Second issue is : there seem to be a problem with the rear lights as these tend to blow the fuse.
A little logical thinking resolved the issue.
The problem was that there was an earth point in the boot. The car have a two bar (tow hitch?) fitted, and one of the wires going to said tow bar’s plug was a bit exposed and was touching the earth point, causing things to short out.
So that was resolved by use of insulation tape and redoing the connections so there were no naked cables anywhere.
While I was busy with that, I decided to redo all the earth points for the rear lights. They seem to be a bit brighter after cleaning and redoing the earth points.
I have checked, it is possible to get LED strips and use these instead of the standard incandescent light bulbs. A bit of experimentation will be needed, but this is a project for later.
The spark plug leads got replaced. The previous leads had extremely tight connections to the spark plugs, so you tend to pull out the innards of the spark plug leads when removing them.
The newer ones got better connections, they do grip, but not with a death grip.
Rotor arm will be replaced when I replace the distributor cap with a new one. And with that, the O-ring for the oil seal on the distributor shaft.
After that I decided to look at why the front parking lights was not working. The left parking light was blown (I got a new spare globe this morning) and the right one was not making proper contact. This led me to the faulty deduction that the cable supplying power got damaged somehow when the car survived a meeting with Mr Street Name Pole, courtesy of $Wife.
This got fixed after 6 years or so. Duh.
Indicator light covers got pulled and washed with soapy water, these were a bit dirty. And luck had it that one light stopped working when I started to clean the covers.
A physical inspection showed that the light was still good, but a continuity test with a multimeter proved otherwise. It is also possible to put strip LEDs in for the front indicators, this is also a project for later.
I’m still busy with the cabin fan, I have got a “new” 2nd hand fan from a scrapyard (they don’t stock these fans anymore) so will have to clean it and mount it.
But before that can happen, I have to clean out and remove the heater matrix, it is leaking water. But the removal is the issue, I think the AC and heater matrix is preventing me from removing some stuff.
I will see if I can start a Youtube series on this. All of the above are deferred maintenance which I actually are starting to do.
And about time too. Don’t want to be pulled off at a roadblock, officer check my car, schits himself and orders car to be impounded.
Going forward :
- Ventilation (cabin) fan and gubbins
- Rest of earth points and electrical system
- Locate fuel pump relay and put in an immobilizer switch
- Adjust rear brakes (drums)