Assistance Requested

OK, I’m DMing a group of kids at church and I’m looking for a message board type of interface to communicate between meetings. I thought of Facebook, but at least half of them likely don’t have an account. Same with most other social media suggestions.

Any thoughts, I’m a fish out of water on this.

Why can’t you use an app like GroupMe? It’s pretty much just a texting app, but they don’t have to exchange phone numbers. You’re the admin and can add people to the group when you want to. You can also have different groups, like the kids+adults, just the adults, etc. We use it for work and it works well to disseminate information. But, it does not allow for threads as far as I know. Just one continuous stream of message…

How about Discord? That seems to be popular with the younger types, even though it’s mostly used by/for gamers.

Yep, my son and his friends use Discord. Not just for gaming related chat either.

Discord is used on all of the Fandom/Wikia wikis.

Google+ maybe?

So Discord looks like a fancy IRC. Are the messages persistent so even if you aren’t logged in you can see what’s going on?

GroupMe sounds like one of those apps parents are getting warned about all the time. Social media is more of a devil than role playing games at church now. And I would like to have threads.

Thanks for the input, I’ll try Discord and see where I can get with it. It seems like it can be locked down enough to do what I want to do with it. And if I ever get a Minecraft server going again I can open it up for that too.

Might consider Slack, too.

Google Hangouts could work, but has less management features. And less overall features, I guess, too.

I was going to suggest Slack as well. I don’t use it, but it might make sense. I’ve considered it for a few projects.

A friend of mine, his dm runs individual quests for players in discord. It looks almost like a late 90’s bbs game.

@Woodman I’d look at Slack before Discord. Slack is for grownups who have work to do. Discord has features aimed more at a gamer audience.

Amusing, those ‘grownup’ features are why I was considering Slack as a way to ‘supplement’ a tabletop RPG: If I ever got a chance to run the mammoth Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign I was saying I’d want a tool like Slack as an adjunct for the players to give them a space to plan in, save the notes/maps/other artifacts, etc. Even assuming tabletop, as the BtMoM adventure is mammoth and the players don’t even get on the boat until a few chapters in.