Home backup solutions

I think that 8 or 12 terabytes should do me. Thanks. A guy I know just offered an 8 bay Supermicro case for $100. That would probably be easier.

I’m on a free trial of Arq (software) + Wasabi (storage) for another few days. I’m storing 261GB right now, so I’ll just get billed the minimum of $3.99/month (that’s good for up to 1TB). Wasabi is S3-compatible (API-wise) but way cheaper and they claim to be faster; I’m guessing it’s actually S3 but they’re buying in vast quantities and acting as a middleman.

Arq also lets me back up to a folder, so when I plug in an external drive it’s detecting that and backing up there as well. Getting my internet service bumped up to 100/10 (nominally; in practice it’s more like 60/12) has helped in getting things uploaded in a decent amount of time.

The initial scan/index of my system was very slow, but now that it’s complete, it fires up hourly and just pushes changes.

I’ll probably add dakwife’s PC into the mix over the weekend.

One thing I’ve realized since I’ve gotten back into photography is that I will eventually need to look into a home based storage drive at some point. I’ve been using the 1TB of OneDrive storage included in my Office 365, but those higher megapixel RAW files are going to eventually add up.

I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread. I can’t think of a better place to look for this sort of advice since I’m an idiot. :laughing:

https://www.acronis.com/en-gb/personal/free-data-protection

Found this on El Reg, if you want to add ransomware protection to your backup mix…

After some thought, I decided not to use the old Pentium4 boxen or the Xeon Supermicro chassis. Both of those are comparable and 15 years old.

I bit the bullet and bought a QNAP 4-bay appliance to house the drives. I went with RAID6, so double safe. That leaves me with 8Tb of space, which is 4x what I had before. I should be good for a while.

Mrs. theReallyHorrible is afraid that her machine will crash all the time. In fact, it did last weekend and I had to get her a new laptop when the old Lenovo got caught in a critical update loop. She keeps all of her documents and data on a thumb drive, so now we can back that up securely as well. She still doesn’t want to save directly to the NAS. Some people are weird.

But that’s literally what the NAS is for.

4x drives, 2x parity? That’s overkill. You’re wearing suspenders with your belt here. If it makes you comfy, then great, but you’re pretty much just wasting electricity at that point.

Her docs are a lot less safe on a thumb drive than they are even on the flaky laptop. Thumb drive media is vastly un-optimized for repeated writes; the NAND flash typically lacks any kind of wear leveling and errors are very, very likely. Tell your wife she’s doing the equivalent of taking her data out of a safe and putting it in a gasoline-soaked manila folder.

Put another way: if she was deliberately trying to lose her data, what she’s doing is the second most-effective strategy I’d be able to recommend (with the first being to just throw the laptop off a cliff).

Playing around with owncloud (virtualbox appliance) for the work. Great little thing, wrorks well.

Now I have control over where the data is stored (reports uploaded from site, software tools, utils and installers for the install team) and not a worry about running out of space.

Will try to migrate it over to hyper-v and see what happens, should work.

Will also look at hosting an owncloud at home for our private usage, so Frau Ook can upload ooklet pics to owncloud, to free up droid and ithing storage space.

Work chucked out a dead DC, scored its intel RAID controller, can now build my own NAS doohicky for home. :sunglasses: