Buying a new car?

Here’s what I’m calling the safety features and I’m going to use generic names.

1. Lane departure warning: picks up the stripes on the road and gives you an alert if you start drifting across them without using your signal.
  2. Lane departure assist: the car will turn the steering wheel itself if you drift too much to bring you back into your lane.
  3. Cruise control radar: maintains whatever gap you specify behind the car in front of you whenever cruise control is on. Adjusts throttle as needed.
  4. Front object detection: alerts you if it detects you’re getting close to an object.
  5. Front object braking: if you get too close, the car applies the brakes for you. Some variations include adjusting the brakes ahead of time so they’ll be slightly more responsive in certain situations.
  6. Pedestrian detction: front object braking for people, animals, etc. instead of cars.
  7. Back-up camera: explained by others above.
  8. All-around camera: views on screen of the front, sides and rear of your car.

I’m not sure if this is a safety or a convenience feature, but some cars will automatically dim the high beams on your headlights if they detect an oncoming car. I can do that myself, so it’s not a big deal.

The Hyundai didn’t have 3, 4, 5 and 6 except on the most expensive version, and I think you still had to add a package of options to get all of them. As a result, monthly insurance would be the highest of the ones I was looking at.

Talked with my credit unit today. That car search program is run by a different department or company and the only way to initially contact them is through the form. So for what I wanted, I’d have to fill out the form three times, then wait for them to call me back and hope that somehow all three choices got assigned to the same person.

If I hadn’t done as much research as I did, maybe I’d make use of it because they’d narrow things down for me. I think I’m going to take a shot at getting the prices from the dealers myself.

I am old and came from a family that drove large vehicles on a regular basis (My daily driver when I took my license was a 1978 Suburban) including trailers. I have no need for a backup camera. :wink:

Me, neither… but d@mn are they easy to get used to.

My wife’s 2017 Forester has one, and it’s a blast to put the crosshatch right on the intersection of the driveway blocks.

My new car is the first one with a backup camera that I’ve ever owned. I still forget to look at it sometimes, but I find it useful in some situations.

Edit: I’m still getting used to the right side camera too. It turns on whenever I turn on my right turn signal, or I can turn it on manually by hitting a button on the end of my turn signal lever. It’s nice, but I still look in the mirrors and use the old fashioned turn to look into my blind spot.

Mrs. Force10’s 2016 Hyundai Elantra has a backup camera and she loves it. She hates driving my 2012 Mazda 3 because it doesn’t have one. I tell her I have two perfectly good ones inside my skull.

See now my problem with a rear view camera is exactly what has already been brought up; you can only see within the frame. When I’m reversing out of a parking lot, I’m immediately on alert because I know old Mrs Jenkins will be pushing her zimmerframe inexorably onwards regardless of how many cars are moving around her. I know that Jimmy has just left school and is texting on his skateboard hurtling along the walkway. I know that idiot in his Audi M3 is going to try to pull into the space next to me that contains a motorbike that he can’t see. None of this can be monitored from the camera, you have to be looking out of your side windows too. You have to be looking everywhere. You are in control of anywhere between 800 and 2400 kilos of iron and explosions, you cannot operate a reverse manoeuvre without knowing what’s around you in every direction.

I think you’re missing the point of the rear camera. It’s supposed to give you one more place that you can see, not stop you from looking at the places you normally look! :stuck_out_tongue:

Keep in mind that the rear camera is a supplement and not a substitution and you’ll be in good shape. There’s going to be a lot of people who will begin depending on it and forget how to look around.

CaffeinatedNoms, that’s what the rear cross-traffic alert system helps with. Sometimes there just isn’t any visibility to the sides when you’re backing out due to other cars parked around you.

But if you look, you can see!

Although I am drawn back to the memory of when they got the Minister for Transport’s wife to sit in the new Land Rover Evoque, and lined up kids from her kids’ primary school behind the car and asked her to beep when she saw a kid.

TWENTY TWO kids were lined up before she could see them.

Now if Land Rover had designed the back windscreen to actually be useable (ie, not twisted up so from behind it looks like a dog squatting to take a dump) then the rear camera wouldn’t be necessary.

Designing ‘safety equipment’ because your car is too stylish to see out of isn’t a safety issue, it’s a style issue.

I couldn’t see my cat if he were sitting back there without the camera. The cameras are supposed to protect stupid toddlers who site behind cars, though I’ll admit that the parents should be watching said toddler…

My own car has no camera, but it does have sensors. Those sensors have been a godsend when poorly educated children have run behind the car as I’ve been reversing, and they’ve come from the side I’m not looking at. After an appropriate yelling at said neighbours kids, and quiet chat with their parents, they’ve been smarter than to do it again though :wink:

I’ve also driven a few hire cars with cameras, and while I wouldn’t want to swap the sensors for the camera, as another tool (as others have said), it’s very handy. Increased visibility and awareness isn’t a bad thing.

I can’t see crap behind my truck, but it’s not all that much worse than a number of hatchbacks I’ve had, and the backup camera does make it so I can back up to a trailer rather nicely. As well as helping with aligning with the back of the parking spot.

I’ve already got my car, but the dealer is working on installing a couple of accessories that weren’t in stock at the time I bought it. So I’ve got a service loaner for the day, and now I have completely new items everyone needs to factor in when doing test drives: your height and the rearview mirror.

The loaner is a pickup truck that’s an extended cab and does not have seats that can be adjusted vertically. I was a bit shocked to pull up to an intersection and discover that my view of the cars in one of the cross lanes were completely obscured by the rearview mirror. So, if the truck is pointed north, the mirror is blocking any vehicles northeast of me. I never expected to have a blind spot in front of the car or truck, especially a blind spot that’s 30 feet away from the car/truck.

I can see what’s there if I duck my head or move it left and right to look past the rearview mirror. I’m about 6 foot or 6’ 1". If I was two or three inches shorter, maybe I wouldn’t have to duck to see past it, or maybe just enough of the vehicles like the tires would be exposed so I would know something’s there.

I don’t know if you’d consider this a design flaw, but it’s unnerving enough for me that I’m considering just staying home and not drive the truck any more until I go to get my car when they’re done.

I’m 6’4" and I almost always have that blind spot. At four way stops I dip my head down, it’s automatic now.

Damn :hushed:

Yep. 6’ is not huge so I’d consider that a design flaw. 6’ 4’’ on the other hand, yeah, that’s pretty big.

I had the same problem with our old Volvo.

There is a reason I’m over three fifty and can still get around pretty well. Most people also notice my height before my width, and not even that until I topped three hundred.

You said it wrong. It’s tree fiddy.

Get outta here, damn Loch Ness monster!