more like a bowl rather than the “tiki torch” shape I’ve seen for other things like Dremel tools.

Maybe in here?

Anyone use a WiFi extender?

I’m looking at my cable company supplied router and wondering what I can do to zip things up a bit, and extend it into the backyard. I have CAT 5 going from one end of the house to another, dangling from basement beams, and that won’t likely change because VOIP, but having my phone and tablets bump off and on the network everywhere is annoying.

I’ve used a couple with signal quality that ranged from complete suck to barely passable. They were the completely wireless except for power brick variety - so really wireless repeaters.

Since you have a wire running already, I recommend doing the other thing I’ve done, which is way better - get a second wireless access point that connects to the wired network. I’ve used routers and configured them as access points, so not using WAN port, not using DHCP/NAT/Routing functions, just plug uplink into one of the four LAN ports and let it share that out through the antennas. I ran a wire over the parish hall to the far side of my church and stuck a ye olde Netgear router in an upstairs storage closet. Now there is good WiFi coverage everywhere but the sanctuary, which is a separate building. Not counting power outages, I think it has been rebooted once in, geez, 5 or 6 years? In that time, they changed ISPs, and the new carrier replaced the modem/router at least once, but the little Netgear has been great. In its former life, when it was doing all the work (NAT/DHCP), seems like I had to reboot it every couple months, but it is much happier with the lighter workload.

You could get really fancy and get the centrally controlled/administered ones that @Lee_Ars uses, but they’re not cheap. (quality never is) :wink:

Just doesn’t seem right to spend real money so I can get wifi in the chicken coop. I’m thinking of burying a line to go out to the garage after I get power out there. Doc helped me get started wiring it but life got in the way of updating the power enough to get it out there.

Who else is stuck in a loop on home maintenance?

To do X I need clean garage.
To clean garage I need storage solutions.
To make storage solutions I need a clean garage.
Also, need bed. fish tank stand, and God knows what else first. (I’ve done the bed and the fish tank stand, and kitchen shelves)

But it sucks to have a weekend project in the way of making another project which needs done now a half hour deal instead of a half day deal.

Can’t say I’m here, but I am apparently the hero of procrastinating about moving some furniture around so I can get around to buying a couch eventually.

When I finally get around to the Shop project, I plan on running a CAT6 line out there with the power. It’s well within wifi range, but I don’t want to crush the connection if I don’t have to. I plan on shrinking the signal down eventually anyways.

I’m sort of stuck in the project stack as well. My garage is full of stuff from the floor and library projects and I can’t really clean it out to work on other projects. And now, we are planning on re-doing part of the floor. When they leveled the floor originally, the job was not the best and we have high and low spots. We will (in the coming months) be pulling up the laminate floor in the living room and filling in the low spots. Then we put the flooring back down without too much damage to the floor hopefully. Gonna be a fun summer.

This. Soooo this. I need to build a shed in the back yard in which to store yard crap (mower, weed eater, edger, blower, chainsaw, plus shovels, rakes, misc. yard related hand tools, etc, etc), as well as other stuff that is just stuff… camping stuff, fishing stuff… garage detritus. And then there is the stuff that I should just get rid of, but I hold on to - especially old computer stuff.

Oh how I wish I could…
I will. One day. Maybe this summer. (I probably said that last spring, before it got so dang hot, when it changed to “Maybe in the fall”… another vicious circle.)

Edited to add: I did submit a question about design guidelines to the HOA Architectural committee (it is really one dude, but whatever), but because of bureaucracy, it didn’t get answered. I finally got an answer in person, but have to submit another request with proposed location(s) on a copy of the property plat (frickin’ really?) before I can move forward with it as a project. There are other pressing needs, like a couple fence posts that will need to be replaced, some minor exterior trim needs to be replaced and painted, and I’d like to replace all the siding around the front entry area, but again, can’t start a big project with no room to work in the garage.

Hah. “I’m going to buy an external hard drive bay and get our old pictures off those machines”…

hahahahahahahahahahaha…

Hopefully before the heat death of the sun, maybe.

We ran up against the “build versus buy” quandary for shed-dom.

There was no single part of the job that was outside my skillset… but if I had done it I would have been out in the backyard every weekend and lots of evenings… basically no spare time to myself until it was done.
OR
We we could pay a company and have it built.

We went with the latter. Paid more, builder slipped in some crap we have to fix, but it was done and standing in a week, rather than months.

My wife kind of wants a yurt for the backyard. Not the tent-kind, but something like this.

Maybe if we move. And we can find someplace where we can get something similar in kit form.

I’m there as well. I think the solution is to rent one of those portable storage pods, move everything into it, then I can do what I need to the garage and start with a clean slate.

That means studding/insulating/sheathing the inside, running a pony panel with the unused 100 amp service from the house, adding heating, building some worktables and storage, then moving most of that crap back inside while shuffling the rest into the basement and all the wood/stone/metal equipment from the basement into the garage. Then, get rid of the pod. That sounds like a summer job to me.

There are 5 or 6 external hard drives in my house (one FW400, the rest USB). They store media and backups. Every year, I’m gonna get network storage and consolidate it all. Yes, really.

Yeah…

I can’t even get a single enclosure to stuff it all in, or an empty NAS, because I have 2 3.5" drives and the rest are laptop drives. Not that any of them are in a state that I could count on them running safely for months or years, as they’re all older and not designed for continuous usage.

Like you, I’ve reached a point where my time is more valuable (or, the time available is not compatible with the time required for the project) and it’s simply more cost-effective to throw money at certain projects than do them myself.