Cultural Notes

And telling everyone I know to stay away as well. This is why we need to bring state mental hospitals back. This dude should not be on the streets, and prison isn’t going to fix him.

From our local newsletter:

I don’t see why not, it’ll get rid of the bloody dandelions…

Do they offer a reasonable alternative? Rock salt has been used for years for valid reasons…

Our new Secretary of War. Frankly, not every position should be filled by someone polite and political. Mattis is a very practical man, enjoying war, but appreciating peace more. I think it’s State’s job to pursue diplomacy, if it’s time to unleash the dogs then make them dogs with big teeth that like to bite.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*** with me, I’ll kill you all.”

Mattis reportedly said this to Iraqi tribal leaders.

Interesting post from Art of Manliness. I’d say to update it just make it the universal “man” of both genders. I think the rules on becoming angry or too invested in the conversation are something I should look into following.

37 Conversation Rules for Gentlemen from 1875

illustration victorian gentlemen talking in coats and top hats

Editor’s note: The excerpt below comes from a book published in 1875: A Gentleman’s Guide to Etiquette by Cecil B. Hartley. Hartley’s rules may be over 100 years old, but they’re just as true today as they ever were. There are some real gems here — some of which truly gave me a chuckle.

1. Even if convinced that your opponent is utterly wrong, yield gracefully, decline further discussion, or dexterously turn the conversation, but do not obstinately defend your own opinion until you become angry…Many there are who, giving their opinion, not as an opinion but as a law, will defend their position by such phrases, as: “Well, if I were president, or governor, I would,” — and while by the warmth of their argument they prove that they are utterly unable to govern their own temper, they will endeavor to persuade you that they are perfectly competent to take charge of the government of the nation.

2. Retain, if you will, a fixed political opinion, yet do not parade it upon all occasions, and, above all, do not endeavor to force others to agree with you. Listen calmly to their ideas upon the same subjects, and if you cannot agree, differ politely, and while your opponent may set you down as a bad politician, let him be obliged to admit that you are a gentleman.

3. Never interrupt anyone who is speaking; it is quite rude to officiously supply a name or date about which another hesitates, unless you are asked to do so. Another gross breach of etiquette is to anticipate the point of a story which another person is reciting, or to take it from his lips to finish it in your own language. Some persons plead as an excuse for this breach of etiquette, that the reciter was spoiling a good story by a bad manner, but this does not mend the matter. It is surely rude to give a man to understand that you do not consider him capable of finishing an anecdote that he has commenced.

4. It is ill-bred to put on an air of weariness during a long speech from another person, and quite as rude to look at a watch, read a letter, flirt the leaves of a book, or in any other action show that you are tired of the speaker or his subject.

5. In a general conversation, never speak when another person is speaking, and never try by raising your own voice to drown that of another. Never assume an air of haughtiness, or speak in a dictatorial manner; let your conversation be always amiable and frank, free from every affectation.

6. Never, unless you are requested to do so, speak of your own business or profession in society; to confine your conversation entirely to the subject or pursuit which is your own specialty is low-bred and vulgar. Make the subject for conversation suit the company in which you are placed. Joyous, light conversation will be at times as much out of place as a sermon would be at a dancing party. Let your conversation be grave or gay as suits the time or place.

7. In a dispute, if you cannot reconcile the parties, withdraw from them. You will surely make one enemy, perhaps two, by taking either side, in an argument when the speakers have lost their temper.

8. Never, during a general conversation, endeavor to concentrate the attention wholly upon yourself. It is quite as rude to enter into conversation with one of a group, and endeavor to draw him out of the circle of general conversation to talk with you alone.

9. A man of real intelligence and cultivated mind is generally modest. He may feel when in everyday society, that in intellectual acquirements he is above those around him; but he will not seek to make his companions feel their inferiority, nor try to display this advantage over them. He will discuss with frank simplicity the topics started by others, and endeavor to avoid starting such as they will not feel inclined to discuss. All that he says will be marked by politeness and deference to the feelings and opinions of others.

10. It is as great an accomplishment to listen with an air of interest and attention, as it is to speak well. To be a good listener is as indispensable as to be a good talker, and it is in the character of listener that you can most readily detect the man who is accustomed to good society.

11. Never listen to the conversation of two persons who have thus withdrawn from a group. If they are so near you that you cannot avoid hearing them, you may, with perfect propriety, change your seat.

12. Make your own share in conversation as modest and brief as is consistent with the subject under consideration, and avoid long speeches and tedious stories. If, however, another, particularly an old man, tells a long story, or one that is not new to you, listen respectfully until he has finished, before you speak again.

13. Speak of yourself but little. Your friends will find out your virtues without forcing you to tell them, and you may feel confident that it is equally unnecessary to expose your faults yourself.

14. If you submit to flattery, you must also submit to the imputation of folly and self-conceit.

15. In speaking of your friends, do not compare them, one with another. Speak of the merits of each one, but do not try to heighten the virtues of one by contrasting them with the vices of another.

16. Avoid, in conversation all subjects which can injure the absent. A gentleman will never calumniate or listen to calumny.

17. The wittiest man becomes tedious and ill-bred when he endeavors to engross entirely the attention of the company in which he should take a more modest part.

18. Avoid set phrases, and use quotations but rarely. They sometimes make a very piquant addition to conversation, but when they become a constant habit, they are exceedingly tedious, and in bad taste.

19. Avoid pedantry; it is a mark, not of intelligence, but stupidity.

20. Speak your own language correctly; at the same time do not be too great a stickler for formal correctness of phrases.

21. Never notice it if others make mistakes in language. To notice by word or look such errors in those around you is excessively ill-bred.

22. If you are a professional or scientific man, avoid the use of technical terms. They are in bad taste, because many will not understand them. If, however, you unconsciously use such a term or phrase, do not then commit the still greater error of explaining its meaning. No one will thank you for thus implying their ignorance.

23. In conversing with a foreigner who speaks imperfect English, listen with strict attention, yet do not supply a word, or phrase, if he hesitates. Above all, do not by a word or gesture show impatience if he makes pauses or blunders. If you understand his language, say so when you first speak to him; this is not making a display of your own knowledge, but is a kindness, as a foreigner will be pleased to hear and speak his own language when in a strange country.

24. Be careful in society never to play the part of buffoon, for you will soon become known as the “funny” man of the party, and no character is so perilous to your dignity as a gentleman. You lay yourself open to both censure and bad ridicule, and you may feel sure that, for every person who laughs with you, two are laughing at you, and for one who admires you, two will watch your antics with secret contempt.

25. Avoid boasting. To speak of your money, connections, or the luxuries at your command is in very bad taste. It is quite as ill-bred to boast of your intimacy with distinguished people. If their names occur naturally in the course of conversation, it is very well; but to be constantly quoting, “my friend, Gov. C,” or, “my intimate friend, the president,” is pompous and in bad taste.

26. While refusing the part of jester yourself, do not, by stiff manners, or cold, contemptuous looks, endeavor to check the innocent mirth of others. It is in excessively bad taste to drag in a grave subject of conversation when pleasant, bantering talk is going on around you. Join in pleasantly and forget your graver thoughts for the time, and you will win more popularity than if you chill the merry circle or turn their innocent gayety to grave discussions.

27. When thrown into the society of literary people, do not question them about their works. To speak in terms of admiration of any work to the author is in bad taste; but you may give pleasure, if, by a quotation from their writings, or a happy reference to them, you prove that you have read and appreciated them.

28. It is extremely rude and pedantic, when engaged in general conversation, to make quotations in a foreign language.

29. To use phrases which admit of a double meaning, is ungentlemanly.

30. If you find you are becoming angry in a conversation, either turn to another subject or keep silence. You may utter, in the heat of passion, words which you would never use in a calmer moment, and which you would bitterly repent when they were once said.

31. “Never talk of ropes to a man whose father was hanged” is a vulgar but popular proverb. Avoid carefully subjects which may be construed into personalities, and keep a strict reserve upon family matters. Avoid, if you can, seeing the skeleton in your friend’s closet, but if it is paraded for your special benefit, regard it as a sacred confidence, and never betray your knowledge to a third party.

32. If you have traveled, although you will endeavor to improve your mind in such travel, do not be constantly speaking of your journeyings. Nothing is more tiresome than a man who commences every phrase with, “When I was in Paris,” or, “In Italy I saw…”

33. When asking questions about persons who are not known to you, in a drawing-room, avoid using adjectives; or you may enquire of a mother, “Who is that awkward, ugly girl?” and be answered, “Sir, that is my daughter.”

34. Avoid gossip; in a woman it is detestable, but in a man it is utterly despicable.

35. Do not officiously offer assistance or advice in general society. Nobody will thank you for it.

36. Avoid flattery. A delicate compliment is permissible in conversation, but flattery is broad, coarse, and to sensible people, disgusting. If you flatter your superiors, they will distrust you, thinking you have some selfish end; if you flatter ladies, they will despise you, thinking you have no other conversation.

37. A lady of sense will feel more complimented if you converse with her upon instructive, high subjects, than if you address to her only the language of compliment. In the latter case she will conclude that you consider her incapable of discussing higher subjects, and you cannot expect her to be pleased at being considered merely a silly, vain person, who must be flattered into good humor.

Woman dies after getting stuck in clothing drop box

Okay, death is a pretty harsh punishment so I’m reluctant to say she got what she deserved. But she was stealing from a clothing bin at 2am which she was going to load into her Hummer after she had finished.

Karma’s a bitch.

That was a nasty way to go. Freezing to death while hanging suspended by a broken arm… shudder

Wow, this is rough reading.

Some of the 70’s alt left stuff I was aware of, but in a much more vague way.

We saw some of his future telling happen at Berkley.

If you don’t teach them about it, they’ll experiment and get hurt!!!

Education is the key to safe sex and reducing teen pregnancies and STDs.

Education is the key to fire safety and children.

Education is the key to children being safe with firearms.,asdm asfsadjklnsdf nasdfgk…

No, even seeing an evil gun on TV will turn a kid into a mass murderer!! Kids are killing kids because guns exist, not because no one but the NRA teaches gun safety and the NRA is satan.

This is as effective as a abstinence only sex ed program.

http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/gun-safety.html

A course that works with you to teach people how to teach their kids about guns, beyond lock them up and hide them and never touch them, is the third link down on a google search.

I guess you don’t need to be intelligent to be a football (that’s world football, not American football) fan.

Fired-up (but confused) Crystal Palace fans vandalise their own team’s bus

Yes, that’s right. Idiotic football hooligans caused about GBP40k damage to their own team’s bus.

Wow, that’s an expensive paint job.

And believe me, you don’t have to be intelligent to be a fan of Murican Footy either.

Pence is not the only powerful man in Washington who goes to great lengths to avoid the appearance of impropriety with the opposite sex. An anonymous survey of female Capitol Hill staffers conducted by National Journal in 2015 found that “several female aides reported that they have been barred from staffing their male bosses at evening events, driving alone with their congressman or senator, or even sitting down one-on-one in his office for fear that others would get the wrong impression.” One told the reporter Sarah Mimms that in 12 years working for her previous boss, he “never took a closed door meeting with me. … This made sensitive and strategic discussions extremely difficult.

From The Atlantic.

You spend 40 years training American men to be afraid of women in the workplace, to make it that any sense of anything going wrong requires his career, and that you must always believe the victim and you are surprised this is the result?

You blew up the village to save it. Women were being taken advantage of in the office, and you went so far to fix it that you broke it.

In a military context, this is just common sense. Very normal. We can be shipped home for appearance of impropriety.

Okay, the Kendall Jenner advert was stupid, but why the f*** was it “controversial”? No, it wasn’t “controversial”, it was stupid rubbish.
It’s far better these days to be offended than to take the piss out of something nonsensical (and in the process of being offended become nonsensical yourself).

I weep at the state of humanity sometimes.

A colleague at work commented that if someone cured cancer then someone else would probably get offended by it - and end up being more famous than the person who did the work. Sadly, I think he’s right.

I had to google it… I didn’t make it halfway through. On the bright side, the realization that I would not have been able to pick Kendall Jenner out of a lineup before googling that, makes me feel better about myself as a human being.

Doctor Who has been running a “takeover” of episodes all week leading up to tomorrow’s season premiere. In one of them last night where we got to see what the War Doctor did, Clara is confused and says, “Tiny bit of an ask.”

Is that a normal phrase used in Britain? Is “an ask” used in place of “question”? “Could you explain that?” sounds a lot better than “Tiny bit of an ask.”

It means it’s a bit difficult.

“A tiny bit of an ask” and “a bit of an ask” basically mean the same thing.

So, same thing as “That is asking a lot” on this side of the pond, but in the understated British way?

Yep. that’s pretty much it :smile:

How long until one of these political rallies ends up with a bunch of dead bodies on the ground? At first the protestors were the only violent ones, and they kept upping the ante. Now there are protests against them and they are the counter protestors, and the counter counter protestors are fighting back.

So how long until one side or the other goes past the occasional manufactured weapon or smuggled knife and brings a gun to a riot? Will it be a single individual, or a group that does it, will it be panicked defense, measured response, or slaughter? Which side will be the one to go there first?

Will the police ever actually do something during one of these riots in Berkley? Should they just set up betting pools and have ambulances on site?

This is the end result of saying it’s ok to punch a Nazi in the face.