Cultural Notes

I’ll take “You have got to be kidding, how about using a bit of common sense” for $1000 please.

Woman who helped save boy from burning truck may face charges

The gist of the story is that a woman came across a burning truck with people trying to get a baby out of it. She broke a shop window to get a fire extinguisher and is now facing burglary charges because of it.

I understand that the window needs to be replaced and that isn’t cheap, but burglary? There are lots of complaints about society going downhill because people won’t get involved, but here’s a prime example why.

Meanwhile in non-bizarro land.

It must have been odd to find your truck somewhere else and covered in blood.

Now that’s more like it. Heroic actions need to be called out as heroic, not labelled illegal.

You have no idea.

This woman is saying that minorities can’t understand math as well as white people so political understanding needs to enter into the higher math education realm .

She may be using enough double speak to make this a white issue, but what she’s really saying here is that some minorities can’t handle abstract thinking.

This is horrific, and it’s not the only story like this I’ve seen lately. She is stating that there are strict differences in ability based on race because of the source of the material. I’m guessing using Asian sources wouldn’t be any better than the Greek or European sources. There just aren’t that many examples of advanced mathematics in Africa, or South America, at one time Persians were the pinnacle of math, but that didn’t last for long.

“If one is not viewed as mathematical, there will always be a sense of inferiority that can be summoned,” she says, adding that there are so many minorities who “have experienced microaggressions from participating in math classrooms… [where people are] judged by whether they can reason abstractly.”

It’s math, and you are a racist.

Yeah, that’s pretty horrible. Painful to read. And does not make me loathe academia any less.

Yep, fully agree. You forgot “ignorant and stupid” though.

I like this quote in the comments

Yeah, double post I know, but it’s a completely different topic to my last one, so I’m doing it anyway.

What to say when your friend pronounces her own baby’s name incorrectly

Basically, someone called their baby Anaïs (which should be pronounced An-eye-ees) and then proceeded to call the baby Annay. It’s an article about what to do when that happens.
There are lots of comments about how the mother should be able to pronounce her baby’s name however she likes.
There are other comments saying that this is ludicrous because the daughter is going to be consigned to a lifetime of “correcting” people who are actually already correct. One comment I liked here was “No. Etymology. Langwidge exzistz foah ar reezin.”

My name is “Mike”. It’s actually pronounced “Steve”. Personally I think we should be able to completely ignore any existing language rules and make it up ourselves :roll_eyes:

Yeah, that mother should be given a citation from the baby name police. :rofl:

Part of me wishes there really was a baby name police. Sadly, common sense is not common enough.

Name them Raymond Luxury Yacht and insist it’s pronounced “Throat Wobbler Mangrove”.

You’re a very silly man and I’m not going to interview you.

I’ve thought that parents should set aside money for their child’s future therapy if they give them a “cute” name because of all the teasing the kid will have to endure. Also would apply with “let’s use an unusal way of spelling a common name” that’s transitioned into the above-described “let’s use an unusual pronunciation of a name instead of the common pronunciation”.

I’m sure there are better ways to respond to an accusation of pedophilia and attempted rape than to come out as gay.

I mean sure, come out when and how you want. But maybe you think of other people who are constantly being accused of being pedophiles because they are gay. I don’t care what your sexuality is, but often people come out as a sign to other people that it’s OK to be “X”, but in this case I don’t think that’s the message that’s being sent.

EDIT: And “I was drunk” has been categorically been proven not to be a viable defense.

The like is for your commentary, @Woodman, not for the article. I know quite a few gay people and the pedophile narrative definitely is a thing. It gets aimed at trans people too (because to a certain subset of the population if you’re different there must be something wrong with you). Kevin Spacey is, of course, free to come out however he chooses. I just don’t think this is a good look.

Yeah, as apologies go, that’s one of the worst I’ve ever seen.
“I’m sorry, but it’s because I was gay and drunk and I don’t remember it”

That’s not an apology, it’s an attempt to change the narrative.

This comment on a news article made me weep.

he really only made the side last year due to the amount of injurie’s that we had, he was in bad shape, couldn’t make the cane’s… a move oversea’s will change his way of thinking… still has alot to offer but we just don’t have the space for him

How difficult i’s it to u’se apo’strphe’s properly?
My 'spell checker i’s highlighting “injurie’s” and “alot”, did thi’s per’son ju’st not 'see tho’se incredibly un’subtle clue’s or did they think they knew better?

I guess at least they got “couldn’t” correct.

Sadly, that may be the biggest shock of all.
Apostrophe abuse is among my many pet peeves.

"That’s a paddlin’."

This would fit in more with the recent info in “Random Musings”, but production on the final season of House of Cards has been suspended while Netflix reviews the situation. As of yesterday, Spacey has been fired from the show.

So Netflix has to decide if they hire someone to replace the lead just so they can finish out the series, or they say, “Regardless of how last season ended, we’re done.”

Honesty, the show’s been a bit meta at times anyway. A fascinating way to do a wrap-up would be to do a final run of episodes (maybe only 4-6) completely omitting a major character. For bonus points, have a character monologue about the Soviet era tendency to excise people from photos after they became unpopular, even though this is for different reasons.

Spacey’s character’s “Thing” in HoC is talking to the audience to explain things. It’d be interesting to see other characters steal this role.