Highlighting local events

A thread to help bring events to the attention of nearby people that they might be interested in.

Home Free (full name: Home Free Vocal Band) will be in the Seattle area on November 1 & 2. This is an a cappella/barbershop quartet group that has a beatboxer as their fifth member. They started out doing more pop songs but have settled on country as their main music of choice.

You can see the skill with duplicating instruments in the video for “Try Everything” from Zootopia, with one of the other singers (short beard, longer hair, black shirt) helping out with some additional sound effects. The only thing I don’t know is if they’re using a multi-track recording for the instruments or if they can get them all in one shot.

Check the tour dates page to see where else they will be.

Thanks for introducing me to a new group whose albums I need to go buy. :wink:

/me heads off to amazon…

It is definitely worth checking out their performances on Season 4 of “The Sing Off” I think you can find all of them on Youtube at this point.

Same show that launched Pentatonix as I recall.

That was worth it. They are a fun group to see on tour. They had a short Q&A session and joked with the audience, such as when there was a request to sing “Happy Birthday”, they said they were going to treat everyone the same and ignore everyone equally. And for the request of “Can we get a solo from ‘Special Effects’?”, they were non-commital, but that was already in the play set for the second half.

That was their “here’s proof that we really don’t use any musical instruments” segment. When “Special Effects” (Adam Rupp) did his routines, it proved they don’t have to do a multi-track recording of any of their songs. He is so quick, it sounds like he’s doing two or three instruments simultaneously. He’s probably using circular breathing in order to be able to get those notes out that fast. Adam Chance and Tim Foust also do some percussion effects during quite a few songs, so maybe all four singers pitch in at various times.

More fun from the group. Multiple subtle and not-so-subtle pitches about buying their CDs out in the lobby, and when they were prepping the audience to get ready for a photo opportunity, it was a reference to The Three Amigos!

Do yourself a favor, though. Bring earplugs or get seats way in the back. Tim demonstrates the power he can put behind a very deep bass voice. It will make you feel like you’re being battered by those miltary sound cannons from The Incredible Hulk. He is his own amplifier.

Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle has been slowly moving their event a little earlier each time for the past couple of years. It’s moved from the end of March to March 1-4 this year. As usual, the guest lineup will change in the next few weeks as their availability changes, but here’s some of the ones I recognize:

Actors

• Christopher Lloyd
  • Felicia Day
  • Jeremy Shada (Adventure Time)
  • Mark Sheppard
  • Phil LaMarr
  • Sean Maher and Summer Glau (the Tams from Firefly)

Writers

• Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files)
  • Patricia Briggs
  • R.A. Salvatore

Artists

• Andy Price (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comics)
  • Chris Claremont (many comic books, including 16 years on Uncanny X-Men)
  • Christophe Lautrette (has worked on almost a dozen movies with DreamWorks Animation)
  • Ryan North (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl)
  • Steven Silver (Kim Possible)

I’m not sure if Stan Lee is going to be there or if they’re just using a picture of him for that page.

Updated guest lists for ECCC. These are just the ones that I think are widely-recognized. Check the website for the full list and you might see others you’re interested.

Actors:

• Billie Piper and David Tennant
  • Karl Urban
  • Mark Sheppard
  • Wil Wheaton
  • Tom Wilson (Biff from Back to the Future)

Writers:

• Terry Brooks (Shannara)

Artists

• Quite a few Marvel and DC artists like Aaron Lopresti, Adam Hughes, Adi Granov, Brian Michael Bendis, Laura Allred
  • Katie Cook, Sara Richard (MLP)
  • Erica Henderson (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl)
  • Wendy and Richard Pini (Elfquest)

In the not too distant future, next Friday and/or Saturday, A.D., a familiar person puts on the red jump suit again.

This is actually a national event instead of a local one, but the MST3K Live 30th Anniversary Tour starts over on the east coast in October, makes its way over to the west coast in November, before wrapping things up in Colorado, Wisconsin and Illinois.

When they’ve got two shows scheduled for the same town, the first movie is The Brain (the 1988 Canadian sci-fi movie) and the second is Deathstalker.

We went to last year’s tour when they played Baltimore, which was Jonah as the ‘host’ and Joel did the intro and Q&A. Pretty good show, I thought. I’d do this one, but the DC run looks less convenient for me logistics-wise.