Cultural Notes

It’s funny, but I had a conversation kind of about that recently. I was complaining about a song that says, “When I say ‘No’ I mean ‘Maybe’ and when I say ‘Maybe’ I mean ‘Yes’” because, in my mind, that ambiguous attitude is why some date rape happens. There are also vindictive, mean spirited women who will claim that a man raped her and ruin his life. This is not fair. It does not diminish the injustice of true rape instances, but is, in fact, an injustice all on its own. A man who has his life ruined by a false accusation is every bit as much a victim as a woman who was raped and is blamed because she was wearing “provocative clothing” or has her concerns dismissed entirely.

I do get incensed over some of the attitudes that some men have, such as a woman should give him a chance to date no matter what and that she’s a bitch if she doesn’t, that somehow a girlfriend/wife “owes” him sex, etc, though.

As noted over in the Random Musings thread, a vague statement that there was a single accusation against Garrison Keillor was justification for Minnesota Public Radio to get rid of everything connected to him. There’s more details now, but some of it’s still contradictory and vague.

The problem of how people are treated is getting a lot of the attention it has sorely needed for a long time, and false accusations hurt that progress. Related to that are the accusations that are true but are not believed. A book released last week is A False Report: A True Story of Rape in America, about a teenager named Marie who reported a man broke into her apartment and raped her at knifepoint.

The interview with one of the authors, Ken Armstrong, on National Public Radio said that the police and her friends started having doubts about the story, so the police pressured her into recanting her story, then filed charges against her.

Part of where the doubt came from is that she didn’t act like a rape victim is “supposed to” act. She was emotionally detached instead of being hysterical. So as the NRP interview said, the police changed from interviewing a victim to interrogating a suspect. She couldn’t handle the pressure, so she gave in.

Not long after, police in Colorado began tracking a serial rapist. They started sharing information when one detective noticed similarities with an assault in a nearby town a few months before. That eventually led back to the attack on this woman in the Seattle area three years prior, and the police in that town learned they made a big mistake in how they handled the investigation.

Armstrong talked about a former sergeant for the San Diego Police Department that supervised the Sex Crimes Unit. That sergeant said “skepticism can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. When police challenge rape victims, accuse them of lying, victims often shut down and sometimes even recant, as in Marie’s case. That then reinforces the belief that many rape claims are false, which leads police to challenge the next victim. It can become a cycle.”

And so how many lifes were ruined because of the cops pressuring the women to recant?

On another note, the film industry also have to carry some of the blame, by having actresses talk and walk in a certain way, then sex follows - which will reinforce the belief in any male, that should a female walk and talk in a certain way, she want sex - which may NOT be the case.

The cops pressuring women to recant is a cop problem, not a man problem.

:man_facepalming: Apparently the Black Panther movie wasn’t good enough because it didn’t have a queer romance.

That’s a facepalm emoji at the front by the way (it’s not really that obvious). The movie also didn’t support domestic violence causes, little people, or free the nipple. Not everything has to be about advancing every cause around. There were enough messages in the movie already without watering it down by supporting causes completely unrelated to the theme of the movie.

There are some elements that are included because the director wants to make a statement along that point. Others can be thrown in a a tidbit that has no effect on the story, such as Easter eggs. But for the rest of the time, every element and point has to serve the story.

This movie is about a nation that used a unique and rare substance called vibranium to develop very advanced technology and keep it isolated from the rest of the world. That isolationism is no longer possible when some of the vibranium is stolen and another powerful person has their own idea for how to best make use of it.

So in that context, how is a queer romance going to serve the story? Would it have been included just to include it? If so, that really wouldn’t have worked. It’s a subject that’s significant and important to a lot of people. If the movie had said, “here’s a gay couple” and did nothing else with that information, it might as well not be in there at all. That’s the “Chekhov’s gun” principle.

The people with the film have stayed that the two characters in question are gay, but that it wasn’t that kind of film. And frankly, from what I know of the couole, it’s a pretty stereotypical pairing, right up there with naming your black superhero Black Panther.

I’m sure there are people out there that think any movie would be improved with a lesbian sex scene. But did iron man three pause the action for War!machine to have a love interest?

Latin America takes its football* very seriously.
A Colombian defender, Andres Escobar, was gunned down in 1994 after conceding an own goal at that year’s world cup.
Another Colombian, Carlos Sanchez, has just received death threats because he got sent off at this year’s world cup.

You could not pay me enough to play for the Colombian national team**

* That’s the international game of football (sometimes known as soccer in countries that don’t know any better), not any of the localised versions of it.

** Yeah, yeah, I know that nobody is in any sort of hurry to pay me anything to play for anyone, but it’s the principle.

That’s among the things I’ve never really understood. Passionate about sports? That’s fine. Your team didn’t win so you riot and destroy property? You’re stupid. Your team did win so you riot and destroy property? You’re stupid. Death threats? You’re stupid.

This is why sports are stupid. The sport itself may not be stupid and could be an excellent tool for exercise, but those who get involved in it peripherally cannot be trusted to act rationally.

Nice Avatar Rizak!
I believe I had the same haircut when I played Pee-Wee Hockey.:nerd_face:

Now that you mention it, I’d better save the dichotomy for posterity…

Or would that be irony? Either way, it made me grin.

Happens here in SA too. One team loses, their supporters go on a rampage if inclined to…

Not sure about death threats, but when it’s big money, big stakes and big wossnames, then death threats may also be thrown around.

Not to mention the money angle as well.

I don’t get football fans. Like, at all. I mean, I like track and rally car races, but I don’t adorn myself in checkered flags, and run around with a vuvuzela getting pissed and smashing up villages whenever Lewis Hamilton comes in twelfth (twelfth? It’s really spelled like that? f-t-h?) in an international competition of achievement — certainly there are those who do, but they’re in a surprisingly and often single-digit minority.

Football fans? It’s like some sort of hypnotic suggestion. Maybe it’s the whistles? They’re conditioned to regress to the mental capacity of enraged baboons whenever they hear that whistle at the end of the game? Is that how hypnosis works? Is that why if the referee makes a mistake and blows a long game-ending-style whistle at half-time, sometimes the violence starts 45 minutes early? I mean, occams razor might be against me here, but I think I have a convincing theory here…

We were in a pub watching Belgium with my aunt and her Belgian husband and kids. Even though we were in Scotland there were plenty of English fans there, and Belgian. It was all good natured ribbing and jokes. Even had a guy after at a street pub serenade my aunt with a soccer chant praising Belgium.

HEY! Watch your language!

Headline on our state TV station web site:

Belgian rider escapes serious injury after horrific crash on Tour de France that saw him fly over rock wall

Okay, what exactly makes it a horrific crash?

• Deaths? Nope
  • Bad injuries? Nope
  • Multiple people involved? Nope
  • Mangled vehicles? Nope (a bent wheel does not qualify)

This is a government owned (profit making though) entity that is using click-bait tactics.

The really stupid thing is that he actually was seriously injured - he broke his knee cap. The crash still wasn’t horrific though.

Is there any way to successfully defend against an accusation of racism?

Or any of the other cornucopia of social charges lately?

And now for something completely different. This could also have gone in the what made me happy today thread :smile:

Auckland boy’s 111 birthday party invite call to police pays off

The precis for people who don’t want to read the article is that a 5 year old boy wanted to have a police themed birthday party, so he dialled 111 (our emergency number) to invite the police.
The emergency line operator put a call in to the police, who then showed up to the boy’s birthday party with a stuffed toy present and let the kids climb all over the police cars.

The article is worth a read as it’s pretty heartwarming.

Republican Party official resigns over racist Facebook posts directed at black NFL players

Carla Maloney resigned Saturday in a letter to the committee’s chairman. Maloney apologised for her “insensitive” posts and said she would “work to show everyone” who she is.

Maloney called the players “baboons” on her personal Facebook account in response to athletes who have knelt during the national anthem to protest social injustice. In another post, she said “overpaid ignorant blacks” should “go to Africa.”

Yeah, I think she has shown everyone “who she is”.
I’m not entirely sure why such a big deal over the fact that she is a Republican though - there are ignorant racists on both sides of the political divide. It’s possibly because she was a party official, but still …