COVID-19 stuff

I haven’t seen too much screaming about it.

Mostly virtue dancing by the pro closure crew. It’s not enough to be glad it’s closing because you didn’t want to go, you have to state that it was for the best, or that cooler heads prevailed, or it was the only reasonable decision.

The last discussion I saw was a heated debate about whether donating your badge costs to GenCon was enabling a corporate citizen to be reckless with their money and not plan for accidents, or helping a small business owner who is trying to run something they love.

I’m kinda sad it’s cancelled, but life will go on. I’m afraid thiamine death knell for a lot of smaller vendors tbough. So I will be in the lookout for stuff to buy from them anyway. I would say several hundred dollars a year was spent by me on small vendors and sour preeminent purchases.

Yeah, I may go look and see if they have a neat bag or something on their store for this year and order something. I may not have gone to GenCon since 2012 or so, since my anxiety and other neuroses have only gotten worse as I age, but I have friends who like to go and I’d like the traditions to continue, at least.

They also appear to be planning on somehow doing some sort of online virtual thing: https://www.gencon.com/online

Our veggie biz got busy all of a sudden. Not complaining, making a nice bit of money which went on new clothes for the kids, which was sorely needed.

And putting a bit aside for a later day as well.

2 Likes

US to end National Guard COVID deployments 1 day before GI Bill benefits kick in, because of course.

I’ve been saying this from Day 1. I’m more concerned about how people react to COVID more than I am of what the virus will do. As it stands, I am still unconvinced that we haven’t somehow made it worse by doing the things we’ve done up to this point. I guess I’m the CHANGE MY MIND guy now. :open_mouth:

We had to do something, and apparently no one can make minor changes, but I’m starting to see lots of evidence that lots of places closed down too early. They haven’t even gotten the first surge, so when they open back up they may get hit hard, or they may not.

Once again, no one knows for sure what’s going to happen and yet people on both sides scream that only they have the true magical knowledge.

The CDC just updated the info on how the disease spreads. It’s less likely than they thought about getting it from touching a surface that has it and more with person-to-person contact.

1 Like

I get that and you’re probably taking it better than I am. It’s the cynical side of me that says we’ve cut off our nose to spite our face. We knew it was a problem, but we knee-jerked way too hard. Here in Seattle, I don’t know if the restaurant industry will bounce back to what it was. If we thought our homeless issue was a problem before this, we haven’t seen anything yet. We’ve lost some really unique and important businesses to this and I’m certain we’ve lost some great talent, too.

Keeping kids out of school? I don’t know that was the right answer, either. If anything, it’s worsened the issue. I can’t tell you how many kids I see out running around everywhere. There’s a great amount of them that aren’t staying at home. There certainly are quite a few that aren’t attending online school. How much you want to bet that there are kids that are staying home unattended because parents weren’t able to work from home?

We’ve lost tons of restaurants, and bars, and other small businesses. The Mayor of Indianapolis is adding extra restrictions on top of what the governor is doing, and he is already delaying Indy by almost 2 weeks from the rest of the state (Minus two counties)

Most of my county’s deaths have been at Nursing Homes and Prisons. At one point is was 46 total deaths and 42 of those at one of four homes, and two prisons.

Well, we’ve had an example of why reopening locations too early can cause setbacks. A hair stylist in Missouri worked while showing symptoms. Masks were worn by both customers and employees and the company kept track of who came in, so they could notify everyone to get tested.

Anyone remember when Brett Crozier, Captin of the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier sent out a memo saying he needed to evacuate the ship? The guy that relieved him of his command because the memo was leaked resigned less than a week later. Crozier is waiting to see if there will be a review about whether he can be reinstated and was diagnosed with the disease. Guess what? The doctors aboard ship were saying the same thing about the ship needing to be evacuated.

We know retailers are struggling and some big names have filed for bankruptcy as a result of the disease: J. C. Penny, Pier 1, Neiman Marcus. If you look at the category on Wikipedia about bankruptcies this year, that’s probably an easier way than listing them individually. Some filed before March for reasons not related to the disease, but the one for The Hertz Corporation highlights the same problem I identified for Boeing and Airbus

THC runs the Hertz, Thrifty and Dollar car rental agencies. Travel’s at a standstill, so if it survives, they’re going to have thousands of cars sitting in inventory for a long time until car rentals start picking back up. Will they have to quarantine returned cars like libraries are thinking about for returned books? A car is an enclosed space, so while you can clean surfaces in between rentals, you can’t clean everywhere. I can attest to that but in a different way: I bought foam to stuff around the sides of my car seats and the seat belt latches so that if something fell down, it wouldn’t fall into an area I couldn’t retrieve it from. It’s a tight space and there isn’t as much volume inside a car for anything floating in the air to dissipate as much.

I think we’re also going to see some cruise lines file next. It’s the same business model as an airline: High per unit cost (~$444 million for a Boeing 777-X, $500 million for the Diamond Princess) designed around getting the maximum number of passengers in and out of an enclosed space at a consistent pace. Cruise ships have the advantage of the enclosed space is larger and you have access to outside air, but the isolation of being at sea work against it in health issues like this.

A couple of separate items:

NBC News reports that drug traffickers have also been affected. Places they can launder drug money are shut down, including the process where they buy American goods, ship them to China, then the money is sent to Mexico since bank transfers from China are harder to track. When the DEA seizes cash, it’s a higher amount because dealers can’t move it.

Another industry hit is adult entertainment, the one that is all about person-to-person contact. Not impossible to get around that requirement, but it makes it a lot more difficult.

1 Like

I heard business is booming for OnlyFans though

Oh, come on guys, really? Hanging a governor in effigy? Saying “come at me, bro” to a disease? To quote Ron White, “The next time you have a thought… let it go.”

I can’t stand articles that don’t even mention what’s actually being protested. What are the restrictions that they think are so horrible?

I know plenty of our suppliers in KY have closed down, but those were voluntary I thought. But this somehow has something to do with the 2nd amendment?

Whatver, derpy people gunna derp. It’s not the first time a near riot has hung someone in effigy. We either allow all political speech or shut it all down.

I can’t help but suspect this is a false dichotomy, whatever the particulars of this case.

3 Likes

I believe that it isn’t simply because who do you put in charge of what safe speech is? The concept of hate speech in other venues has shown that it’s not a slippery slope so much as a cliff.

People get doctorates for advancing the discussion of hundreds of years of first amendment case law, so I can’t help but suspect there is room for nuance.

1 Like

There is tons of room to discuss it. But they don’t pick constitutional scholars to make these rules, and the courts aren’t a great place to fight it out either. You know as well as I do that nuance is one of the first things lost in politics lately. Hell, Trump can’t even spell nuance. And Biden thinks we beat the Nuancies in WWII.

Hell, even the yelling fire in a theater analogy isn’t as clear cut as it seems. I’ve seen that one discussed until they can’t split the hairs any finer.

1 Like

The “yelling fire in a crowded theater” bit isn’t precedent any more; it was overturned years ago.

Seriously, this is a long-studied and debated field. There are very few areas where 1st Amendment rights can be curtailed in the area of political speech, or even what could plausibly be considered political speech. Most of the case law in the last few decades has resulted in removing laws that attempt to modify that.

A good podcast for some of the highlights: Make No Law.