Cultural Notes

Only in New York
Straphanger makes citizen’s arrest after hell breaks loose on subway

Basically, a woman on a train started attacking another woman out of the blue. Kicking her, hitting her with keys etc.
One person stepped in to help, but didn’t really do much.
Until the attacker called the victim a “f—king c–nk.” (not completely sure what the missing letters are in the second word)

At that point, people got upset because of the racism.

If it’s racist, the word is probably ‘chink’. Which also fits in with the first word also having two letters removed.

Wouldn’t it be better world if no one knew that?

Yeah, that’s what I thought originally, but then the victim talks about calling her a Muslim so I wasn’t sure.

And while you are right in your second statement, people would just find some other derogatory word.
Maybe “Wouldn’t it be better if nobody felt the need to know words like that?”

I remember seeing the video of that. Yeah, that was the slur involved, the woman being attacked was an Asian woman who just happened to bump into the crazy lady on accident, who flipped her shit and started attacking her.

I think the “muslim” comment was directed at the guy who was filming it.

This individual is so deep in their own bubble they don’t recognize what they are seeing.

Food that’s bad for you is cheap, a lot because of governmental food subsidies. And calling Dollar General a racist enterprise, or an entity that unintentionally continues racist situations is just this side of crazy. I’d bet that they have no idea the racial makeup of the innumerable small towns that lost their little family markets 20 years ago and are just now getting a Dollar General. They have gone from having no food with a 20 minute drive to at least being able to pick up a slightly more expensive gallon of milk.

They have their cause and effect backwards. These stores don’t sell cheap crappy food because they hate black people, or poor people (Who this writer seems to assume are the same people). The store sell cheap food because the expensive food, or “healthy” food sits on the shelves and rots. I’ve seen it in my own town, whenever the IGA would try to stock something fancier or healthier it wouldn’t sell and end up on clearance.

The suggestion to limit the number of stores per mile does make sense in a zoning sense. But it should apply to CVS and McDonald’s and even Whole Foods.

But they’l never fix how people eat by forcing stores to close or sell something people won’t buy. I can’t stand teh level of moral superiority in this sort of article.

Hah, are Catholic Students Satan? Or are Native Americans attention seeking trouble makers?

Bonus round;

Black Israeli Hebrews are dicks.

Reinforcing my new personal rule that I shouldn’t react to anything until it’s been 24-48 hours.

Super Bonus round, is Buzzfeed more reliable than MAd Magazine?

Mind boggling

tl;dr; Makeup community on Reddit is in suspended animation because the moderators banned someone incorrectly and got huge backlash - so they suspended everyone and banned themselves

I checked. It isn’t April 1 at the moment.

Ooops…

Mind you, that is a very thorough way of dealing with troublemakers and any backlash to the admin’s decisions. I now wish more parts of the the Internet would do it as well.

Not so much of an oops, more like toddlers throwing their toys out of their cot.

Ugh, I’m reading this article about how undiversified and Euro-centric gaming is. And I’m thinking about my gaming group in the middle of whitebread America.

2 Asians
2 girls
4 white dudes

That’s the full time group. We’ve had one other asian, three girls, and a black boy join as well, plus another half dozen white kids.

If I can lead a youth group at a Christian church in an area 80% white and have that much variety I don’t think there is as much of an issue as people think. I didn’t do some sort of casting call to make sure I had a mix of kids, I simply took in everyone that wanted to do it.

And that’s all it needs. Not a “Girls can do this!” push, but a “Hey, Sally, you wanna play?” People will realize they can do something if you just act like they can.

Propaganda much?
Vladimir Putin beats Russian judo champions to a pulp in new viral video. Then gets beaten

And the real headline should read

Vladimir Putin does some exercises which involve his opponent falling down, then in the only real fight he has he gets beaten and patronises the woman who beat him

Okay, that may be a bit of a mouthful for a heading, but it’s way more accurate than the sensationalist crap that was published.

Two things stand out about this.

The story of “Old man still plays Judo” is good enough at 66. It’s not an easy sport.

And two, from the clip he and the woman went 1 fall each.

Once again showing propaganda is just dumb.

Agreed, for a 66 year old he’s doing really well. But there is no way you could interpret that video as Putin beating judo champions to a pulp, that’s just ridiculous.

Don’t worry, ladies: A man has crunched the numbers on how many tampons you should be using.

I love some of the comments in there including “literally the only thing he got right was how many days are in a week” and “Guess this guy doesn’t have to worry about the price of condoms”

I’d be doubting any woman who said something like that, but this dude is obviously ignat.

So, in other news, Varsity Blues. Apparently it’s not enough to pay cash, or to endow some chair or something. Now you have to bribe someone to create a athletic history for your spawn then float some cash to another dude to take their SAT.

These are people raising their children with almost every advantage they could have, except maybe enough mommy and daddy time. And instead of creating better people when given the straight up choice they decide to create sponges. Soaking up opportunity.

They couldn’t even bear the thought that someone might know they weren’t there on their own merit.

It’s because they don’t care that their child isn’t actually getting an education or getting useful skills, it’s a pride point to them to say “I have an X who went to Harvard!”

There’s having natural pride in your child’s accomplishments, and then there’s using (or, more probably, abusing) your child for your own social standing. This is the latter, and it’s yet another reason why humanity continues to disappoint me.

I think it’s also an indication of how a degree is getting more and more valuable as a membership card. They don’t want a Harvard degree in order to do something, they want one to belong to the club.

And if you don’t belong then you aren’t anything.

Well, it is also a bit of a leg up for the child to have a good college on their transcript record.

Would you rather hire someone who graduated from Harvard, or the University of Aruba?

In a bit of foreshadowing, there was a bit of a brouhaha here recently because a school sent out a newsletter with an article saying that one of their students had been killed in traffic in the after-school pickup madness. They finished off the article by saying that they didn’t actually have a kid killed, but that they were trying to raise awareness that people were behaving really badly and it was only a matter of time before someone did get badly hurt or killed.
This is a problem at almost every school in the country, because apparently kids are no longer capable of walking anywhere and need to be picked up at the school gates.

So, in the news today is that a kid (at a different school) has just been knocked over in the after-school madness and is in hospital with a broken leg and fractured ribs.

I know this will probably sound like a crotchety old man saying “back in my day…”, but what the hell is wrong with kids walking to and from school? I used to either walk or ride my bike. If it rained I wore a raincoat. It didn’t hurt me at all. If parents are worried about kids getting stolen (a fear that is largely overblown in my opinion) then just walk with them FFS.

My daughter walks home, I have to given her a ride to school because she is in band and that at the middle school, she’s still in elemen tary.

We recently had two or three kids killed just north of us when a car blew passed a stopped school bus.

And Rizak, is rather hire the one that’s the best fit, that’s a function college used to be able to perform. Now it’a all over inflated and too easy to pass.

Your second job and onwards in most professions no one gives a trap where you went, and most of the time no one cares what your degree was in. your

My wife’s old office was requiring college degrees for the receptionist. And the blast two they had lasted less than six months because they either demanded a promotion or they left, because they had degrees…who knows what in, advanced note taking and phone amswering?