Foodie stuff - Recipes, canning, pickling, fermenting, etc!

I wish I could grow decent peppers here! It just doesn’t get hot enough for them. I have three Thai pepper plants that are doing okay (they’re three years old now), but I have to bring them inside during the winter, and they’re not very big.

I’m sure you’ve thought of this. But I grow my peppers in a container garden, not in the ground. I used to grow two pepper plants and a tomato plant on my balcony.

I’ve considered, but it’s just not practical for a number of reasons. Especially since I keep moving during the middle of the growing season. I’d as fain let someone else get use of them, than leave them taking up space in my freezer and then throw them out because my next move is cross-country.

Dam Jou cake. Kiss your diet goodbye.

In one bowl, mix the following:
12 ounces chocolate chips
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

In a large bowl, mix the following until well creamed

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 pound of soft butter (One stick)
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Add 3 large eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each until the egg is no longer recognizable.

In a separate bowl, mix 3 cups flour with 3 teaspoons of baking powder.

In another container, mix 16 ounces of sour cream with 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. (This can be the container the sour cream came in.)

To the egg-sugar mixture, alternate adding thirds of the flour and sour cream, stirring thoroughly as you go.

Pour half of the cake batter into an un-greased 9 by 13 pan, sprinkle half the chip mixture on top. Cover with the remaining cake batter and scatter the rest of the chip mixture on top of that.

Bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Let cool before eating. Enjoy.

That sounds delicious. :yum:

Two thousand year old bread:

Quick and easy meal:

Cook one package of your favorite kind of chicken (General Tso’s, Orange Chicken, BBQ chicken).
Add one package of Green Giant Steamers Antioxidant Blend for vegetables.
Serve over shredded lettuce in a tostada bowl heated in the oven.
Add cheese, salsa, sour cream and guacamole as desired.

For a little variety, swap out the lettuce for one box of Michelina’s Chicken Fried Rice.

We made this last weekend and it was pretty good:

Crisp-tender chicken in the most amazing cream sauce ever. It’s so good, you’ll want to guzzle down the sauce!
• 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more, to taste
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 1/3 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
• 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/4 cup basil leaves, chiffonade
DIRECTIONS1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2 Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, to taste.
3 Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side; set aside.
4 Melt remaining tablespoon butter in the skillet. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, heavy cream, sun dried tomatoes, Parmesan, thyme, oregano and basil.
5 Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet.
6 Place into oven and roast until completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 175 degrees F, about 25-30 minutes.
7 Serve immediately, garnished with basil, if desired.

I wonder how this would work with no bones, like maybe boneless breast tenderloins.

I use boneless skinless chicken breasts when I make it, no problem.

The odd thing is we started with a similar, yet different, recipe for chicken breasts in the crock pot. Then we forgot to get the crock pot started, so $Wife found this one and punted to it.

This seems like as good a place as any… It is food related…
If anyone is/was involved in Scouting, please chime in.
We are planning our first outdoor outing for our new Cub Scout Pack. It is a day trip, so they can practice things they’ll need to know when we go overnight camping next month: pitching a tent, don’t disturb nature, be safe, don’t be a putz. (There’s always one wild child, but we have two. Such a blessing. :grimacing:) There will be no electricity available, and the water supply will not be nearby / conveniently located, we we’re looking at cooking on one of those permanently installed charcoal grills you always see in county/state parks or a Coleman propane stove. I’m pretty sure there is no fire ring available at this park, either.
So, the question is, does anyone have lunch menu recommendations? We have had hot dogs and chips suggested, and I’m kind of leaning that way. Someone also mentioned silver turtles or orange cakes or split bananas, so the Webs could do cooking towards advancement. I think that’s pushing it. This is not an experienced group, and I’m not an experienced leader.
The bonus concern is the one family with religious dietary restrictions, roughly equivalent to vegetarian plus fish. (I’ve only ever seen them eat pasta salad, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, cheese pizza, packaged snacks and desserts.) I don’t frequent Whole Foods or Sprouts, but I’m sure there are veggie hot dog equivalents out there, and I assume they would do fine on a grill. (Boiled maybe not so much. That always seemed to me like a horrible way to cook hot dogs. But it could be the easiest way on a Coleman Stove. Hmmm.)

My Boy Scout troop had no less than three putzes. And a pyro or two.

(Sorry, completely off topic, but…)

Oh, gosh, speak of the devil, I’m so glad to hear that. Apparently, one of the putzes very nearly set fire to the Parish Hall in one of the small study rooms a week ago…
He has a habit of sneaking out of worship service, like two or three times every Sunday. (Nobody his age needs to pee that much.) I have a feeling there won’t be any more sneaking out in his near future… We have Coffee Fellowship after service every week. Thankfully, one of the ladies going in to put coffee on to brew smelled something burning on her way through the Parish Hall, followed her nose, and found the smoldering stash of papers just as they caught some nearby paper and fabrics on fire.
So, backing up - after stashing what he had been burning, he fled the scene to avoid getting caught, then stuff in a storage area caught on fire, but that was caught in time to put it out before it became out of hand.
Then the little prick had the ballz to blame it on another kid who was not even there that day - the other kid spends every other weekend with his dad, who doesn’t go to our church anymore.
Apparently, the vandal admitted to it after all his lies were exposed.
He then further had the ballz to complain yesterday, to the scapegoat kid, that he got caught because scapegoat was gone last week. Little shit.

Ok, thanks, I had to vent a little.

A lunch that requires a simple fire and can be vegetarian is a pocket pizza. Take pita pockets, fill with pepperoni, cheese, maybe veggies, and pizza sauce, wrap in foil and put it in the fire, or on the grate. This keeps you from having to clean 50 years of rust off the grate as well.
Also cooks faster than a hobo dinner.

That sounds fun, thanks!

Wow. The kid’s got chutzpah. I’ll give him that. Hopefully he matures and knocks this off rather than becoming an asshat teenager.

A slight variation on this is a pie iron pie. It’s basically the same thing but without the foil. You can make literally anything in these. 2 slices of bread (buttered on one side or cooking spray the iron) and then fill it with whatever. Sauce and cheese for pizza. Pie fillings for a sweet treat. Or chocolate and a marshmallow for a smore’s pie. All you need is a good layer of coals to cook them in so that you’re heating both sides up at once. They’re fairly cheap too. I took one whenever I went camping. Link

Neat, but to make 40, it would either take forever, or be a steep investment in equipment.

40 is a very rough estimate - we have 21 Scouts (though not all will participate), plus at least one parent per Scout, plus siblings. Oh, and over half our leadership are not parents, so there’s another 3 or 4 peeps.

They cook pretty quick (only a minute or so in the coals once they heat up) but 40 is a small jamboree in some places. You might want to look into Woodman’s suggestion and prep some things up before hand. Then just have the little crotch nuggets customize it to what they want.

Also, good luck. Remember to pack plenty of booze for when they go to bed for the adults to sit around with.